Want to buy mountain bike online

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
> > Heh! Clearly not. Hmmm: take a design which is inherently rigid and
> > has worked well for a century or more, and "improve" it by moving a
> > major stress point into the unsupported part of a thin-walled tube.
> > Run that by me again, will you? ;-)

> On the one hand, yes, it's pointless, but OTOH there are enough of them
> about in the world doing good service to demonstrate that the design
> isn't fundamentally borked and can be made quite acceptably well for it
> to be a moot point.

No, it can still be fundamentally borked. It _is_ fundamentally
borked, it's simply the case that it's reasonably easy to compensate
for the fundamental problem by means of detailing the tubes
appropriately.

There _is_ a fundamental flaw, but they overcome it by putting in more
material than would otherwise be necessary. That it can be compensated
makes it no less fundamental.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

> Ian Smith wrote:
>
>> Anyhow, don't the manufacturers say you should drain, fill & bleed
>> hydraulics annually? It's something that the proponents of hydraulic
>> disks as zero-maintenance brakes seem to neglect.

> When I was asking about this, looking into the HS-33s, Ben said that
> technically you should, but he never did anything like that much when he
> was running them on his own bike, and it's as close to a "fit and forget"
> as you'll find.

I've always treated the magura rim brakes as fit-and-forget. They're a
closed system, and they use oil, not brake fluid, so there's nothing to
degrade. Mine are now 8 years old, and have never been opened.

Open brakes (ie any decent hydraulic brake) which use conventional brake
fluid may benefit from this sort of thing though.

cheers,
clive

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> What's with those seatstays? I don't get that at all.

>>Surely you jest? The might of the GT marketing machine has failed to
>>communicate to you the undoubted benefits of the legendary 'Triple
>>Triangle'TM design?

> Heh! Clearly not. Hmmm: take a design which is inherently rigid and
> has worked well for a century or more, and "improve" it by moving a
> major stress point into the unsupported part of a thin-walled tube.
> Run that by me again, will you? ;-)

Sorry, which part of a GT bike is made from thin-walled tube? FWIW,
Halfords Apollo hardtails used to have the same frame design (and may,
for all I know, have been rebadged GTs) but they didn't have any thin
walled tubes either.

'You cannot put "The Internet" into the Recycle Bin.'

Pete Franklin wrote:

> Surely you jest? The might of the GT marketing machine has failed to
> communicate to you the undoubted benefits of the legendary 'Triple
> Triangle'TM design?
>
> Seriously, this frame design has been a distinctive feature of GT
> rigids and hardtails for at least 15 years.

Ah yes, the Bermuda Triangle...

The elder stoat leads, in all circumstances.

in message <[email protected]>, Ian Smith
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>
>> > Heh! Clearly not. Hmmm: take a design which is inherently rigid and
>> > has worked well for a century or more, and "improve" it by moving a
>> > major stress point into the unsupported part of a thin-walled tube.
>> > Run that by me again, will you? ;-)

>> On the one hand, yes, it's pointless, but OTOH there are enough of
>> them about in the world doing good service to demonstrate that the
>> design isn't fundamentally borked and can be made quite acceptably
>> well for it to be a moot point.

> No, it can still be fundamentally borked. It _is_ fundamentally
> borked, it's simply the case that it's reasonably easy to compensate
> for the fundamental problem by means of detailing the tubes
> appropriately.

I think you're mistaking GT for a maker of quality bikes. The things are
welded together from old scaffolding poles, anyway, and are so massively
overstrength (and overweight, of course) that issues of design elegance
simply don't enter the picture.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:06:53 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry, which part of a GT bike is made from thin-walled tube? FWIW,
>Halfords Apollo hardtails used to have the same frame design (and may,
>for all I know, have been rebadged GTs) but they didn't have any thin
>walled tubes either.

All bike tubes have thin walls.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:06:53 +0100, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Sorry, which part of a GT bike is made from thin-walled tube? FWIW,
>>Halfords Apollo hardtails used to have the same frame design (and may,
>>for all I know, have been rebadged GTs) but they didn't have any thin
>>walled tubes either.

> All bike tubes have thin walls.
>
> Guy

YEah whats with all the aussies getting blown up?
Not taking the **** I hasten to add but you figure there are what? 100
000 aussies in the UK, maybe.. WHats with at least 7 being involved?
Seems like the odds would be against more than one or two.

And just btw.. everyone I care about in london is both A) english and B)
OK.

dave wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:06:53 +0100, Simon Brooke
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry, which part of a GT bike is made from thin-walled tube? FWIW,
>>> Halfords Apollo hardtails used to have the same frame design (and may,
>>> for all I know, have been rebadged GTs) but they didn't have any thin
>>> walled tubes either.

>> All bike tubes have thin walls.
>>
>> Guy

> YEah whats with all the aussies getting blown up?
> Not taking the **** I hasten to add but you figure there are what? 100
> 000 aussies in the UK, maybe.. WHats with at least 7 being involved?
> Seems like the odds would be against more than one or two.
>

> And just btw.. everyone I care about in london is both A) english and B)
> OK.

Posted this on the wrong thread.. Sorry guys.. too much watching the
tour.. was less exhausting somehow watching it live when I was in London

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:51:46 +1000, dave <[email protected]> wrote:

>Posted this on the wrong thread.. Sorry guys.. too much watching the
>tour.. was less exhausting somehow watching it live when I was in London

Glad you posted this.

A surreal moment for sure!

> I think you're mistaking GT for a maker of quality bikes. The things are
> welded together from old scaffolding poles, anyway, and are so massively
> overstrength (and overweight, of course) that issues of design elegance
> simply don't enter the picture.

A sweeping generalisation that ignores the Zaskar, pretty much all
incarnations of which have been sub-4lbs (frame weight), despite having a
reputation for being bombproof.

--
Pete
===

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
>> Heh! Clearly not. Hmmm: take a design which is inherently rigid and
>> has worked well for a century or more, and "improve" it by moving a
>> major stress point into the unsupported part of a thin-walled tube.
>> Run that by me again, will you? ;-)

> You seem to have misheard when Marketing said "It looks sorta cool to
> some people" ;-/

I have heard opinion that the design helps divert vibrations from the
saddle, but IMO that also resembles the work of a marketing dept.

Stross