Want to upgrade to wider rims - Motobecane Record

ghettosafari

Aug 10, 2014
Greetings all! I recently got a Motobecane Record as a gift from a family member and am looking to upgrade the rims to a wider selection. They came with 23cm rims and I undoubtedly need to increase that as I am 6'7" & 300lbs or so, however, I'm not too sure what the widest rim this bike can be outfitted with is. If anyone knows how to determine this from the bike specifications, or has had experience with this specific bike, and can offer any input at all, it would be greatly appreciated! I will link to the exact bike that I have, where the bike specs are listed. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help :)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/record_xii.htm

I suspect you're talking about tires, not rims. Rims are the metal hoops that the rubber tire sits on. It'd be rare(but not impossible) to replace a set of rims with another just to get them wider. If wider rims are indeed the goal, odds are you'd be better off simply getting new wheels. And it's mm, not cm. It you who have the bike in front of you. You can look at the amount of space left between the current tires and where they pass closest to the frame/fork. That clearance, in mm, will give a good foundation on which you can base your guess on how much wider tires you can use. Or bring the bike to a shop, ask them to sell you a pair of wider tires that'll fit.