Want recommendation on Biking Briefcase

Road Man

Guest
Group,
I want to start commuting about 22 miles one way to work. I have the
bike, legs, route, clothing, et cetera, but I want a pannier briefcase
to carry my laptop and files.

I've been able to see a few in local stores, and I think the Breezer
is pretty good, the Cannondale is too small, and the Ortlieb is just a
big box in which thing will rattle around. I want to get user
feedback on commuter briefcases by JanDD, Inertia Designs, Arkel, and
Carradice.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Freeman

"Road Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Group,
> I want to start commuting about 22 miles one way to work. I have the
> bike, legs, route, clothing, et cetera, but I want a pannier briefcase to
> carry my laptop and files.
>
> I've been able to see a few in local stores, and I think the Breezer is
> pretty good, the Cannondale is too small, and the Ortlieb is just a big
> box in which thing will rattle around. I want to get user feedback on
> commuter briefcases by JanDD, Inertia Designs, Arkel, and Carradice.

I own the Arkel, and found it to be durable, easy to mount, and handy both
on the bike and off. However, even on a touring bike with 45cm chainstays
(that's long) and 172.5mm cranks (that's short) with size 11 shoes (that's
more or less average) it was necessary to move it as far back as I could get
it to provide adequate heel clearance.

So measure carefully.

Ultimately carrying the laptop on the bike was an unsustainable hassle, and
I did what was necessary in order to stop needing to. However, it was a
bulky old laptop with a lot of accessories; the ultralight I use now would
be less of a problem -- but now I have what I need at home anyway.

RichC

Rich Clark wrote:
> "Road Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Group,
>> I want to start commuting about 22 miles one way to work. I have the
>> bike, legs, route, clothing, et cetera, but I want a pannier briefcase to
>> carry my laptop and files.
>>
>> I've been able to see a few in local stores, and I think the Breezer is
>> pretty good, the Cannondale is too small, and the Ortlieb is just a big
>> box in which thing will rattle around. I want to get user feedback on
>> commuter briefcases by JanDD, Inertia Designs, Arkel, and Carradice.

> I own the Arkel, and found it to be durable, easy to mount, and handy both
> on the bike and off. However, even on a touring bike with 45cm chainstays
> (that's long) and 172.5mm cranks (that's short) with size 11 shoes (that's
> more or less average) it was necessary to move it as far back as I could get
> it to provide adequate heel clearance.
>
> So measure carefully.
>
> Ultimately carrying the laptop on the bike was an unsustainable hassle, and
> I did what was necessary in order to stop needing to. However, it was a
> bulky old laptop with a lot of accessories; the ultralight I use now would
> be less of a problem -- but now I have what I need at home anyway.
>
> RichC

This isn't going to help you but I found one at a garage sale last week,
a Schwinn, that is made of heavy wire and folds up and back when not in
use. It also has clamps on top for carrying a small box or whatever and
is strong enough that I can give my grandkids rides on the back when the
racks are folded up. Real solid metal, appears to be made in America, so
it must be an antique, but it has support struts down to the axle as
well as a mount that uses the seat bolt for a front anchor.
I stole it for $5.00.
If I was to find one of this quality new I would expect to pay probably
more than $50 for it.
I got lucky.
Bill Baka

Road Man wrote:
> Group,
> I want to start commuting about 22 miles one way to work. I have the
> bike, legs, route, clothing, et cetera, but I want a pannier briefcase
> to carry my laptop and files.
>
> I've been able to see a few in local stores, and I think the Breezer
> is pretty good, the Cannondale is too small, and the Ortlieb is just a
> big box in which thing will rattle around. I want to get user
> feedback on commuter briefcases by JanDD, Inertia Designs, Arkel, and
> Carradice.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ken Freeman

I bought the Carradice at the beginning of this year. It's bigger than
the Ortlieb, very sturdy, and the hooks attaching the pannier to the
rack angle the bag so as to maximize heel clearance. It's also nicely
divided, and I like the feel of the heavy canvas. I would get something
like the Ortlieb laptop case if you were going to carry a laptop in it.

The suspension is not as nicely thought out or user friendly as the
Ortlieb, which goes on and off the bike very quickly and easily, and
adjusts very easily.

HTH, YMMV, etc., etc.
mark

Thanks to all who have contributed so far! Sounds like the Carradice
has benefits over the Ortlieb, and the Arkel is a nice piece, as it
looks.

I'm still interested in some of the soft-sided bags: Breezer, Inertia
Designs, and JanDD. Does anyone have specific experience with those
items, or general experience with the companies and their levels of
quality?

My wife has Breezer grocery bags, and they are fine pieces with good
design and high utility. JanDD, at least in Ann Arbor, is highly
respected and the shop folks don't report (admit to?) any failure
returns. So the biggest unkown in my list is Inertia Designs. Though
they have a listed dealer here in my town, the shop hasn't had any
lately.

Thanks again,

Ken Freeman

ps: Bill Baka, you're right, info on pannier baskets doesn't help me
too much. Plus they won't look cool on my Woodrup tourer/commuter.
Congrats on getting such a screaming deal, though!