Want generic bike-buying advice! (for commuting :)

unsunken

Sep 10, 2010
I'm getting a bike for some use in the city, but the primary purpose of it will be to commute via a bike path. It's 25 miles each way, so I will probably only ride my bike in one direction (at first). I've never ridden a road bike before and they don't look comfortable, so I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a road bike. Any other bikes with gears seem like a reasonable option.

My budget is limited by concern about my bike getting stolen or getting worn out by water. Aka the cheaper the better (as long as it can get me to work in 1 piece!), but I can shell out if you convince me to. I know nothing about bikes (I've owned a sparkly Barbie bike with training wheels, some blue Huffy that saw ~100 miles, and some low-end Trek mtn bike) so all I know is that I want something durable.

Any suggestions or general advice? Much appreciated!

Well, that's a pretty tall order, but I'll take a shot at it. With so many unknowns and the risk of theft, I'd suggest a used hybrid or comfort-style bike at first. Bikes depreciate pretty quickly so you can get some good deals. However, you should read more here and elsewhere to educate yourself about bike fit, quality, riding, etc. You might be better off trying a good bike shop that sells used bikes. You will pay more than craigslist, but you'll have a better chance at a good fit, and well-tuned bike. If you buy on your own, take it to a good shop for a tune-up. Try to get a decent brand such as Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. Performance bike shops offer good value as they have their own brands. Since you've never ridden a road bike, you should at least try one and see if the position is comfortable. With the mileage that you're contemplating, I bet you want a road bike pretty soon, as they are more efficient and you will cover your commute with less effort. For commuting you would want a road bike with carrying capabilities such as a touring bike. However that might be a little to specialized for now, hence my suggestion for a hybrid. Good luck to you!

unsunken said:
I'm getting a bike for some use in the city, but the primary purpose of it will be to commute via a bike path. It's 25 miles each way, so I will probably only ride my bike in one direction (at first). I've never ridden a road bike before and they don't look comfortable, so I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a road bike. Any other bikes with gears seem like a reasonable option.

My budget is limited by concern about my bike getting stolen or getting worn out by water. Aka the cheaper the better (as long as it can get me to work in 1 piece!), but I can shell out if you convince me to. I know nothing about bikes (I've owned a sparkly Barbie bike with training wheels, some blue Huffy that saw ~100 miles, and some low-end Trek mtn bike) so all I know is that I want something durable.

Any suggestions or general advice? Much appreciated!
If your commute will be relatively FLAT, then you probably don't need 'gears' ... and, EITHER a Single Speed OR a 3-Speed will probably suffice.

You will want FENDERS ...

You will probably want a rear-or-front rack.

You probably want a bike whose tires are 1 1/4" (32mm) wide.

I think you would be surprised with the performance and comfort of a hybrid bike. Most hybrids can have racks and fenders mounted to them making them good for commuting. I suggest that you test ride a bike at your LBS. Fit is very important and the sales team at the shop can fit you properly. They may have bikes in your price range that have good value. I also suggest that you buy a good lock to protect your investment.

Thanks guys. I won't completely rule out road bikes, but since I always just rode a mountain bike with a backpack (and occasionally flat tires -- eep!), I figured I'd be okay with a similar setup (riding upright with a backpack). And though the commute is flat, the other places I want to go aren't, thus the desire for multiple gears.

So is the most important thing (in terms of durability) the brand of the bicycle? I recall a friend riding from Philly to Montreal (~800 miles round trip) on a Mongoose, and he came back with all replaced parts. Obviously that's an extreme example, but I want a bike that will last me longer than that.

I'll definitely check out a local bike shop or four. I'm just trying to gather enough info to figure out which ones to go to. Too many to pick from!

Paved or gravel path?

If going to a bike shop look to see if they have any of last years or older models still on hand. There are often good deals to be had.

Really cheap parts don't last, but you also don't need top of the line to have them last either.

I agree with the idea of a single speed bike. Very little to do but make sure the tires are inflated and the chain is clean and lubed.

It will get you up hills with some effort, but for a flatish trail that shouldn't be a problem.

A Mountain Bike is a fine purchase if the price is right but is overkill. A Hybrid 9as mentioned) would be a better idea and can be had for the same kind of money.

unsunken said:
Thanks guys. I won't completely rule out road bikes, but since I always just rode a mountain bike with a backpack (and occasionally flat tires -- eep!), I figured I'd be okay with a similar setup (riding upright with a backpack). And though the commute is flat, the other places I want to go aren't, thus the desire for multiple gears.

So is the most important thing (in terms of durability) the brand of the bicycle? I recall a friend riding from Philly to Montreal (~800 miles round trip) on a Mongoose, and he came back with all replaced parts. Obviously that's an extreme example, but I want a bike that will last me longer than that.

I'll definitely check out a local bike shop or four. I'm just trying to gather enough info to figure out which ones to go to. Too many to pick from!
FWIW. If I were buying a bike for myself, today-or-tomorrow, then I would probably choose a JAMIS CODA (2010 JAMIS BICYCLES - CODA) -- $550(US) MSRP.

The CODA has 700c wheels, and could probably be considered a Hybrid or Light Touring bike ...

I would choose the base model because it has the frame I could morph to do anything I wanted. The components are "okay" ... and, all the components can be changed on an as-needed basis ...

While your preference isn't for Drop handlebars, yet, I know that if I bought a JAMIS Coda that I would probably change the Flat bars to Drop bars at some point in time in the future.

alfeng said:
If your commute will be relatively FLAT, then you probably don't need 'gears' ... and, EITHER a Single Speed OR a 3-Speed will probably suffice.

Remember that this is a 25 mile commute in one direction ;)
I HIGHLY recommend more gears than that.

Original poster, I suggest going to the shop and test riding a few different styles and price points of cycles to get a good contrast. Ride them as much has they will let you and really get a feel for what you like. That's a great place to start before you get bombarded with information as there really is a LOT of good information. I test rode bikes for 3 days before I made my purchase decision; it was worth the time invested and the wait because I freakin love my bike!