Want to TT, Bike suggestions?

May 14, 2007
First, I am a 53 year old dude. I have been riding for the past 3 months after a 15 year absence from the sport. I have been working on distance and speed endurance over the past two months.

I would like to start racing with Time Trials. What do you more experienced TT folks think about using my current road bike or getting a bike specific to time trial riding.

I know nothing about time trial bikes but would think that I would want a carbon frame. My road bike is a Guru Geneo, DuraAce.

Suggestions, thoughts?

9202 said:
First, I am a 53 year old dude. I have been riding for the past 3 months after a 15 year absence from the sport. I have been working on distance and speed endurance over the past two months.

I would like to start racing with Time Trials. What do you more experienced TT folks think about using my current road bike or getting a bike specific to time trial riding.

I know nothing about time trial bikes but would think that I would want a carbon frame. My road bike is a Guru Geneo, DuraAce.

Suggestions, thoughts?
My opinion is to do a season of TT's on your road bike, with some clip-on aero-bars. If after a season, you catch the bug, which is easily done, then go and invest in a TT specific frame.
I dont think the frame has to be carbon; I use a Cervelo dual, which is alloy with carbon fork and seatpost, and this frame is easily good enough to reach a high standard in TT's. I use the lure of a carbon Cervelo(P3C) frame to make me try harder to hit my targets:) . Just make sure if and when you buy a TT frame to get the right size for you. This is in the main, a smaller size than a conventional road bike size.
Hope this helps.

AndROOb said:
My opinion is to do a season of TT's on your road bike, with some clip-on aero-bars. If after a season, you catch the bug, which is easily done, then go and invest in a TT specific frame.
I dont think the frame has to be carbon; I use a Cervelo dual, which is alloy with carbon fork and seatpost, and this frame is easily good enough to reach a high standard in TT's. I use the lure of a carbon Cervelo(P3C) frame to make me try harder to hit my targets:) . Just make sure if and when you buy a TT frame to get the right size for you. This is in the main, a smaller size than a conventional road bike size.
Hope this helps.
Good advice.
Maybe tell the OP why he might want a smaller size? :)

Interesting and thanks, but from what I have read it appears that using a road bike with clip on aero bars will not put the rider in an good TT position. Sorry if I am boring anyone, but I am not too experienced.

However, I agree, and what happens if I absolutely hate TT riding. So I will ride my first TT season on my road bike as suggested. Hey, if I like it then who knows.

Thanks

For a very sweet Carbon frame for a sweet price check out www.element6bikes.com

One of my teammates has one and it is beautiful. I have emailed the company and got fast response and really willing to help with sizes etc.

Rick

9202 said:

Suggestions, thoughts?

As for riding your road bike with clip ons that would be fine. You can also pick up a seat post that allows you to hit more of a TT specific seat angle as well. I really noticed a difference between my current Cervelo, that has a two angle seat set up, and my old Lemond with just clip ons. More aero, more comfortable and a better hip angle.