Want to race next season, Don't know where to begin

Lokyst

Aug 12, 2004
Hi,

I'm just picking up road cycling, used to mtn bike, but would much rather be on the road. A friend of mine and I are planning on training hard this fall and winter to possibly race in the spring. That gives us about 7 or 8 months to get ready (living in NY has it's downfalls, darn snow :( ). Basically I plan on riding until it snows, then getting a bike trainer and riding indoors all winter. Also, going to the gym at school and using the stationary bikes there is an option. Aside from just getting miles in, I don't know what to do for training. I was also thinking about doing some weight training with my legs, get them more muscular for the climbs and sprints. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!! :D

~Mark

Lokyst said:
Hi,

I'm just picking up road cycling, used to mtn bike, but would much rather be on the road. A friend of mine and I are planning on training hard this fall and winter to possibly race in the spring. That gives us about 7 or 8 months to get ready (living in NY has it's downfalls, darn snow :( ). Basically I plan on riding until it snows, then getting a bike trainer and riding indoors all winter. Also, going to the gym at school and using the stationary bikes there is an option. Aside from just getting miles in, I don't know what to do for training. I was also thinking about doing some weight training with my legs, get them more muscular for the climbs and sprints. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!! :D

~Mark

Your best bet would be to get a coach to help with goal setting, programme planning, fitness training etc. At RST we can offer you the best online coaching there is, at four different service levels and three coaches.

I would advise against weight training, unless you have some sort of injury or functinal disablity or are a track 200-m sprinter. There's no evidence that weight training is beneficial to endurance cycling performance, and some evidence from first principles that it would be detrimental.

The forces involved in endurance cycling are quite low to moderate and these can be met by just about most people. it's sustaining these forces for long periods of time that's difficult, and that's a cardiovascular and metabolic issue which can only be trained on the bike.

please feel free to contact us at [email protected]

ric