Want to buy a trials unicycle, what should I look for?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by unitoon, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. unitoon

    unitoon Guest

    results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48992
    Question: Should I build or buy a trials unicycle?

    - Build
    - Buy

    i'm looking to buy a trials unicycle but i really don't know what i
    should look for. keep in mind i'm not bill gates or anyone so i don't
    have tons of $$$ to spend. still, should i build one? if so, which
    parts should i get? should i buy one? if so, what kind? what
    specifications should i look for.

    i want a good uni that will hopefully last a long time and stand up to
    my amateur trials experience. :eek:

    --
    unitoon

    > Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

    > I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
    > a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
    > Unisteve

    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

  2. unitoon

    unitoon Guest

    thanks! i'll look into it. i appreciate the suggestions. anyone else
    have any input?

    --
    unitoon

    > Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

    > I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
    > a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
    > Unisteve

    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

  3. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    KH frame
    Profile hub\crankset
    thompson seatpost
    CF seat base
    KH seat
    KH or Alex Rim
    CC tire

    But that would be very expensive, a stock KH trials is a great uni but
    is still kinda spendy.

    They main points you want to look into for a traisl uni is really all
    in the wheelset, string splined hub and crankset, strong light rim, a
    goodtire. Frames arnt to important but you still want a decent one, the
    Torker DX is pretty bulky and brakes at the seatpost easily, so a yuni,
    koxx, or KH frame is good, seats dont matter all too much cause if your
    doing mainly trials, you wont be on your seat much at all cause of all
    the jumping and hopping.

    --
    Jerrick

    'MRIS!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)

    Kristine wrote:
    > pssssshhhhh, whos been on top longest?

  4. unitoon

    unitoon Guest

    what size wheel should i look for? what size frame? are the wheel size
    and frame size the same?

    --
    unitoon

    > Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

    > I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
    > a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
    > Unisteve

    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

  5. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    Youll want a trials frame and trials rim\tire.

    Trials rims are actually 19-inches, instead of being 20-inches, and at
    UDC when you go to look at frames, they have a section of trials frames
    you can look at.

    Oh, and to answer your poll, id say to build one, if i had enough money
    i would, but i hav to only upgrade a part when it brakes lol

    --
    Jerrick

    'MRIS!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)

    Kristine wrote:
    > pssssshhhhh, whos been on top longest?

  6. unitoon

    unitoon Guest

    i have a birthday coming up, so i'll get some $$$ from that ;)

    --
    unitoon

    > Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

    > I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
    > a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
    > Unisteve

    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011

  7. juggle508

    juggle508 Guest

    Its alot but I would go with the KH one. With the blue alloy frame and
    KH hub set. If you get that you will probably be set for the rest of
    your life. HA.

    KH.

    --
    juggle508

    ----------Joshua 1:9 ----------
    juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701

  8. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  9. giraffe

    giraffe Guest

    Profiles (a little more expensive than the kh crankset but lifetime
    warranty!) $299
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=145

    Nimbus II frame (good inexpensive frame) $42
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=851

    Kh freeride 19" rim (debatably stronger than the alex dx32, easier to
    get tyre off) $35
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=806

    Marwi 14g spokes 40c x 36 $14.40
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=539

    Jim c's (choice of pedals for many street riders) $33
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=726

    Kh fusion $54
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=751

    Kh post $18 (maybe worth upgrading to thomson later)
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=666

    Maxxis CC $30 (maybe worth upgrading to a luna tyre)
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=750

    Total: $525.40

    I think that's a complete unicycle :p

    --
    giraffe

    evil-nick wrote:
    > Trials biker after seeing me jump off a concrete barrier: "How do you
    > keep from squashing your nuts!?"
    > Me: "I use those for cushioning!"

    :p
    giraffe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9372