Want to know more about the bicycles



D

Deep Flayed Mares

Guest
> > > >
> > > > 12 Patches!?!?!?!
> > > >
> > > > I have had about 5 punctures in the last 8 years, and have ridden a

hell
> > of
> > > > a lot in that time. What sort of bike was it and what the hell were

you
> > > > doing to the poor thing????
> > > > ---
> > > > DFM
> > >
> > > What kind of tyres do you run that never have flats?

> >
> > So even though in the previous statement I said I'd had about 5

punctures in
> > 8 years, you still read it as me saying I 'never have flats'?
> >
> > How could I possibly have stated that any more clearly????
> > ---
> > DFM

>
> Typo, missed the word "almost".. uh dont bother, I dont want to know...


Well, I will try to answer anyway.

For mountain bikes, you can get puncture resistant tyres. These are handy in
places like Adelaide, where 3-corner jacks are lethal. Another technique I
have seen which works for a variety of situations is to line the tyre with
another tube. This provides a rather effective barrier.

In Melbourne at the moment, and I have employed neither of these methods
(coz I have access to free tubes), and have had one flat in about six
months. This was when I ran over some broken glass in a bike lane. I have
noticed that there is a lot of broken glass in the bike lanes of Melbourne
for some reason. Dodging is required.
---
DFM
 
G

gaza

Guest
I've been lurking around this newsgroup for a week or so trying to pick up
some info on an upcoming bike purchase and being on the wrong side of 40, I
have to ask......whatever happened to the old vulcanised rubber patches I
used as a kid. Are they obsolete/useless/unavailable?????
I remember they always seemed to work well, but you did need to carry a box
of matches I think.
 
L

Lindsay Rowlands

Guest
gaza <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've been lurking around this newsgroup for a week or so trying to pick up
: some info on an upcoming bike purchase and being on the wrong side of 40, I
: have to ask......whatever happened to the old vulcanised rubber patches I
: used as a kid. Are they obsolete/useless/unavailable?????
: I remember they always seemed to work well, but you did need to carry a box
: of matches I think.

In modern times, all that is required is a patch, some method of
cleaning/roughing the area, and some glue. When properly applied, a patch
can be a thing of beauty. My mate once had a MTB tube with 30 patches on
it before he retired (scuse the pun) it. It would have passed for a
Picasso in the right context.

I remember the vulcanizing patches. They were bulky, needed a big brass
clamp and were no better than the glue ones we have now. Spectacular just
the same and great for pulling a crowd when lit. You could probably find
a kit in an antique market. Lots of luck.

Cheerz,
Lynzz
 
J

Jose Rizal

Guest
Tim Jones:

>
> "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]


> > I've been using Park Tools' glueless patches for years, and the tubes
> > that I've repaired with these have stayed leak-free. Prepared properly,
> > glueless patches can be as good as messy old-fashioned glue and patch.
> >
> > The trick is in getting the tube surface around the hole clean. Rubbing
> > alcohol or propanol does this well.

>
> Do you carry this in your bike kit then? Or wait until home to do a repair?


Since the little box with glueless patches and sandpaper weighs very
little and occupies a tiny volume, I carry one in my saddlebag. Alcohol
swabs that come in little packets double as part of a first aid kit, so
those aren't hard to carry as well. However, I carry a spare tube, so
the patches really only serve to be useful if a second blowout happens,
or if the tube on the other tyre gets punctured. I prefer to repair
holes in tubes at home.

> Do they not work when the hole is on a seam?


I've patched holes in seams with the Park patches, and still am using
those tubes a couple of years later. If the seam has a substantial
amount of rubber sticking out, carefully cutting this with a pair of
scissors works, otherwise careful sanding of the seam may be enough.
You must avoid applying the patch on a seam which then has an overlap at
the seam, ie the seam must be as flat as you can make it.
 
T

Tim Jones

Guest
"Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Tim Jones:
>
> >
> > "Jose Rizal" <[email protected]_._> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]

>
> > > I've been using Park Tools' glueless patches for years, and the tubes
> > > that I've repaired with these have stayed leak-free. Prepared

properly,
> > > glueless patches can be as good as messy old-fashioned glue and patch.
> > >
> > > The trick is in getting the tube surface around the hole clean.

Rubbing
> > > alcohol or propanol does this well.

> >
> > Do you carry this in your bike kit then? Or wait until home to do a

repair?
>
> Since the little box with glueless patches and sandpaper weighs very
> little and occupies a tiny volume, I carry one in my saddlebag. Alcohol
> swabs that come in little packets double as part of a first aid kit, so
> those aren't hard to carry as well. However, I carry a spare tube, so
> the patches really only serve to be useful if a second blowout happens,
> or if the tube on the other tyre gets punctured. I prefer to repair
> holes in tubes at home.
>
> > Do they not work when the hole is on a seam?

>
> I've patched holes in seams with the Park patches, and still am using
> those tubes a couple of years later. If the seam has a substantial
> amount of rubber sticking out, carefully cutting this with a pair of
> scissors works, otherwise careful sanding of the seam may be enough.
> You must avoid applying the patch on a seam which then has an overlap at
> the seam, ie the seam must be as flat as you can make it.
>


Thanks Jose,

I might go and get some alcohol swabs - sounds like a good idea for any type
of patches.

Tim
 
D

Deep Flayed Mares

Guest
Tim Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Deep Flayed Mares" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
>
> <...>
>
> > In Melbourne at the moment, and I have employed neither of these methods
> > (coz I have access to free tubes), and have had one flat in about six
> > months. This was when I ran over some broken glass in a bike lane. I

have
> > noticed that there is a lot of broken glass in the bike lanes of

Melbourne
> > for some reason. Dodging is required.
> > ---
> > DFM
> >

>
> I think this is because the banks of the Yarra are favourite drinking

spots
> for underage partiers. And when they get ******, they then have no

problems
> throwing the empties on whatever hard surface "for fun".
>
> The same sort of arseholes who stole my letter box Friday night (as well

as
> a bunch of others around the area).
>
> On that topic, someone told me what their father did when faced with

regular
> removal of letter boxes: hammer a few 4 inch nails through the box so they
> stick out the bottom. To get the box out, they inevitably kick or punch up
> from beneath in dark circumstances. A couple of week later, he found some
> left over giblets on the bottom of his box.


I don't think the law would approve of that, but I might!
---
DFM
 
A

Andrew Swan

Guest
Lindsay Rowlands wrote:
<snip>
> can be a thing of beauty. My mate once had a MTB tube with 30 patches on
> it before he retired (scuse the pun) it. It would have passed for a
> Picasso in the right context.
>
> Cheerz,
> Lynzz


30 patches!!!???? What did this thing weigh?

&roo
 
G

Gary K

Guest
Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:

> gaza <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I've been lurking around this newsgroup for a week or so trying to pick up
> : some info on an upcoming bike purchase and being on the wrong side of 40, I
> : have to ask......whatever happened to the old vulcanised rubber patches I
> : used as a kid. Are they obsolete/useless/unavailable?????
> : I remember they always seemed to work well, but you did need to carry a box
> : of matches I think.
>
> In modern times, all that is required is a patch, some method of
> cleaning/roughing the area, and some glue. When properly applied, a patch
> can be a thing of beauty. My mate once had a MTB tube with 30 patches on
> it before he retired (scuse the pun) it. It would have passed for a
> Picasso in the right context.
>
> I remember the vulcanizing patches. They were bulky, needed a big brass
> clamp and were no better than the glue ones we have now. Spectacular just
> the same and great for pulling a crowd when lit. You could probably find
> a kit in an antique market. Lots of luck.


I forgot about that bloody clamp.. No wonder those things have
dissappeared out of sight.
 
L

Luther Blissett

Guest
I'm going to Canberra on Saturday. I'll see if they have any in the
fireworks shops!

--
Cheers
LB

No matter how fast I ride, my posts always catch up with me.
 
J

John Staines

Guest
Jose

I replied to Luthers post because I'm entitled to my opinion and wanted
to disagree with what he was refering to. Whether Luther agrees with me
is upto him as he obviously has his own opinion whether I think it's
wrong is besides the point.

You on the other hand think that your opinion, thoughts, drivel or
whatever else you choose to call them are the be all and end all and if
the person, heaven forbid, should disagree with you then you abuse and
ridicule them.

So get your head out of your **** cos I hate to break your self
delusional imagine of yourself but your a ****.

If you want to discuss this further then I suggest you email in private
or we could meet up face to face and I'll show you what "quaint" is all
about?????

You spinless ****er

I apologise to the list as I would prefer to respond to Jose in private
but am unable to do so



Jose Rizal wrote:
>
> John Staines:
>
> > Sorry, Luther, but I've never
> > heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read Jose's
> > posts an all.

>
> Come now John, you've been shown to be a himbo more suited to giggling
> at gossip and inanities than discussing issues of substance, whether
> these be bike related or not. Why don't you just accept this and move
> on with your quaint little life?
>
> > I don't understand why you feel the need to use someones sexual
> > preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

>
> Ah, so now you argue that someone's sexual preference is in fact
> irrelevant to their behaviour in other areas.
>
> Why, if that wasn't just my point about mentioning someone's ethnicity
> in relation to their riding behaviour... and all that the power of your
> intellect can come up for that in retort was the devastating phrase "you
> ****ing moron"....
>
> Stick to giggles and gossip, my "tolerant friend".
 
D

Deep Flayed Mares

Guest
Someone needs a hug!
---
DFM

John Staines <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Jose
>
> I replied to Luthers post because I'm entitled to my opinion and wanted
> to disagree with what he was refering to. Whether Luther agrees with me
> is upto him as he obviously has his own opinion whether I think it's
> wrong is besides the point.
>
> You on the other hand think that your opinion, thoughts, drivel or
> whatever else you choose to call them are the be all and end all and if
> the person, heaven forbid, should disagree with you then you abuse and
> ridicule them.
>
> So get your head out of your **** cos I hate to break your self
> delusional imagine of yourself but your a ****.
>
> If you want to discuss this further then I suggest you email in private
> or we could meet up face to face and I'll show you what "quaint" is all
> about?????
>
> You spinless ****er
>
> I apologise to the list as I would prefer to respond to Jose in private
> but am unable to do so
>
>
>
> Jose Rizal wrote:
> >
> > John Staines:
> >
> > > Sorry, Luther, but I've never
> > > heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read Jose's
> > > posts an all.

> >
> > Come now John, you've been shown to be a himbo more suited to giggling
> > at gossip and inanities than discussing issues of substance, whether
> > these be bike related or not. Why don't you just accept this and move
> > on with your quaint little life?
> >
> > > I don't understand why you feel the need to use someones sexual
> > > preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

> >
> > Ah, so now you argue that someone's sexual preference is in fact
> > irrelevant to their behaviour in other areas.
> >
> > Why, if that wasn't just my point about mentioning someone's ethnicity
> > in relation to their riding behaviour... and all that the power of your
> > intellect can come up for that in retort was the devastating phrase "you
> > ****ing moron"....
> >
> > Stick to giggles and gossip, my "tolerant friend".
 
J

John Staines

Guest
hehe you offering Deep Flayed Mares? :eek:)

Mondays....I'm like a bear with a sore head :eek:)

Deep Flayed Mares wrote:
>
> Someone needs a hug!
> ---
> DFM
>
> John Staines <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Jose
> >
> > I replied to Luthers post because I'm entitled to my opinion and wanted
> > to disagree with what he was refering to. Whether Luther agrees with me
> > is upto him as he obviously has his own opinion whether I think it's
> > wrong is besides the point.
> >
> > You on the other hand think that your opinion, thoughts, drivel or
> > whatever else you choose to call them are the be all and end all and if
> > the person, heaven forbid, should disagree with you then you abuse and
> > ridicule them.
> >
> > So get your head out of your **** cos I hate to break your self
> > delusional imagine of yourself but your a ****.
> >
> > If you want to discuss this further then I suggest you email in private
> > or we could meet up face to face and I'll show you what "quaint" is all
> > about?????
> >
> > You spinless ****er
> >
> > I apologise to the list as I would prefer to respond to Jose in private
> > but am unable to do so
> >
> >
> >
> > Jose Rizal wrote:
> > >
> > > John Staines:
> > >
> > > > Sorry, Luther, but I've never
> > > > heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read Jose's
> > > > posts an all.
> > >
> > > Come now John, you've been shown to be a himbo more suited to giggling
> > > at gossip and inanities than discussing issues of substance, whether
> > > these be bike related or not. Why don't you just accept this and move
> > > on with your quaint little life?
> > >
> > > > I don't understand why you feel the need to use someones sexual
> > > > preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.
> > >
> > > Ah, so now you argue that someone's sexual preference is in fact
> > > irrelevant to their behaviour in other areas.
> > >
> > > Why, if that wasn't just my point about mentioning someone's ethnicity
> > > in relation to their riding behaviour... and all that the power of your
> > > intellect can come up for that in retort was the devastating phrase "you
> > > ****ing moron"....
> > >
> > > Stick to giggles and gossip, my "tolerant friend".
 
J

Jose Rizal

Guest
John Staines:

> Jose
>
> I replied to Luthers


That's "Luther's".

> post because I'm entitled to my opinion and wanted
> to disagree with what he was refering to.


That's "referring".

> You on the other hand think that your opinion, thoughts, drivel or
> whatever else you choose to call them are the be all and end all and if
> the person, heaven forbid, should disagree with you then you abuse and
> ridicule them.


Excellent. Now having written that, let's now see what you follow it up
with:

> So get your head out of your **** cos


That's "because"

> I hate to break your self
> delusional imagine


That's "image".

> of yourself but your a ****.


That's "you're".

Pretty contradictory to what you're preaching, isn't it? I wouldn't be
surprised though if it all goes over your head.

> If you want to discuss this further then I suggest you email in private
> or we could meet up face to face and I'll show you what "quaint" is all
> about?????


No, I don't want a date with you, and I prefer that you keep your
physical endowments out of sight, if you please. I'm not into quaint
little idiots who have no grasp of concepts slightly more complex than
the simplistic water-cooler banter about the previous day's telly. You
might have better luck with the singles ads.

> You spinless ****er


That's "spineless".

> I apologise to the list as I would prefer to respond to Jose in private
> but am unable to do so


Why John, am I turning you on?

As expected, no comments on the topic raised, but instead another
tiresome, barely literate whine full of trailer trash name-calling and
comical foot-stomping.

If you can't stand any insults, I suggest you stop dishing them out, as
you can see form your post below. Like I wrote before, stick to
harmless giggling at gossip, Johnny.

>
> Jose Rizal wrote:
> >
> > John Staines:
> >
> > > Sorry, Luther, but I've never
> > > heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read Jose's
> > > posts an all.

> >
> > Come now John, you've been shown to be a himbo more suited to giggling
> > at gossip and inanities than discussing issues of substance, whether
> > these be bike related or not. Why don't you just accept this and move
> > on with your quaint little life?
> >
> > > I don't understand why you feel the need to use someones sexual
> > > preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

> >
> > Ah, so now you argue that someone's sexual preference is in fact
> > irrelevant to their behaviour in other areas.
> >
> > Why, if that wasn't just my point about mentioning someone's ethnicity
> > in relation to their riding behaviour... and all that the power of your
> > intellect can come up for that in retort was the devastating phrase "you
> > ****ing moron"....
> >
> > Stick to giggles and gossip, my "tolerant friend".
 
J

Jose Rizal

Guest
John Staines:

> Nice to see your still reading my posts.


Yes, I watch out for them at the same time I browse the funny pages
because fictional humour is great, but your real-life posts are even
funnier.

>
> Jose Rizal wrote:
> >
> > John Staines:
> >
> > > Sorry, Luther, but I've never
> > > heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read Jose's
> > > posts an all.

> >
> > Come now John, you've been shown to be a himbo more suited to giggling
> > at gossip and inanities than discussing issues of substance, whether
> > these be bike related or not. Why don't you just accept this and move
> > on with your quaint little life?
> >
> > > I don't understand why you feel the need to use someones sexual
> > > preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

> >
> > Ah, so now you argue that someone's sexual preference is in fact
> > irrelevant to their behaviour in other areas.
> >
> > Why, if that wasn't just my point about mentioning someone's ethnicity
> > in relation to their riding behaviour... and all that the power of your
> > intellect can come up for that in retort was the devastating phrase "you
> > ****ing moron"....
> >
> > Stick to giggles and gossip, my "tolerant friend".
 
D

Deep Flayed Mares

Guest
>
> As expected, no comments on the topic raised, but instead another
> tiresome, barely literate whine full of trailer trash name-calling and
> comical foot-stomping.


Any guesses as to the nationality of this guy?
---
DFM
 
J

John Staines

Guest
Deffo a Springer/Ricki watcher.

But are you sure it's a guy?

Deep Flayed Mares wrote:
>
> >
> > As expected, no comments on the topic raised, but instead another
> > tiresome, barely literate whine full of trailer trash name-calling and
> > comical foot-stomping.

>
> Any guesses as to the nationality of this guy?
> ---
> DFM
 
J

Jose Rizal

Guest
John Staines:

> Deffo a Springer/Ricki watcher.


Yes, just keep giggling at gossip...

> But are you sure it's a guy?


Well, one thing I'm sure of: The University will be interested to know
how you use its resources to post your trash. You really are an
incurable idiot for not being aware of the consequences of your little
personal vendettas on a public forum such as this.

It's amazing how you tout yourself as a University staff member, use a
University e-mail account, and spout the kind of illiterate, uneducated
rubbish that you do. It's a poor reflection on the University's
judgement, and one which they might want to correct.

Keep up the posts: the dirt which will bury you just keep piling higher.

> Deep Flayed Mares wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > As expected, no comments on the topic raised, but instead another
> > > tiresome, barely literate whine full of trailer trash name-calling and
> > > comical foot-stomping.

> >
> > Any guesses as to the nationality of this guy?
> > ---
> > DFM
 

Similar threads

M
Replies
6
Views
822
Road Cycling
The Real Bev
T
M
Replies
6
Views
281
Road Cycling
The Real Bev
T