Want to know more about the bicycles

replace spare tube: 5 min repair puncture and replace: 7 or 8 min

I wait till the glue has lost its shininess, takes about 60 seconds, with some blowing. No time at
all. The fix is permanent.

Patches at 20c each versus dropping $8 every 3 or 4 weeks (racing tyres). If I can't find the hole
right away, I'd use the spare and fix it at home.

Deep Flayed Mares <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the training ride.
>
> Given that you have to wait for the glue to dry, how long does it actually take to repair a
> puncture? I would think that if you could fix a hole in 30 mins you would be doing well.
> Personally, $7 for a new tube would be money well spent for me. My time is worth more than
> $14 / hour.
>
> *shrug*
> ---
> DFM

"Gary K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1g0349s.2b5xuqyk96z4N%[email protected]...
> I wait till the glue has lost its shininess, takes about 60 seconds, with some blowing. No time at
> all. The fix is permanent.

My patch jobs never worked properly if I didn't leave them for ages - like 10-20 minutes. I didn't
blow on them or anything though. All the ones I rushed would end up peeling off soon after fitting
onto the wheel.

I swap tubes while on the road and fix the punctures at home. Oh, I just realised that I do actually
carry a puncture kit, but that's only because I use the tyre levers off it - I've never contemplated
doing a roadside puncture repair.

> Patches at 20c each versus dropping $8 every 3 or 4 weeks (racing

Which reminds me.. I need more patches.

hippy

I never spend "minutes" waiting on the roadside. Try blowing on it next time. At home I'd give it
plenty of time, go watch tv or something. Usually I do just replace the tube, but If I happen to see
where the hole is I think "what the hell", saves me fixing it at home at least.

hippy wrote:
> "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>You must mean US$4 judging by the way you spelled "tyre", which is a bit more expensive in the
>>nicely-coloured money we use here.
>

> I pay roughly $7 per tube.
>

>>Me, I always carry a spare tube, pump, and patch kit, whether I'm doing my 4km commute, my 30km
>>morning training, a rec ride with my partner, or
>

> Now, this is possibly one of the most pointless arguments i've had, but... on a 4k commute, when
> you carry a spare tube, why do you need a patch kit too? I could walk the 4k quicker than I could
> remove the tube, find the puncture, scrub it, whack some glue on, wait for it to go sticky, patch
> it, wait a bit more, reinstall tube. Maybe on an out-of-the-way 100k training ride a patch kit is
> useful, but 30k's? How far away is public transport for you? I have it good because I ride along a
> train line, but still, there's lots of people with cars and taxi's, buses, trains, trams, boats,
> planes.. okay so I'm getting a little carried away ;)
>

>>if you'd been in Centennial Park (that's in Sydney, Australia) last week, you'd have seen me
>>changing a tube then. If service stations were
>

> So, Sydney-siders, how far away is the nearest servo and/or train station from Centennial Park?
>

>>omnipresent and/or public transport went where I want, when I want it,
>

> Service stations AREN'T omnipresent?!? They always seem that way to me! It can't be much more than
> a 2k walk between any servo on _my_ commute.
>

>>at a sensible price, why would there be bike commuters in the first place (apart from it's fun and
>>I don't have to jam my 187cm into a tiny bus seat next to a smelly tramp [that's "bum" to you in
>>the US] or a kid with a doof-doof Walkman)?
>

> Hey, leave the doofers alone!
>
> hippy | yppih drunk, doofing and proud! (or something)

I can't believe you poofs that won't patch tubes. I guess with your lipstick, makeup etc in your
handbags there is no room for a patch repair kit. It takes around 7 minutes to patch a tube, less
than five if you are in a hurry. My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit
from K-Mart.

--
Cheers LB

What does a derogatory msg like that have to do with wanting to fix a punture?

So what your saying, is that, your "a ****" if you choose to buy a replacement tube instead of
fixing it? Sorry, Luther, but I've never heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to
read Jose's posts an all.

preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

It's all a matter of choice. People who replace tubes (myself included) when they puncture do so
because we choose to or in my case because I'm lazy! :eek:)

Now where did I put my eyeliner? ;o)

John

Luther Blissett wrote:

> hippy wrote:
> > "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>You must mean US$4 judging by the way you spelled "tyre", which is a bit more expensive in the
> >>nicely-coloured money we use here.
> >

> > I pay roughly $7 per tube.
> >

> >>Me, I always carry a spare tube, pump, and patch kit, whether I'm doing my 4km commute, my 30km
> >>morning training, a rec ride with my partner, or
> >

> > Now, this is possibly one of the most pointless arguments i've had, but... on a 4k commute, when
> > you carry a spare tube, why do you need a patch kit too? I could walk the 4k quicker than I
> > could remove the tube, find the puncture, scrub it, whack some glue on, wait for it to go
> > sticky, patch it, wait a bit more, reinstall tube. Maybe on an out-of-the-way 100k training ride
> > a patch kit is useful, but 30k's? How far away is public transport for you? I have it good
> > because I ride along a train line, but still, there's lots of people with cars and taxi's,
> > buses, trains, trams, boats, planes.. okay so I'm getting a little carried away ;)
> >

> >>if you'd been in Centennial Park (that's in Sydney, Australia) last week, you'd have seen me
> >>changing a tube then. If service stations were
> >

> > So, Sydney-siders, how far away is the nearest servo and/or train station from Centennial Park?
> >

> >>omnipresent and/or public transport went where I want, when I want it,
> >

> > Service stations AREN'T omnipresent?!? They always seem that way to me! It can't be much more
> > than a 2k walk between any servo on _my_ commute.
> >

> >>at a sensible price, why would there be bike commuters in the first place (apart from it's fun
> >>and I don't have to jam my 187cm into a tiny bus seat next to a smelly tramp [that's "bum" to
> >>you in the US] or a kid with a doof-doof Walkman)?
> >

> > Hey, leave the doofers alone!
> >
> > hippy | yppih drunk, doofing and proud! (or something)
> >

> I can't believe you poofs that won't patch tubes. I guess with your lipstick, makeup etc in your
> handbags there is no room for a patch repair kit. It takes around 7 minutes to patch a tube, less
> than five if you are in a hurry. My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair
> kit from K-Mart.
>
> --
> Cheers LB

"Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip> Did you have to re-post the whole thing?

> I can't believe you poofs that won't patch tubes. I guess with your

**** eh? My girlfriend will be terribly disappointed! :p

a tube out on the road and then patch them on returning home?

> lipstick, makeup etc in your handbags there is no room for a patch repair kit. It takes around 7
> minutes to patch a tube, less than five if you are
in

Well I've never been a skilled patcher, but that's certainly not my experience.. but then, I'm not
in a rush to patch because I'm doing it at home.. after having replaced my tube on the road.

> a hurry. My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit from K-Mart.

Congratulations.

Oh, when did you buy that repair kit? Sounds like a better deal than just buying patches!

hippy

John Staines:

> Sorry, Luther, but I've never heard so much tosh in all my life! That goes for having to read
> Jose's posts an all.

Come now John, you've been shown to be a himbo more suited to giggling at gossip and inanities than
discussing issues of substance, whether these be bike related or not. Why don't you just accept this
and move on with your quaint little life?

> preference to make your point. Whether it be in jest or not.

irrelevant to their behaviour in other areas.

Why, if that wasn't just my point about mentioning someone's ethnicity in relation to their riding
behaviour... and all that the power of your intellect can come up for that in retort was the
devastating phrase "you

Stick to giggles and gossip, my "tolerant friend".

hippy wrote: *snip* he does go on a bit ...

> Oh, when did you buy that repair kit? Sounds like a better deal than just buying patches!
>
> hippy

I got it at K-Mart about 2 or 3 years ago, it was only $2 so I got 5 of them. They included cement,
scraper, tubes for presta valves, and about 12 patches.

* I also picked up a new lipstick and some nail polish.

--
Cheers LB

> My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit from K-Mart.

12 Patches!?!?!?!

I have had about 5 punctures in the last 8 years, and have ridden a hell of a lot in that time. What
sort of bike was it and what the hell were you doing to the poor thing????
---
DFM

John Staines wrote: *snip*

> Now where did I put my eyeliner? ;o)
>
> John

John, you really should realise that being the unecessarily politically correct police went out
about ten years ago (it's oh-so last century!)

For your information, this is from the Macquarie Dictionary, (I'm sure Adelaide Uni might have a
copy in the library): **** Usage: This is one of the small group of words which when used within a
community have no derogatory overtones, but when used by outsiders often have such connotations.

Maybe I made a mistake by assuming this newsgroup was a community.
--
Cheers L "Poofy" B

Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

that '****' is a term of abuse and you used it as such.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote:

> John Staines wrote: *snip*
>
> > Now where did I put my eyeliner? ;o)
> >
> > John
>

> John, you really should realise that being the unecessarily politically correct police went out
> about ten years ago (it's oh-so last century!)
>
> For your information, this is from the Macquarie Dictionary, (I'm sure Adelaide Uni might have a
> copy in the library): **** Usage: This is one of the small group of words which when used within a
> community have no derogatory overtones, but when used by outsiders often have such connotations.
>
> Maybe I made a mistake by assuming this newsgroup was a community.

**** is a good word. Gay doesn't cut it anymore, though originally

own use, but recently has been reclaimed by adolescence to mean obnoxious (or something like that).
So we are left with "****". Fair enough.

DRS <[email protected]> wrote:

> Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > For your information, this is from the Macquarie Dictionary, (I'm sure Adelaide Uni might have a
> > copy in the library): **** Usage: This is one of the small group of words which when used within
> > a community have no derogatory overtones, but when used by outsiders often have such
> > connotations.
> >
> > Maybe I made a mistake by assuming this newsgroup was a community.
>

> that '****' is a term of abuse and you used it as such.

of posters admiting to not patching their own tubes for christsakes!!

"Luther Blissett" wrote in message ...

> I can't believe you poofs that won't patch tubes. I guess with your lipstick, makeup etc in your
> handbags there is no room for a patch repair kit. It takes around 7 minutes to patch a tube, less
> than five if you are in a hurry. My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair
> kit from K-Mart.
>

> --
> Cheers LB

Does that make those of us who fix a puncture on the road with a new tube, but patch the punctured
one at home bi?

Rob

hippy:

> "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > a hurry. My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit from K-Mart.
>
> Congratulations.
>
> Oh, when did you buy that repair kit? Sounds like a better deal than just buying patches!

I've been using Park Tools' glueless patches for years, and the tubes that I've repaired with these
have stayed leak-free. Prepared properly, glueless patches can be as good as messy old-fashioned
glue and patch.

The trick is in getting the tube surface around the hole clean. Rubbing alcohol or propanol does
this well.

Deep Flayed Mares <[email protected]> wrote:

> > My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit from K-Mart.
>
> 12 Patches!?!?!?!
>
> I have had about 5 punctures in the last 8 years, and have ridden a hell of a lot in that time.
> What sort of bike was it and what the hell were you doing to the poor thing????
> ---
> DFM

What kind of tyres do you run that never have flats?

Luther Blissett:

> John Staines wrote: *snip*
> > Now where did I put my eyeliner? ;o)
> >
> > John
>
> John, you really should realise that being the unecessarily politically correct police went out
> about ten years ago (it's oh-so last century!)

Firstly, being aware of prejudice is not being "politically correct".

Secondly, "politically correct" is a phrase coined by neo-conservatives intent on maintaining the
prejudices of the old school. It has no meaning apart from being used as an insubstantial
dismissive.

> For your information, this is from the Macquarie Dictionary, (I'm sure Adelaide Uni might have a
> copy in the library): **** Usage: This is one of the small group of words which when used within a
> community have no derogatory overtones, but when used by outsiders often have such connotations.
>
> Maybe I made a mistake by assuming this newsgroup was a community.

Your mistake is in assuming that you understood the definition. "Community" in this case means
people of the same communal beliefs.

As an example, think about the word "wog": when used by the Greek or Italian communities, no
derogations are implied. Wog Boys, Wogs Out Of Work etc were all acceptable titles for (admittedly
very average) entertainment shows. However, when people from outside those communities use the term,
especially by anglo-saxons, it becomes an offensive term if not heavily qualified otherwise.

It's a complexity brought about by attempts to claim back derogatory words and hence reduce their
offensiveness. "****er" is a term many black people in the US use amongst themselves; heaven help
the non-black outsider who tries to use it in those communities.

Gary K <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1g047ba.1ptp7id1hrmoeaN%[email protected]...
> Deep Flayed Mares <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit from K-Mart.
> >
> > 12 Patches!?!?!?!
> >
> > I have had about 5 punctures in the last 8 years, and have ridden a hell
of
> > a lot in that time. What sort of bike was it and what the hell were you doing to the poor
> > thing????
> > ---
> > DFM
>
> What kind of tyres do you run that never have flats?

So even though in the previous statement I said I'd had about 5 punctures in 8 years, you still read
it as me saying I 'never have flats'?

How could I possibly have stated that any more clearly????
---
DFM

Gary K <[email protected]> wrote in message
1g045o2.1hi6gc9f7ulqbN%[email protected]
> DRS <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

>> well that '****' is a term of abuse and you used it as such.
>

> bunch of posters admiting to not patching their own tubes for christsakes!!

"See the nice boys dancing in pairs, Golden earring, golden tan, blow-wave in the hair. Sure they're
all straight, straight as a line, All the gays are macho, see their leather shine"

Joe Jackson, Real Men

--

A: Top-posters.

Deep Flayed Mares wrote:

>>My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit from K-Mart.
>

> 12 Patches!?!?!?!
>
> I have had about 5 punctures in the last 8 years, and have ridden a hell of a lot in that time.
> What sort of bike was it and what the hell were you doing to the poor thing????
> ---
> DFM

I was working at Bathurst car races, using my bike to get around. I kept riding over those cathead
thorns, so after using both spare tubes I had to start patching. It was a MTB with knobbly tires,
but evolution has done a fine job designing those thorns. You should have heard the derogatory terms
I used that day!

--
Cheers LB