Want some bottom bracket advice

joe90andabit

May 11, 2005
Hi all,

Dunno how many Poms there are on this site but here goes ( maybe my bike is sold in Oz as well ).

I've got a Raleigh Mustang about 5 years old ( more a road bike than a mountain bike though built to look like one ) which is needing the bottom bracket assembly replaced as it's starting to sound like a football rattle. It's barely a year since it was last replaced !
I had it done for me last time but I thought I'd try and do the job myself this time and was wondering if anybody is familiar with this model of bike and can recommend the best assembly ( I'm not entirely sure what type of assembly the bracket should have ) plus the tools l I will need. Judging by the design of it I think I will need to buy a tool.
I'm rather disappointed that the latest assembly has worn so soon, I do cycle at speed but, even so, shouldn't assemblies last longer than this ? ? ?

Thanks.

A lot longer, I'd take it back and give them a chance to make it right or take it somewhere else to see if they can find out what went wrong. You'r not riding under water are you?

peet9471 said:
A lot longer, I'd take it back and give them a chance to make it right or take it somewhere else to see if they can find out what went wrong. You'r not riding under water are you?

Have been through the odd deep puddle but otherwise not. I probably pedal harder than some road cyclists being that I like to go fairly fast, possibly the bike I'm using wasn't really designed for going as fast as I make it go so I've worn the bracket out faster.