Want to buy a bike, don't know what to get

nick-b

Mar 18, 2010
Howdy, just registered here and I'm looking forward to learning more about cycling as I don't know anything at all yet.

My car just broke down and I don't want to buy a new one (unless I have to) for environmental reasons. I'm looking for a cheap, reliable bike that I can ride anywhere from 5-20 miles a day on the road. I also will be using the bike on my college campus, which has a lot of dirt paths through the woods (not too rocky, though), and I'd like to be able to ride through there without falling off.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what I should be looking for in terms of brands, styles of bikes, etc... I'm really clueless at this point, but I want to travel via bicycle whenever possible.

Thanks!

Hello nick and welcome to the forum.You need to tell me what kind of riding do you want to do? Do you want to ride on road or off road? how much do you want to spend ball park?

I'd like to mostly ride on road. However, a lot of the roads where I live (northern VT) are dirt roads.

I'd like to stay around a couple hundred dollars, and about a hundred would be great. I'm going to try and find a used bike somewhere but I'm not sure what to look for.

My dad has a Huffy Blades mountain bike that he probably got at Wal-Mart or something back in the 90's. Would it be dumb of me to ride that on the road?

If you go on craigslist you can find a good used bike. you can get a trek,Giant,jamis, Fuji or Cannondale are all good bikes. I would look at Hybrid bikes you can go on paths and on paved roads with no problem. The trek 7100, Giant sirrus and the fuji crosstown you can find then all used for around $100-$150. If you want something sportier i would go with the Trek FX1, Giant boulder or the fuji nevada. $200-$250. The most important thing is fit you must find a bike that fits you. So i would take a trip to a few local bike shops and see what they got. Be honest and tell them your budget they might be able to work with you. Do Not Buy a bike in walmart or any big box store.

jagonz456 said:
If you go on craigslist you can find a good used bike. you can get a trek,Giant,jamis, Fuji or Cannondale are all good bikes. I would look at Hybrid bikes you can go on paths and on paved roads with no problem. The trek 7100, Giant sirrus and the fuji crosstown you can find then all used for around $100-$150. If you want something sportier i would go with the Trek FX1, Giant boulder or the fuji nevada. $200-$250. The most important thing is fit you must find a bike that fits you. So i would take a trip to a few local bike shops and see what they got. Be honest and tell them your budget they might be able to work with you. Do Not Buy a bike in walmart or any big box store.

Good advice by Jagon and until you purchase a bike of your own, I would recommend that you start riding your Dad's old mountain bike if possible.

Lots of people commute on MTBs but a bike with drop bars and narrow tires will provide an enormous speed advantage. You can find narrow tires which will fit an MTB, though.

I have used 32mm (27X1-1/4) tires on dirt paths and they were fine. They were on a 1985 Schwinn road bike. However, I don't have to ride dirt roads or paths in the rain.

Do an online fit calculator to figure out what size frame you need.

1980s road bikes typically require an axle overhaul, but it's not that big a deal.

Yep, agree, buy used and don't buy too flashy--parking on campus would be an invite to getting your ride ripped off.

Tons of bikes on the used market that should fit your bill.