Wanted: 11t Shimano 8sp cog, cheap

Matt O'Toole

Guest
Does anyone have an 11t Shimano cog in good condition that they'd like to
part with? The rest of my 8sp cassette is in good shape, no reason to
replace it for want of an 11t cog.

Used is OK -- I figure someone probably has a cassette with the other cogs
worn, but a good 11t. I used to wear out the big cog a lot faster, doing
big MTB climbs. Now I wear out the little one, riding around town.

Yes, I know I can buy them new, but they're as expensive as a whole new
cassette.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Does anyone have an 11t Shimano cog in good condition that they'd like to
> part with? The rest of my 8sp cassette is in good shape, no reason to
> replace it for want of an 11t cog.

I thought you had been hanging around here long enough to know that
your 11t sprocket is far to small to be of any use to you. How in the
world could you have worn it out?

Chalo

Chalo wrote:
> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have an 11t Shimano cog in good condition that they'd
>> like to part with? The rest of my 8sp cassette is in good shape, no
>> reason to replace it for want of an 11t cog.

> I thought you had been hanging around here long enough to know that
> your 11t sprocket is far to small to be of any use to you. How in the
> world could you have worn it out?
>
> Chalo

Not if it was on a MTB cogset.

--
Phil

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:53:25 -0500, Phil, Non-Squid wrote:

> Chalo wrote:

>> I thought you had been hanging around here long enough to know that
>> your 11t sprocket is far to small to be of any use to you. How in the
>> world could you have worn it out?

> Not if it was on a MTB cogset.

Yup, with a 42T chainring the 11 gets a real workout.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:53:25 -0500, Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>
> > Chalo wrote:

> >> I thought you had been hanging around here long enough to know that
> >> your 11t sprocket is far to small to be of any use to you. How in the
> >> world could you have worn it out?

> > Not if it was on a MTB cogset.

> Yup, with a 42T chainring the 11 gets a real workout.

I s'pose I did omit the smiley. To my above statement please add ;^D
if that helps.

For what it's worth, I get a lot of use out of my 11t sprockets on my
single-chainring bikes. I haven't worn one out yet, but then I have so
many bikes anymore that it's hard to wear _anything_ out. And at $20
each, 11-34 freewheels are an economical replacement part.

I see that Loose Screws has 11t sprockets for 7 speed cassettes for
$12. But I guess that's not what you are looking for.

Chalo

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Does anyone have an 11t Shimano cog in good condition that they'd like to
> part with? The rest of my 8sp cassette is in good shape, no reason to
> replace it for want of an 11t cog.
>
> Used is OK -- I figure someone probably has a cassette with the other cogs
> worn, but a good 11t. I used to wear out the big cog a lot faster, doing
> big MTB climbs. Now I wear out the little one, riding around town.
>
> Yes, I know I can buy them new, but they're as expensive as a whole new
> cassette.

If an 11 tooth cog from a 9-speed cassette will work, I can let you have
it for about $7 shipped. I always wear out the 13-tooth one first. But
somebody else will have to tell me if it will work; I don't know.

Dave

newsgroups if possible).