Wanted - 8sp XT front mech TS/TP 34.9mm

Paul B

Guest
Hi

Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing & top
pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp. A top swing
version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St John St Cycles are
out. An alternative will be a BB mounting version. Anyone?

"Paul B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing & top
> pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp. A top swing
> version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St John St Cycles are
> out. An alternative will be a BB mounting version. Anyone?

Settle or Chain reaction both do the M760 XT one for sensible prices.
Nominally 9sp, but I'd guess this doesn't actually make much difference.

cheers,
clive

Thus spake Clive George:
> "Paul B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi
>>
>> Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing
>> & top pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp.
>> A top swing version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St
>> John St Cycles are out. An alternative will be a BB mounting
>> version. Anyone?

> Settle or Chain reaction both do the M760 XT one for sensible prices.
> Nominally 9sp, but I'd guess this doesn't actually make much
> difference.
> cheers,
> clive

I've been told that running an 8sp chain in a 9sp mech will be noisier 'cos
the plates are very slightly closer together. if I can still get an 8sp
version, I might as well do so - otherwise, 9 will have to do but a good
price from CRC.

Paul B wrote:
> Thus spake Clive George:
>> "Paul B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing
>>> & top pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp.
>>> A top swing version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St
>>> John St Cycles are out. An alternative will be a BB mounting
>>> version. Anyone?

>> Settle or Chain reaction both do the M760 XT one for sensible prices.
>> Nominally 9sp, but I'd guess this doesn't actually make much
>> difference.
>> cheers,
>> clive

> I've been told that running an 8sp chain in a 9sp mech will be noisier 'cos
> the plates are very slightly closer together.

I've got an 8 speed bike with a 9 speed XT front derailleur. I can
adjust it so the noise only occurs in the small/small and big/big
combinations, and treat it as a feature to remind you you shouldn't be
in those gears, but I don't even have that problem as I've got a trim
adjustment on the big cog (but hardly ever have to use it) and only use
the small cog when I've run out of range on the big one.
--

JimP

" " - John Cage

Thus spake Jim Price:
>> I've been told that running an 8sp chain in a 9sp mech will be
>> noisier 'cos the plates are very slightly closer together.

> I've got an 8 speed bike with a 9 speed XT front derailleur. I can
> adjust it so the noise only occurs in the small/small and big/big
> combinations, and treat it as a feature to remind you you shouldn't be
> in those gears, but I don't even have that problem as I've got a trim
> adjustment on the big cog (but hardly ever have to use it) and only
> use the small cog when I've run out of range on the big one.

You are confirming that the difference between the 2 ain't that much. I'd
just spent ~£40 for a new 8sp 11-28 XT cassette - having decided I had spent
well enough already without ditching my XT STI levers. Maybe I'll go 9sp
next time round. Thanks for your observations.