Want to know more about the bicycles

"Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> hippy:
>
> > "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > a hurry. My record is twelve patches on the one tube, using a $2 repair kit from K-Mart.
> >
> > Congratulations.
> >
> > Oh, when did you buy that repair kit? Sounds like a better deal than just buying patches!
> >

> I've been using Park Tools' glueless patches for years, and the tubes that I've repaired with
> these have stayed leak-free. Prepared properly, glueless patches can be as good as messy
> old-fashioned glue and patch.
>
> The trick is in getting the tube surface around the hole clean. Rubbing alcohol or propanol does
> this well.

Do you carry this in your bike kit then? Or wait until home to do a repair?

Do they not work when the hole is on a seam?

Tim

Okay this will be my last post for this thread.

I ask one question: Why did nobody reply to Zhang Li Yun's original question for 3 days? It's not
like he asked a difficult question or anything, anybody could have answered it. So people must have
not replied based on one of the following:
(1) He has a chinese name, it must be spam. Ignore him.
(2) His english is not very good, this is an AUSTALIAN newsgroup, so ignore him.
(3) Plain old racism.

So before you start making false claims of prejudice, think about that for a while, and ask
yourself why it took 3 whole days for someone to answer his simple question. Prejudice comes in all
forms, my friend.

--
Cheers LB

DRS wrote:

*Snip*

> "See the nice boys dancing in pairs, Golden earring, golden tan, blow-wave in the hair. Sure
> they're all straight, straight as a line, All the gays are macho, see their leather shine"
>
> Joe Jackson, Real Men

"You say black I say white You say bark I say bite You say shark I say hey man Jaws was never my
scene And I don't like Star Wars You say Rolls I say Royce You say God give me a choice You say Lord
I say Christ I don't believe in Peter Pan Frankenstein or Superman All I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle"

Queen, Bicycle Race

--
Cheers LB

Gary K wrote:
> I never spend "minutes" waiting on the roadside. Try blowing on it next time. At home I'd give it
> plenty of time, go watch tv or something. Usually I do just replace the tube, but If I happen to
> see where the hole is I think "what the hell", saves me fixing it at home at least.
>

> hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Gary K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:1g0349s.2b5xuqyk96z4N%[email protected]...
>>
>>>I wait till the glue has lost its shininess, takes about 60 seconds, with some blowing. No time
>>>at all. The fix is permanent.
>>
>>My patch jobs never worked properly if I didn't leave them for ages - like 10-20 minutes. I didn't
>>blow on them or anything though. All the ones I rushed would end up peeling off soon after fitting
>>onto the wheel.
>>
>>I swap tubes while on the road and fix the punctures at home. Oh, I just realised that I do
>>actually carry a puncture kit, but that's only because I use the tyre levers off it - I've never
>>contemplated doing a roadside puncture repair.
>>

>>>Patches at 20c each versus dropping $8 every 3 or 4 weeks (racing
>>
>>Which reminds me.. I need more patches.
>>
>>hippy

I use self-adhesive patches, so there's zero waiting. One of my LBSes won't sell them any more
because "they don't work", but I've only had a problem with them once. So it takes me about 7-8 mins
to find and patch the hole, put the spare tube in, put the patched tube away (giving the patch time
to reach max adhesion), and get back on the road.

Hopefully I find a sunny/shady patch of grass to do all this too!

&roo

Deep Flayed Mares <[email protected]> wrote:

> Gary K <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1g047ba.1ptp7id1hrmoeaN%[email protected]...

> > > 12 Patches!?!?!?!
> > >
> > > I have had about 5 punctures in the last 8 years, and have ridden a hell
> of
> > > a lot in that time. What sort of bike was it and what the hell were you doing to the poor
> > > thing????
> > > ---
> > > DFM
> >
> > What kind of tyres do you run that never have flats?
>
> So even though in the previous statement I said I'd had about 5 punctures in 8 years, you still
> read it as me saying I 'never have flats'?
>
> How could I possibly have stated that any more clearly????
> ---
> DFM

Typo, missed the word "almost".. uh dont bother, I dont want to know...

Luther Blissett wrote:
> Okay this will be my last post for this thread.
>
> I ask one question: Why did nobody reply to Zhang Li Yun's original question for 3 days? It's not
> like he asked a difficult question or anything, anybody could have answered it. So people must
> have not replied based on one of the following:
> (1) He has a chinese name, it must be spam. Ignore him.
> (2) His english is not very good, this is an AUSTALIAN newsgroup, so ignore him.
> (3) Plain old racism.
>
> So before you start making false claims of prejudice, think about that for a while, and ask
> yourself why it took 3 whole days for someone to answer his simple question. Prejudice comes in
> all forms, my friend.

Dear Luther,

Could it just have been the vague nature of his question? Don't always be looking for (in this
case racist) demons where none exist. Methinks he would have received a better response if he
had told us:

- his approx budget
- what kind of riding he was intending (commuting, touring, racing, audax, tooling around,
daytime/nighttime, etc.)
- his size/weight, age/flexibility, etc.
- where he lives (which state or even which country - e.g. does he have to gear up for
cold/heat/humidity/traffic/smog/whatever)

People are much more likely to respond to a question when the poster has put some thought and effort
into it. Imagine if I went to aus.computers and asked:

"I want to know more about computers, such as what are the suitable specs and features for a
desktop? And what are the other accessories I need to prepare for computing?"

It's an impossible question to answer without knowing what he's going to do with it, how much he has
to spend, whether he cares about after-sales support, etc. You'd be lucky not to get flamed or
called a troll/moron/netkook etc.

That's why he was ignored for three days, not because he has a foreign-sounding name. Don't get me
wrong, if there's two things I hate myself it's racism and the Dutch.

&roo

P.S. Sorry for making you reply to this thread again.. :)

Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Okay this will be my last post for this thread.
>
> I ask one question: Why did nobody reply to Zhang Li Yun's original question for 3 days? It's not
> like he asked a difficult question or anything, anybody could have answered it. So people must
> have not replied based on one of the following:
> (1) He has a chinese name, it must be spam. Ignore him.
> (2) His english is not very good, this is an AUSTALIAN newsgroup, so ignore him.
> (3) Plain old racism.
>
> So before you start making false claims of prejudice, think about that for a while, and ask
> yourself why it took 3 whole days for someone to answer his simple question. Prejudice comes in
> all forms, my friend.

You think he asked a "Simple Question"?!!!

Whats the meaning of life? What should I buy? Come on, simple questions... answer it in less than
240,000 words please.

Luther Blissett <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Okay this will be my last post for this thread.
>
> I ask one question: Why did nobody reply to Zhang Li Yun's original question for 3 days? It's not
> like he asked a difficult question or anything, anybody could have answered it. So people must
> have not replied based on one of the following:
> (1) He has a chinese name, it must be spam. Ignore him.
> (2) His english is not very good, this is an AUSTALIAN newsgroup, so ignore him.
> (3) Plain old racism.
>
> So before you start making false claims of prejudice, think about that for a while, and ask
> yourself why it took 3 whole days for someone to answer his simple question. Prejudice comes in
> all forms, my friend.

WHOAH! Slow down there!!! Just because he is Chinese, does not mean that was the basis for
everyone ignoring him for so long! His question was also very broad, and thus difficult to know
how to approach it. He really should have included some clues as to what type of riding he may
have been planning.

It has nothing to do with his race, I am sure!
---
DFM

> > of
> > >
> > > What kind of tyres do you run that never have flats?
> >
> > So even though in the previous statement I said I'd had about 5
punctures in
> > 8 years, you still read it as me saying I 'never have flats'?
> >
> > How could I possibly have stated that any more clearly????
> > ---
> > DFM
>
> Typo, missed the word "almost".. uh dont bother, I dont want to know...

Well, I will try to answer anyway.

For mountain bikes, you can get puncture resistant tyres. These are handy in places like Adelaide,
where 3-corner jacks are lethal. Another technique I have seen which works for a variety of
situations is to line the tyre with another tube. This provides a rather effective barrier.

In Melbourne at the moment, and I have employed neither of these methods (coz I have access to free
tubes), and have had one flat in about six months. This was when I ran over some broken glass in a
bike lane. I have noticed that there is a lot of broken glass in the bike lanes of Melbourne for
some reason. Dodging is required.
---
DFM

I've been lurking around this newsgroup for a week or so trying to pick up some info on an upcoming
bike purchase and being on the wrong side of 40, I have to ask......whatever happened to the old
vulcanised rubber patches I used as a kid. Are they obsolete/useless/unavailable????? I remember
they always seemed to work well, but you did need to carry a box of matches I think.

Just plain unavailable. Makes u wonder when a cig lighter as pretty small & easy to carry around.
Probabely would work well in the rain too, since glued patches can be a real bugger to stick when
everythings wet.

gaza <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've been lurking around this newsgroup for a week or so trying to pick up some info on an
: upcoming bike purchase and being on the wrong side of 40, I have to ask......whatever happened to
: the old vulcanised rubber patches I used as a kid. Are they obsolete/useless/unavailable????? I
: remember they always seemed to work well, but you did need to carry a box of matches I think.

In modern times, all that is required is a patch, some method of cleaning/roughing the area, and
some glue. When properly applied, a patch can be a thing of beauty. My mate once had a MTB tube with
30 patches on it before he retired (scuse the pun) it. It would have passed for a Picasso in the
right context.

I remember the vulcanizing patches. They were bulky, needed a big brass clamp and were no better
than the glue ones we have now. Spectacular just the same and great for pulling a crowd when lit.
You could probably find a kit in an antique market. Lots of luck.

Cheerz, Lynzz

Tim Jones:

> "Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > I've been using Park Tools' glueless patches for years, and the tubes that I've repaired with
> > these have stayed leak-free. Prepared properly, glueless patches can be as good as messy
> > old-fashioned glue and patch.
> >
> > The trick is in getting the tube surface around the hole clean. Rubbing alcohol or propanol does
> > this well.
>
> Do you carry this in your bike kit then? Or wait until home to do a repair?

Since the little box with glueless patches and sandpaper weighs very little and occupies a tiny
volume, I carry one in my saddlebag. Alcohol swabs that come in little packets double as part of a
first aid kit, so those aren't hard to carry as well. However, I carry a spare tube, so the patches
really only serve to be useful if a second blowout happens, or if the tube on the other tyre gets
punctured. I prefer to repair holes in tubes at home.

> Do they not work when the hole is on a seam?

I've patched holes in seams with the Park patches, and still am using those tubes a couple of years
later. If the seam has a substantial amount of rubber sticking out, carefully cutting this with a
pair of scissors works, otherwise careful sanding of the seam may be enough. You must avoid
applying the patch on a seam which then has an overlap at the seam, ie the seam must be as flat as
you can make it.

Luther Blissett:

> Okay this will be my last post for this thread.
>
> I ask one question: Why did nobody reply to Zhang Li Yun's original question for 3 days? It's not
> like he asked a difficult question or anything, anybody could have answered it. So people must
> have not replied based on one of the following:
> (1) He has a chinese name, it must be spam. Ignore him.
> (2) His english is not very good, this is an AUSTALIAN newsgroup, so ignore him.
> (3) Plain old racism.
>
> So before you start making false claims of prejudice, think about that for a while, and ask
> yourself why it took 3 whole days for someone to answer his simple question. Prejudice comes in
> all forms, my friend.

What an admirable effort at deflecting the scrutiny on your post. I think you would have gotten the
same effect if you had mentioned the heatwave in France, or Hanson's jail sentence, or maybe even
Howard's lies about Iraq.

To your points:
1). I hadn't seen anyone come up with this one, and wouldn't have thought it to be a reasonable
assumption at all.
2). Have you read some of the posts here with shockingly bad spelling and grammar? His was not the
only one with bad English content.
3). Uh? I've seen many replies to posts with Chinese (and other foreign-looking) names. Heck, posts
from gobbledygook names get replies, so this doesn't stick at all.

His post contained a simple question indeed, but so general and vague (as mentioned by others) that
the answers are too far-reaching in scope for most to attempt in a relatively short post, or what
most here are accustomed to.

So your deflection failed to divert, and still leaves you with the fact that you've used a label for
a group of people as a derogatory term. That, "my friend", is prejudice.

On the other hand, if you are in fact one of these "poofs" you mentioned, and you derided other
"poofs" for their maintenance preferences, then you would be bulletproof. Such is the intricacy (and
contradiction) of our social norms.

Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]

[...]

> Could it just have been the vague nature of his question? Don't always be looking for (in this
> case racist) demons where none exist. Methinks he would have received a better response if he had
> told us:
>
> - his approx budget
> - what kind of riding he was intending (commuting, touring, racing, audax, tooling around,
> daytime/nighttime, etc.)
> - his size/weight, age/flexibility, etc.

[...]

> It's an impossible question to answer without knowing what he's going to do with it, how much he
> has to spend, whether he cares about after-sales support, etc. You'd be lucky not to get flamed or
> called a troll/moron/netkook etc.

Does this group have an FAQ? It would seem to me that these sort of questions would come up a lot
over time and surely it would save everybody a lot of grief if there was a pointer to a page which
would at least walk the questioner through the basics.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tim Jones:
>

> > "Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > > I've been using Park Tools' glueless patches for years, and the tubes that I've repaired with
> > > these have stayed leak-free. Prepared
properly,
> > > glueless patches can be as good as messy old-fashioned glue and patch.
> > >
> > > The trick is in getting the tube surface around the hole clean.
Rubbing
> > > alcohol or propanol does this well.
> >
> > Do you carry this in your bike kit then? Or wait until home to do a
repair?

> Since the little box with glueless patches and sandpaper weighs very little and occupies a tiny
> volume, I carry one in my saddlebag. Alcohol swabs that come in little packets double as part of a
> first aid kit, so those aren't hard to carry as well. However, I carry a spare tube, so the
> patches really only serve to be useful if a second blowout happens, or if the tube on the other
> tyre gets punctured. I prefer to repair holes in tubes at home.
>
> > Do they not work when the hole is on a seam?
>
> I've patched holes in seams with the Park patches, and still am using those tubes a couple of
> years later. If the seam has a substantial amount of rubber sticking out, carefully cutting this
> with a pair of scissors works, otherwise careful sanding of the seam may be enough. You must avoid
> applying the patch on a seam which then has an overlap at the seam, ie the seam must be as flat as
> you can make it.

Thanks Jose,

I might go and get some alcohol swabs - sounds like a good idea for any type of patches.

Tim

"Deep Flayed Mares" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<...>

> In Melbourne at the moment, and I have employed neither of these methods (coz I have access to
> free tubes), and have had one flat in about six months. This was when I ran over some broken glass
> in a bike lane. I have noticed that there is a lot of broken glass in the bike lanes of Melbourne
> for some reason. Dodging is required.
> ---
> DFM

I think this is because the banks of the Yarra are favourite drinking spots for underage partiers.
And when they get ******, they then have no problems throwing the empties on whatever hard surface
"for fun".

The same sort of arseholes who stole my letter box Friday night (as well as a bunch of others around
the area).

On that topic, someone told me what their father did when faced with regular removal of letter
boxes: hammer a few 4 inch nails through the box so they stick out the bottom. To get the box out,
they inevitably kick or punch up from beneath in dark circumstances. A couple of week later, he
found some left over giblets on the bottom of his box.

(/rant)

Tim

Tim Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Deep Flayed Mares" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> <...>
>
> > In Melbourne at the moment, and I have employed neither of these methods (coz I have access to
> > free tubes), and have had one flat in about six months. This was when I ran over some broken
> > glass in a bike lane. I
have
> > noticed that there is a lot of broken glass in the bike lanes of
Melbourne
> > for some reason. Dodging is required.
> > ---
> > DFM
> >

> I think this is because the banks of the Yarra are favourite drinking
spots
> for underage partiers. And when they get ******, they then have no
problems
> throwing the empties on whatever hard surface "for fun".
>
> The same sort of arseholes who stole my letter box Friday night (as well
as
> a bunch of others around the area).
>
> On that topic, someone told me what their father did when faced with
regular
> removal of letter boxes: hammer a few 4 inch nails through the box so they stick out the bottom.
> To get the box out, they inevitably kick or punch up from beneath in dark circumstances. A couple
> of week later, he found some left over giblets on the bottom of his box.

I don't think the law would approve of that, but I might!
---
DFM

Lindsay Rowlands wrote: <snip>
> can be a thing of beauty. My mate once had a MTB tube with 30 patches on it before he retired
> (scuse the pun) it. It would have passed for a Picasso in the right context.
>
> Cheerz, Lynzz

30 patches!!!???? What did this thing weigh?

&roo