Want your opinion between these two jackets

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
I live in Portland Oregon where it can get fairly chili on those morning rides. I'm looking for a good jacket that will keep me warm but still have some ventilation from "pit zips" and 1 or 2 other vents in case I get warm. Since I saw the Gore Phantom coat I have wanted it, but then I came across this "sugoi TI" jacket. I am not yet experienced enough to know all the brands out there. Can someone please give me some feedback on which jacket is better?

1) First picture is Gore
2) and 3) Sugoi Ti Jacket

I think the Sugoi is likely warmer than the Gore, at least from a review or two that I've read.

Others that you might want to consider:
  1. Giordana
    • Silverline jacket
    • Fusion jacket
  2. Louis Garneau
    • Gemini 2 jacket
    • Massimo jacket
  3. Showers Pass Softshell Trainer
  4. Pearl Izumi
    • P.R.O. Softshell jacket
    • Elite Barrier WxB jacket

I know this only adds to your options, but it's for good reason. Jacket fit is like seat fit and shoe fit in that the listed size ain't always what it seems. So having more options that would allow you more jackets to try locally might help.

As for how I'd rank the manufacturers and their jackets, it'd be like this:
  1. Giordana
  2. Showers Pass
  3. The rest
That's not to say there's anything wrong with "the rest". It's just my own personal ranking. FWIW, all of the jackets I listed are in the $150-200 range and can often be had for less and new on eBay.

I had looked through a couple of those before but the problem is none of those have "pit zips" for ventilation. I'm wondering if the sumoi will be to warm?

bianchi10 said:
I had looked through a couple of those before but the problem is none of those have "pit zips" for ventilation. I'm wondering if the sumoi will be to warm?

As large as sumos are, I wouldn't want to use one as a jacket.

Pit zips. Pit zips are nice, but there are also other areas where zippers can give good ventilation, particularly on the back. I'd wouldn't get too hung up on pit zips.

The best thing to do is email Sugoi, and the others, to see what temps are in a jacket's comfort range. Keep in mind though, some people get on fine with someone's pre-defined comfort range, and some don't.

My Hind jacket is so old that it won't be a good overall comparison to the jackets you all have discussed, but I did want to point out how the ventilation works because it still works well for me.

The sleeves, front panels, and top back panel are made of windbreaker material with a knitted material underneath.

The pits are perforated for ventilation and that back windbreaker portion is open along the bottom edge.

It only has just one zipper, just like any regular zip up wind breaker. With the zipper up all the way to the throat, no air gets through. As the zipper is lowered air then begins flowing through the pit vents and the back vent.

If you want more air flow, just lower the zipper some more.

Maybe there is a good reason to have a jacket with multiple zippers, but the one I have with a single zipper works very well for me.

I should point out that I ride in cool weather, but not cold weather.

I ended up getting the Gore phantom. tried it on and it is fantastic (in the shop anyways). light weight with good options. should be able to try it out later this week! :D

bianchi10 said:
I ended up getting the Gore phantom. tried it on and it is fantastic (in the shop anyways). light weight with good options. should be able to try it out later this week! :D

Did you buy it at the shop?

yeah I bought it at the shop. was going to buy it online but the guys I know there gave me a discount and it was only $18 more. figured for their help and support I could support them.

I also bought some specialized "deflector" windblocking" gloves. excited to try them out, unfortunately I didn't have time to get out this week to try them.

bianchi10 said:
yeah I bought it at the shop. was going to buy it online but the guys I know there gave me a discount and it was only $18 more. figured for their help and support I could support them.

I also bought some specialized "deflector" windblocking" gloves. excited to try them out, unfortunately I didn't have time to get out this week to try them.

Good stuff. I shop at my LBS almost all the time. The only time I don't is when I need something specific that they either don't carry or is prohibitively expensive everywhere but online. They offer so much more than material goods than any internet retailer could dream of.

alienator said:
Good stuff. I shop at my LBS almost all the time. The only time I don't is when I need something specific that they either don't carry or is prohibitively expensive everywhere but online. They offer so much more than material goods than any internet retailer could dream of.
I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the warm/scary welcome,I'm really looking forward to talk about anything and everything HTC related.

Hello,

I am Carl.This is my first visit to site.I love forum discussion.It is one of my hobbies.I can share my thoughts to others and can get plenty of information from others.I just love it.Other then that I like to surf different and new sites.I like the way I am getting plenty of new information from the site.I am very pleased to be part of the site and I am eager to do my first post. Thanks