Want Lights For Cycling

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Calie, May 4, 2015.

1. Calie

Calie New Member

Want some lights for cycling. Anyone give me some advice?

Tags:

2. FetishRider

FetishRider New Member

I'm quite pleased with my niterider stuff. I'm running a MiNewt 350 cordless headlight and the Cherry bomb rear. Both are super bright and have been going strong since 2012.

3. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

I think that in any bike shop you have a wide offer of lights. Are you talking about lights to the back or the front of the bike?

4. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

If you have to park your bike outside for any length of time, make sure you have lights that you can unclip and take with you. I've had 3 headlights stolen off my bike. The first one was a really nice one, couldn't afford a replacement so I replaced it with a dollar store led flashlight duct taped on. Even that got stolen, but at least it didn't cost me much. I live in an apartment so I have to park outside at the covered bike rack, there's no room indoors if we want to function in the living room.

5. Jerome S

Jerome S New Member

Headlights get stolen easily and mine was no exception. I had parked my bike outside a shop and came back in two minutes only to find the headlights stolen. They have to be secured tightly and if possible they should be the type that can be taken off easily. This will prevent thieves from stealing it all the time.

6. FetishRider

FetishRider New Member

Nightriders have a quick release setup so they're easy to take with you if you go in somewhere.

7. aziraphale77

aziraphale77 New Member

So when you get back from the police to report your lights stolen here's some advice beyond distrusting those who pass by your bike. I wonder what kind of riding you do.

I used to cycle on dark - non-illuminated paths a lot when the battery lights started replace wheel powered generators and whilst the former 'seemed' bright when you shine them to a spot (or as we did as kids into our eyes) they had virtually no spread so were useless in the winter.

Use cases you may have are:
    • Commuting in the dusk - to be seen - but not to see: ideally something that flashes. Make sure it's not too bright or brightness is adjusted.
    • Driving on lighted roads at night. Ideally something that is reasonably bright (just in case you veer off the road occasionally) I think 200+ Lumens will do the trick.

I'm looking myself at the moment for ...
    • Driving on roads (non-illuminated) at night: Be careful with the average road bike, they tend to have very narrow spread. I'd look at the money you can spend and get the best light which combines: good - but not excessive spread of the lighted area and a high lumen count. I used to commute with a mountain bike light that had a (massive) external battery and whilst it was amazingly bright, as soon as someone came the other way they turned on their high beam, I found it hard to suitably adjust that light, there are better one's for this.
    • Do watch out for the battery time. if you cycle 3 hours at no light then using a high lumen, internal battery may force you to recharge throughout the day and night.

8. hajivitra

hajivitra New Member

nice information
    thanks all
    [​IMG]

9. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

In today's world you can get some really nice headlights for under $40 that would put out an advertised 2000 lumens which in reality is closer to 800 but 800 is a lot. Here is one example that I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Brightest-Bike-Light-Amazon-Installation/dp/B00KQSVRF8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431230091&sr=8-4&keywords=bicycle+lights Notice the high reviews on this light. Normally I don't like these ultra cheap lights but this one does have high reviews, and even if it only last 3 to 4 years a replacement battery for much better quality light will cost the same as buying this light new again!

I do not like the tail light that comes for free with the above light though, it's a very dim light that is all but useless. Instead of just $30 you can get the highest rated tail light on the market for under $50; see: http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hotshot-2-Watt-Rechargeable-Taillight/dp/B005DVA57Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1431230331&sr=8-8&keywords=bicycle+tail+lights

Also the more lights you add onto the rear especially the better people can see you with, so simply add lights onto the rear as you get them instead of replacing one with another...unless of course if the one you're replacing doesn't work at all. that is what I've done over the years and now have 3 tail lights and 2 headlights.

10. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

Thanks for sharing those links Froze, like you say both of them look really good and they are not that expensive, so having good lights these days is a matter of choice.

11. blastguardgear

blastguardgear New Member

BikeNashbar.com and Performancebike.com are the best places I know of to get some high quality lights for your bike. Niterider.com is pretty good too but I can't speak on them since I've never used them, only heard about them.

12. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Member

Go to a shop, and bring your bike with you you'd be able to find a lot of great matches.

13. Catsyo

Catsyo New Member

I need to get a new light since I broke my really cheap one. I think I have a grasp of how many Lumens I need thanks to aziraphale77's post, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with some USB powered rechargeable lights. Do they last long enough to be convenient? I saw a few at the bike shop the last time I was in there but I couldn't remember specific brands. They were around $40-$50 if that helps.

14. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

You don't need to go down to a bike shop and have them match a light to your bike, that's absurd. All bike lights are designed to fit all bikes. The only issue you might have is using too much bar space for other electronics, but a light and a bike computer easily will fit together.

FetishRider likes this.
  15. FetishRider

FetishRider New Member

Nightrider..... nightrider lights.jpg

kylerlittle and Sunflogun like this.
  16. Totalarmordestine

The Magicshines are getting a very good reputation over a short period of time so take a look at those. A lot of light for a fairly low price. Look into them as they're cheap yet good quality

17. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Member

It's not absurd, he can look at certain ones and feel them, he doesn't have to go to a shop but it's better to do that, I just given my opinion.

18. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Member

I like using the Blackburn click combo light set. Specifically because I use two sets & I have both a white & red on either side of the bike while riding which I can tap activate accordingly.

19. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

Nice picture, nice lights, thanks for sharing. Nice monkey in the car there too. :)

20. FetishRider

FetishRider New Member

Thanks! My Hot Wheels addiction has taken over my desk lol