Want to know more about the bicycles

Zhang Li Yun

Guest
Hi all

I want to know more about the bicycles, such as what are the suitable size,
feature for road bike? And what are the other accessories i need to prepare
for cycling?

Thank you

Zhang Li Yun wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to know more about the bicycles, such as what are the suitable size,
> feature for road bike? And what are the other accessories i need to prepare
> for cycling?
>
> Thank you

Best to get thee to the local reputable bike shop. They would be best to
advise what suits your budget.Where are you located? We could recommend
some shops.

As well as the bike as a bare minimum you will need a helmet, a pump and
a puncture repair kit.

--
Cheers
LB

also,
what kind of riding do you wish to do?
here in the country it is ideal for mountain biking

in the city a faster bike might be better.

the best feature for good cycling is strong legs!
Once you are proficient at riding and have an appreciation of the machine
you are on and know what you want to do
then you will know what to get.
a good secondhand machine fitted by a reputable bike shop will do.
"Zhang Li Yun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I want to know more about the bicycles, such as what are the suitable

size,
> feature for road bike? And what are the other accessories i need to

prepare
> for cycling?
>
> Thank you

Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Zhang Li Yun wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I want to know more about the bicycles, such as what are the suitable

size,
> > feature for road bike? And what are the other accessories i need to

prepare
> > for cycling?
> >
> > Thank you
> >

> Best to get thee to the local reputable bike shop. They would be best to
> advise what suits your budget.Where are you located? We could recommend
> some shops.
>
> As well as the bike as a bare minimum you will need a helmet, a pump and
> a puncture repair kit.

If it's mainly urban riding you are planning, I would say you don't need a
pump and puncture repair kit as much as front / rear lights, and a good
lock. I would also put mudguards higher on the list of necessities too.

With reasonable tires, punctures should be rare, and service stations has
pumps which are usually free.
---
DFM

Zhang Li Yun, having spent a considerable amount of time in China, which
is where I assume you are from, good luck. I've seen millions of
bicycles in China, but I'm yet to see a decent road bike (come to that
there aren't many decent roads for riding a good road bike on, but the
potential is there). If you live anywhere away from the big cities on
the east coast of China, you'll be taking your life into your own hands.
The trucks are overloaded and omnipresent, car drivers have no regard
for road rules and cyclists are very vulnerable.

It's sad to see the demise of the bicycle as a means of transport in
China. More and more cars are on the road every day and cyclists are
gradually being squeezed out of their dominant position on the roads,
especially in urban areas.

I'm sure there are good road bike made in China and it might take a bit
of searching to find a manufacturer and sales agent. Then you have the
issue of security of your beautiful machine, if you buy one.

Good luck with your search.

Spider1977 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Zhang Li Yun, having spent a considerable amount of time in China, which
> is where I assume you are from, good luck. I've seen millions of
> bicycles in China, but I'm yet to see a decent road bike (come to that
> there aren't many decent roads for riding a good road bike on, but the
> potential is there). If you live anywhere away from the big cities on
> the east coast of China, you'll be taking your life into your own hands.
> The trucks are overloaded and omnipresent, car drivers have no regard
> for road rules and cyclists are very vulnerable.
>
> It's sad to see the demise of the bicycle as a means of transport in
> China. More and more cars are on the road every day and cyclists are
> gradually being squeezed out of their dominant position on the roads,
> especially in urban areas.
>
> I'm sure there are good road bike made in China and it might take a bit
> of searching to find a manufacturer and sales agent. Then you have the
> issue of security of your beautiful machine, if you buy one.
>
> Good luck with your search.

China?
The original posting is from the Uni of WA...

"Deep Flayed Mares" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:gkV%[email protected]...
> Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > Zhang Li Yun wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I want to know more about the bicycles, such as what are the suitable

> size,
> > > feature for road bike? And what are the other accessories i need to

> prepare
> > > for cycling?
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > >

> > Best to get thee to the local reputable bike shop. They would be best to
> > advise what suits your budget.Where are you located? We could recommend
> > some shops.
> >
> > As well as the bike as a bare minimum you will need a helmet, a pump and
> > a puncture repair kit.

> If it's mainly urban riding you are planning, I would say you don't need a
> pump and puncture repair kit as much as front / rear lights, and a good
> lock. I would also put mudguards higher on the list of necessities too.
>
> With reasonable tires, punctures should be rare, and service stations has
> pumps which are usually free.
> ---
> DFM

You stupid... is essential that you have a hand pump, puncture repair kit
and a helmet to protect your head.
Dont go with out these 3 items. you can go with out it like DFM if your bike
grows cob web.

Other things that is good to have is front and rear lights, gloves, lock,
foot pump and spare tubes.

Forget about mudguards they are for geeks.

"Leon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > If it's mainly urban riding you are planning, I would say you don't

need a
> > pump and puncture repair kit as much as front / rear lights, and a

good
> > lock. I would also put mudguards higher on the list of necessities

too.

> > With reasonable tires, punctures should be rare, and service

stations has
> > pumps which are usually free.
> > DFM
> >

> You stupid... is essential that you have a hand pump, puncture repair

kit
> and a helmet to protect your head.
> Dont go with out these 3 items. you can go with out it like DFM if

your bike
> grows cob web.

Eh?! Like DFM said, if you are riding in the city, you generally don't
need
a pump or a puncture kit. I carry a pump because I have one and it
mounts
neatly to the frame. What happens when I get a puncture? Tyre goes down
and I walk to the train! Carrying a spare tube and some tyre levers (if
you
need them) would be better idea than a pump - servo pumps work fine. If
you have presta valves - get the tiny presta-to-schraeder adapter.
I've never done a roadside puncture repair. I carry spare tubes on long
rides and find other transport on urban rides (if I puncture).

> Other things that is good to have is front and rear lights, gloves,

lock,
> foot pump and spare tubes.

Lights for night riding certainly, I only bought gloves when my rides
started getting up near 100k's. But I might have a higher pain
threshold (read: stupidity level) than most riders!
It's actually nice to ditch the gloves every now and then.
Lock is only necessary if you leave your bike outside. If you have
a nice boss (like mine) you can bring your bike into the office! :)
Foot pump?! Aren't they for lilos down at the beach/camping?
I have hand pumps and a track pump. But neither of these HAVE
to be carried on a ride.

> Forget about mudguards they are for geeks.

....and people who want to stay clean and dry.
(Having said that, I don't own any - but then sometimes I like to get
dirty!) :)

hippy

Leon <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Deep Flayed Mares" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:gkV%[email protected]...
> > Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote

in
> > message news:[email protected]...

suitable
> > size,

> > prepare

> > > Best to get thee to the local reputable bike shop. They would be best

> > > advise what suits your budget.Where are you located? We could

recommend
> > > some shops.
> > >
> > > As well as the bike as a bare minimum you will need a helmet, a pump

and
> > > a puncture repair kit.

> > If it's mainly urban riding you are planning, I would say you don't need

> > pump and puncture repair kit as much as front / rear lights, and a good
> > lock. I would also put mudguards higher on the list of necessities too.
> >
> > With reasonable tires, punctures should be rare, and service stations

has
> > pumps which are usually free.
> > ---
> > DFM
> >

> You stupid... is essential that you have a hand pump, puncture repair kit
> and a helmet to protect your head.
> Dont go with out these 3 items. you can go with out it like DFM if your

bike
> grows cob web.

?????

I think you tried to insult me, but you wrote it so incomprehensibly that
it's hard to tell.

Like Hippy said, puncture repair kits and pumps are far from essential. I
can't recall the last time I saw someone patching a tire on the side of the
road. Why bother when you can get a tube for only $4?
---
DFM

Deeply Flawed Mores wrote:
> Like Hippy said, puncture repair kits and pumps are far from essential. I
> can't recall the last time I saw someone patching a tire on the side of the
> road. Why bother when you can get a tube for only $4?
> ---
> DFM

You must mean US$4 judging by the way you spelled "tyre", which is a bit
more expensive in the nicely-coloured money we use here.

Me, I always carry a spare tube, pump, and patch kit, whether I'm doing
my 4km commute, my 30km morning training, a rec ride with my partner, or
my occasional 100km+ forays on the weekends. To answer your question, if
you'd been in Centennial Park (that's in Sydney, Australia) last week,
you'd have seen me changing a tube then. If service stations were
omnipresent and/or public transport went where I want, when I want it,
at a sensible price, why would there be bike commuters in the first
place (apart from it's fun and I don't have to jam my 187cm into a tiny
bus seat next to a smelly tramp [that's "bum" to you in the US] or a kid
with a doof-doof Walkman)?

&roo

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Deeply Flawed Mores wrote:
> > Like Hippy said, puncture repair kits and pumps are far from essential.

> > can't recall the last time I saw someone patching a tire on the side of

the
> > road. Why bother when you can get a tube for only $4?
> > ---
> > DFM
> >

> You must mean US$4 judging by the way you spelled "tyre", which is a bit
> more expensive in the nicely-coloured money we use here.

********! One small spelling mistake, and you think I'm a yank?

Actually I will profess to not having bought a tube for a while (coz I have
not had a puncture for years), so I guess they cost more now. Either way,
good tires and good aim should mean punctures are rare.
---
DFM

Shane Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:

> in article [email protected], hippy wrote:
>
> > if you are riding in the city, you generally don't need a pump or a puncture
> > kit.

> When I bought my first bike in many years, I asked the salesman about repair
> kits. He recommended what he carried: a mobile phone and taxi fare.

I was talking to another cyclist while out on the road one day, when I
noticed he had no pump nor spare tube. So I asked him what he does when
he punctures. From his employer he gets free Cabcharge vouchers, so
thats what he'd use...

Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the
training ride.

> Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the
> training ride.

Given that you have to wait for the glue to dry, how long does it actually
take to repair a puncture? I would think that if you could fix a hole in 30
mins you would be doing well. Personally, $7 for a new tube would be money
well spent for me. My time is worth more than $14 / hour.

*shrug*
---
DFM

"Deep Flayed Mares" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> > Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the
> > training ride.

> Given that you have to wait for the glue to dry, how long does it actually
> take to repair a puncture? I would think that if you could fix a hole in

30
> mins you would be doing well. Personally, $7 for a new tube would be money
> well spent for me. My time is worth more than $14 / hour.
>
> *shrug*
> ---
> DFM

If you carry a spare and a repair kit you have more options.

You can replace the tyre, then at work/home/destination repair the puncture
in under 5 minutes, then you have a spare for the next ride.

Also, if you get a second flat away from public transport/access to taxis
etc......

Tim

"hippy" wrote

> Service stations AREN'T omnipresent?!? They always seem that way to
> me! It can't be much more than a 2k walk between any servo on _my_
> commute.

On my way to work (by motorcycle, it's 55 kms) I pass two servos, and
I work 3 kms from the centre of Perth. That'd be a long walk with a
flat tyre.

Theo

replace spare tube: 5 min
repair puncture and replace: 7 or 8 min

I wait till the glue has lost its shininess, takes about 60 seconds,
with some blowing. No time at all. The fix is permanent.

Patches at 20c each versus dropping $8 every 3 or 4 weeks (racing
tyres). If I can't find the hole right away, I'd use the spare and fix
it at home.

Deep Flayed Mares <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the
> > training ride.

> Given that you have to wait for the glue to dry, how long does it actually
> take to repair a puncture? I would think that if you could fix a hole in 30
> mins you would be doing well. Personally, $7 for a new tube would be money
> well spent for me. My time is worth more than $14 / hour.
>
> *shrug*
> ---
> DFM

"Gary K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1g0349s.2b5xuqyk96z4N%[email protected]...
> I wait till the glue has lost its shininess, takes about 60 seconds,
> with some blowing. No time at all. The fix is permanent.

My patch jobs never worked properly if I didn't leave them
for ages - like 10-20 minutes. I didn't blow on them or anything
though. All the ones I rushed would end up peeling off soon after
fitting onto the wheel.

I swap tubes while on the road and fix the punctures at home.
Oh, I just realised that I do actually carry a puncture kit, but that's
only because I use the tyre levers off it - I've never contemplated
doing a roadside puncture repair.

> Patches at 20c each versus dropping $8 every 3 or 4 weeks (racing

Which reminds me.. I need more patches.

hippy

I never spend "minutes" waiting on the roadside. Try blowing on it next
time. At home I'd give it plenty of time, go watch tv or something.
Usually I do just replace the tube, but If I happen to see where the
hole is I think "what the hell", saves me fixing it at home at least.

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Gary K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1g0349s.2b5xuqyk96z4N%[email protected]...
> > I wait till the glue has lost its shininess, takes about 60 seconds,
> > with some blowing. No time at all. The fix is permanent.

> My patch jobs never worked properly if I didn't leave them
> for ages - like 10-20 minutes. I didn't blow on them or anything
> though. All the ones I rushed would end up peeling off soon after
> fitting onto the wheel.
>
> I swap tubes while on the road and fix the punctures at home.
> Oh, I just realised that I do actually carry a puncture kit, but that's
> only because I use the tyre levers off it - I've never contemplated
> doing a roadside puncture repair.
>
> > Patches at 20c each versus dropping $8 every 3 or 4 weeks (racing

> Which reminds me.. I need more patches.
>
> hippy

What does a derogatory msg like that have to do with wanting to fix a
punture?

So what your saying, is that, your "a ****" if you choose to buy a
replacement tube instead of fixing it? Sorry, Luther, but I've never
heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read Jose's
posts an all.

I don't understand why you feel the need to use someones sexual
preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

It's all a matter of choice. People who replace tubes (myself included)
when they puncture do so because we choose to or in my case because I'm
lazy! :eek:)

Now where did I put my eyeliner? ;o)

John

Luther Blissett wrote:

> hippy wrote:
> > "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>You must mean US$4 judging by the way you spelled "tyre", which is a bit
> >>more expensive in the nicely-coloured money we use here.

> > I pay roughly $7 per tube.
> >

> >>Me, I always carry a spare tube, pump, and patch kit, whether I'm doing
> >>my 4km commute, my 30km morning training, a rec ride with my partner, or

> > Now, this is possibly one of the most pointless arguments i've had, but...
> > on a 4k commute, when you carry a spare tube, why do you need a patch
> > kit too? I could walk the 4k quicker than I could remove the tube, find
> > the puncture, scrub it, whack some glue on, wait for it to go sticky, patch
> > it, wait a bit more, reinstall tube.
> > Maybe on an out-of-the-way 100k training ride a patch kit is useful, but
> > 30k's? How far away is public transport for you?
> > I have it good because I ride along a train line, but still, there's lots of
> > people with cars and taxi's, buses, trains, trams, boats, planes.. okay
> > so I'm getting a little carried away ;)
> >

> >>if you'd been in Centennial Park (that's in Sydney, Australia) last week,
> >>you'd have seen me changing a tube then. If service stations were

> > So, Sydney-siders, how far away is the nearest servo and/or train station
> > from Centennial Park?
> >

> >>omnipresent and/or public transport went where I want, when I want it,

> > Service stations AREN'T omnipresent?!? They always seem that way to
> > me! It can't be much more than a 2k walk between any servo on _my_
> > commute.
> >

> >>at a sensible price, why would there be bike commuters in the first
> >>place (apart from it's fun and I don't have to jam my 187cm into a tiny
> >>bus seat next to a smelly tramp [that's "bum" to you in the US] or a kid
> >>with a doof-doof Walkman)?

> > Hey, leave the doofers alone!
> >
> > hippy | yppih
> > drunk, doofing and proud! (or something)
> >

> I can't believe you poofs that won't patch tubes. I guess with your
> lipstick, makeup etc in your handbags there is no room for a patch
> repair kit.
> It takes around 7 minutes to patch a tube, less than five if you are in
> a hurry. My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2
> repair kit from K-Mart.
>
> --
> Cheers
> LB

John Staines:

> Sorry, Luther, but I've never
> heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read Jose's
> posts an all.

Come now John, you've been shown to be a himbo more suited to giggling
at gossip and inanities than discussing issues of substance, whether
these be bike related or not. Why don't you just accept this and move
on with your quaint little life?

> I don't understand why you feel the need to use someones sexual
> preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

Ah, so now you argue that someone's sexual preference is in fact
irrelevant to their behaviour in other areas.

Why, if that wasn't just my point about mentioning someone's ethnicity
in relation to their riding behaviour... and all that the power of your
intellect can come up for that in retort was the devastating phrase "you
****ing moron"....

Stick to giggles and gossip, my "tolerant friend".