want home-made electrolyte recipe

L

Lee Carkenord

I'm looking for a recipe to make my own electrolyte replacement drink.

I don't want carbs or calories or flavorings, just the electrolyte. I don't care what it
tastes like.

I've GOOGLED around........it seems like the homemade recipes all include the following ingredients:

table salt (for sodium chloride) LITE salt substitute (for potassium) baking powder......not sure
what it does Did I omit any necessary ingredients?

In what proportions would I use the listed ingredients? For instance, how much of each in a
quart of water?

How much of this stuff would I drink after a warm, sweaty running workout of 30-60 minutes?

I just had my "every 2 year" physical exam, and the Doc said my occasional light-headedness after a
sweaty run was caused by electrolyte depletion.

Thank you....... Lee Carkenord

Lee Carkenord wrote:

> I'm looking for a recipe to make my own electrolyte replacement drink.

Is this a thrift thing?
>
> I don't want carbs or calories or flavorings, just the electrolyte. I don't care what it
> tastes like.

Why no carbs?

> How much of this stuff would I drink after a warm, sweaty running
workout of 30-60 minutes?

The question is, what or how much to drink BEFORE and/or DURING to prevent feeling light headed.
With this philosophy if you went for a two hour run they might find you passed out on the ground or
worse. Think prevention.

> I just had my "every 2 year" physical exam, and the Doc said my occasional light-headedness after
> a sweaty run was caused by electrolyte depletion.

How did he concluded this? Did he not suggest you drink before or during your run?

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

>I'm looking for a recipe to make my own electrolyte replacement drink.
>
>I don't want carbs or calories or flavorings, just the electrolyte.

"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?

Lee Carkenord wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>I'm looking for a recipe to make my own electrolyte replacement drink.
>
>I don't want carbs or calories or flavorings, just the electrolyte. I don't care what it
>tastes like.
>
>I've GOOGLED around........it seems like the homemade recipes all include the following
>ingredients:
>
>table salt (for sodium chloride) LITE salt substitute (for potassium) baking powder......not sure
>what it does Did I omit any necessary ingredients?
>
>In what proportions would I use the listed ingredients? For instance, how much of each in a quart
>of water?
>
Since none of the jokesters have bothered to take a swing at your question, here is my take. I've
never heard of using baking soda and don't use it myself. My basic electrolite replacement is a 5 to
1 (by volume) mixture of ordinary and sodium free salt. This gives you about the right sodium
potassium ratio. I use a bit more than 1/16 tsp. to a typical 20 oz. flask, so 1/8 tsp per quart
looks about right. Personally I want the carbs and care about the flavor so to the 20 oz. flask I
also use about 250 ml sugar (I have no insulin control problems) and something for flavor--usually
lemon juce, sometimes orange juce or even coffee!

Bill

Oh, for God's sake. Just go buy the purple Gatorade like everyone else. Or better yet drink your own
sweat, big man. That's kinda what the recipe sounds like anyway. I'll bet you always have to drink
beers that no one else has ever heard of too, right?

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:23:23 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>Lee Carkenord wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a recipe to make my own electrolyte replacement drink.
>
>Is this a thrift thing?
>>

Even if it is a thrift thing I would still suggest checking out the cost versus something
like an electrolite pill. I know Hammer Gel sells some. A few people I know swear by them.
On the other hand, chugging down a bottle of salt water mixed with baking soda would
surely make me vomit. I know the original poster mentioned they don't care about the taste
but.... If it taste bad you'll be less likely to drink it, thus more likely to suffer from
the same problem.

~Matt

>--
>Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

On 03 Dec 2003 20:01:40 GMT, [email protected] (Arbor77) wrote:

>>I'm looking for a recipe to make my own electrolyte replacement drink.
>>
>>I don't want carbs or calories or flavorings, just the electrolyte.
>
>"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?

I have no idea why but this just made me laugh my ass off. Maybe something about picturing
myself on a hot long run, chugging down a luke warm bottle of a yummy salt, baking soda and
mystery powder mixture. Might as well be >"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?<

~Matt

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:06:02 -0800, "Bill Reese" <abuse@localhost> wrote:

>Since none of the jokesters have bothered to take a swing at your question, here is my take. I've
>never heard of using baking soda and don't use it myself.

I pointed that out in my reply too.

> My basic electrolite replacement is a 5 to 1 (by volume) mixture of ordinary and sodium free salt.
> This gives you about the right sodium potassium ratio. I use a bit more than 1/16 tsp. to a
> typical 20 oz. flask, so 1/8 tsp per quart looks about right. Personally I want the carbs and care
> about the flavor so to the 20 oz. flask I also use about 250 ml sugar (I have no insulin control
> problems) and something for flavor--usually lemon juce, sometimes orange juce or even coffee!
>
>Bill

On 03 Dec 2003 20:01:40 GMT, [email protected] (Arbor77) wrote:

>>I'm looking for a recipe to make my own electrolyte replacement drink.
>>
>>I don't want carbs or calories or flavorings, just the electrolyte.
>
>"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?

I have no idea why but this just made me laugh my ass off. Maybe something about picturing
myself on a hot long run, chugging down a luke warm bottle of a yummy salt, baking soda and
mystery powder mixture. Might as well be >"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?<

~Matt

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:06:02 -0800, "Bill Reese" <abuse@localhost> wrote:

>Since none of the jokesters have bothered to take a swing at your question, here is my take. I've
>never heard of using baking soda and don't use it myself.

I pointed that out in my reply too.

> My basic electrolite replacement is a 5 to 1 (by volume) mixture of ordinary and sodium free salt.
> This gives you about the right sodium potassium ratio. I use a bit more than 1/16 tsp. to a
> typical 20 oz. flask, so 1/8 tsp per quart looks about right. Personally I want the carbs and care
> about the flavor so to the 20 oz. flask I also use about 250 ml sugar (I have no insulin control
> problems) and something for flavor--usually lemon juce, sometimes orange juce or even coffee!
>
>Bill

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:20:17 GMT, MJuric wrote:

> I have no idea why but this just made me laugh my ass off. Maybe something about picturing
> myself on a hot long run, chugging down a luke warm bottle of a yummy salt, baking soda and
> mystery powder mixture. Might as well be >"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?<
>

Nobody mentioned baking soda but you. Most drinks consist of a little salt, sugar, and a bit of
fruit juice. You are a moron Matt.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:20:17 GMT, MJuric wrote:

> I have no idea why but this just made me laugh my ass off. Maybe something about picturing
> myself on a hot long run, chugging down a luke warm bottle of a yummy salt, baking soda and
> mystery powder mixture. Might as well be >"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?<
>

Nobody mentioned baking soda but you. Most drinks consist of a little salt, sugar, and a bit of
fruit juice. You are a moron Matt.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:35:59 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:20:17 GMT, MJuric wrote:
>
>> I have no idea why but this just made me laugh my ass off. Maybe something about picturing
>> myself on a hot long run, chugging down a luke warm bottle of a yummy salt, baking soda and
>> mystery powder mixture. Might as well be >"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?<
>>
>
>Nobody mentioned baking soda but you. Most drinks consist of a little salt, sugar, and a bit of
>fruit juice. You are a moron Matt.

Baking soda, baking powder.... You're right I'm a moron.

~Matt

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:40:07 GMT, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:

> Baking soda, baking powder.... You're right I'm a moron.
>

Nothing PISSES ME OFF more than someone agreeing with me. :?)~

P.S. I've never heard of either one being used in sports drinks.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:35:59 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:20:17 GMT, MJuric wrote:
>
>> I have no idea why but this just made me laugh my ass off. Maybe something about picturing
>> myself on a hot long run, chugging down a luke warm bottle of a yummy salt, baking soda and
>> mystery powder mixture. Might as well be >"Diet" Kool-Aid with Potassium Cyanide?<
>>
>
>Nobody mentioned baking soda but you. Most drinks consist of a little salt, sugar, and a bit of
>fruit juice. You are a moron Matt.

Baking soda, baking powder.... You're right I'm a moron.

~Matt

[email protected] wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:40:07 GMT, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:
>
>
>> Baking soda, baking powder.... You're right I'm a moron.
>
>
> P.S. I've never heard of either one being used in sports drinks.

Baking soda aka sodium bicarbonate is added to get some salt caps and to settle the stomach. The
salt caps I buy contain sodium bicarbonate and are used for endurance events. I don't know how
absorbable it is over the short term and in a sport drink.

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:10:03 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:40:07 GMT, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Baking soda, baking powder.... You're right I'm a moron.
>>
>>
>> P.S. I've never heard of either one being used in sports drinks.
>
>Baking soda aka sodium bicarbonate is added to get some salt caps and to settle the stomach. The
>salt caps I buy contain sodium bicarbonate and are used for endurance events. I don't know how
>absorbable it is over the short term and in a sport drink.

Please clarify how you equate sports drinks and salt caps? One is a drink (the topic) the other is a
salt pill. Quite different, wouldn't you say? Allow me to clarify for my gay friend. I meant I've
never heard of it in *homemade* sports drinks. What would you numbnutz's do without me to clarify
these threads?

>

Nothing PISSES ME OFF more than someone agreeing with me. :?)~

P.S. I've never heard of either one being used in sports drinks.