Want to Test Ride my Lower Weight

Jim Ferguson

Guest
Almost a month ago I had just come home from a nice 30-mile ride. I've
put on a few pounds since I was riding a lot of miles last summer and
fall, but hadn't really gotten back into good condition yet. For the
most part I was riding pretty well, but I really felt the extra weight
on the hills.

That evening I had intense abdominal pains, and ended up in the
hospital with emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction. Ouch. A week
in the hospital on IV fluid and no food, and a couple of weeks of
extreme nausea and inability to eat much, have caused me to drop a lot
of weight needless to say. I'm down about 20 pounds from what I
weighed the last time I was on the bike.

I'm really in the mood to take the new slimmer bod for a test ride,
but I'm forbidden from engaging in exercise for another five weeks.
D'oh! The summer is going to be half over by the time I get back on
the bike!

-- Jim F.

Jim Ferguson wrote:
> Almost a month ago I had just come home from a nice 30-mile ride. I've
> put on a few pounds since I was riding a lot of miles last summer and
> fall, but hadn't really gotten back into good condition yet. For the
> most part I was riding pretty well, but I really felt the extra weight
> on the hills.
>
> That evening I had intense abdominal pains, and ended up in the
> hospital with emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction. Ouch. A week
> in the hospital on IV fluid and no food, and a couple of weeks of
> extreme nausea and inability to eat much, have caused me to drop a lot
> of weight needless to say. I'm down about 20 pounds from what I
> weighed the last time I was on the bike.
>
> I'm really in the mood to take the new slimmer bod for a test ride,
> but I'm forbidden from engaging in exercise for another five weeks.
> D'oh! The summer is going to be half over by the time I get back on
> the bike!
>
> -- Jim F.

How exactly does one get a bowel blockage? - just curious, I'm not going
to try it as a weight loss method.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Jim Ferguson wrote:
> Almost a month ago I had just come home from a nice 30-mile ride. I've
> put on a few pounds since I was riding a lot of miles last summer and
> fall, but hadn't really gotten back into good condition yet. For the
> most part I was riding pretty well, but I really felt the extra weight
> on the hills.
>
> That evening I had intense abdominal pains, and ended up in the
> hospital with emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction. Ouch. A week
> in the hospital on IV fluid and no food, and a couple of weeks of
> extreme nausea and inability to eat much, have caused me to drop a lot
> of weight needless to say. I'm down about 20 pounds from what I
> weighed the last time I was on the bike.
>
> I'm really in the mood to take the new slimmer bod for a test ride,
> but I'm forbidden from engaging in exercise for another five weeks.
> D'oh! The summer is going to be half over by the time I get back on
> the bike!
>
> -- Jim F.

I had a similar experience in January. No surgery, but a week of
hospital on IV only, and a couple of months of recovery after that. I
also dropped about 20 lb.

It was interesting to get back on the bike and start riding with my
group again. I was surprised that I still had a lot of leg strength, I
could sprint reasonably well. I had no endurance, though. Despite losing
a lot of aerobic conditioning, I didn't do too bad on the group rides
since the lost weight had a huge effect on my climbing. I liked the
lighter weight so much that I resolved to keep it off, and have, so far.

>How exactly does one get a bowel blockage? - just curious, I'm not going
>to try it as a weight loss method.

It ain't easy, apparently. It can happen to anybody, but is more
likely if you've had previous abdominal surgery, which I had. My small
bowel was twisted into a "classic tornado shape" according to the doc.
I was supposedly within ten minutes of either dying or "never eating
again" because of having to have my entire small bowel removed.

No I'd say this is not a very good weight loss method :)

-- Jim F.

>Despite losing
>a lot of aerobic conditioning, I didn't do too bad on the group rides
>since the lost weight had a huge effect on my climbing. I liked the
>lighter weight so much that I resolved to keep it off, and have, so far.

That's great, Peter. I'm hoping the same happens with me. I'm planning
to keep the weight off so I can see the benefit when I get back on the
bike. So far it's pretty easy because I can't eat much without having
extreme nausea.

-- Jim F.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:11:50 GMT, [email protected] (Jim Ferguson)
wrote:

>Almost a month ago I had just come home from a nice 30-mile ride. I've
>put on a few pounds since I was riding a lot of miles last summer and
>fall, but hadn't really gotten back into good condition yet. For the
>most part I was riding pretty well, but I really felt the extra weight
>on the hills.
>
>That evening I had intense abdominal pains, and ended up in the
>hospital with emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction. Ouch. A week
>in the hospital on IV fluid and no food, and a couple of weeks of
>extreme nausea and inability to eat much, have caused me to drop a lot
>of weight needless to say. I'm down about 20 pounds from what I
>weighed the last time I was on the bike.
>
>I'm really in the mood to take the new slimmer bod for a test ride,
>but I'm forbidden from engaging in exercise for another five weeks.
>D'oh! The summer is going to be half over by the time I get back on
>the bike!
>
>-- Jim F.

I've been on the heavy side my whole life (46+ yrs.), over the winter
I managed to lose 30 lbs. and I've been climbing like never before.
My average speeds are still on the low side but YEESH it's nice not to
drag all that around.
Best of luck in your comeback!