Wanted: a tyre with a loose bead

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    I took delivery of a brand spanking new pir of Protons last night and very
    nice they are too. Only thing is I spent about an _hour_ fitting my
    Continental GP 3000s on them!! Damn, they are a tight fit! Any suggestions
    for tyres with a 'looser' bead than GP 3000s? I'm afraid I won't be able to
    get the Contis off now without destroying them -- or myself for that matter.
    Also, any recommendations for a hefty pair of tyre levers?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Simonb wrote:
    > I took delivery of a brand spanking new pir of Protons last night and very
    > nice they are too. Only thing is I spent about an _hour_ fitting my
    > Continental GP 3000s on them!! Damn, they are a tight fit! Any suggestions
    > for tyres with a 'looser' bead than GP 3000s? I'm afraid I won't be able to
    > get the Contis off now without destroying them -- or myself for that matter.
    > Also, any recommendations for a hefty pair of tyre levers?

    What you want is one of these, the var tyre lever:

    http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/chrisg/20041004#product_of_the_day

    Which is thankfully still available at:

    http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/

    with whom my only connection is as a happy customer.

    Makes fitting tight tyres easy.

    --chris

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > I took delivery of a brand spanking new pir of Protons last night and
    > very nice they are too. Only thing is I spent about an _hour_ fitting
    > my Continental GP 3000s on them!! Damn, they are a tight fit! Any
    > suggestions for tyres with a 'looser' bead than GP 3000s?

    Vittoria Open Corsa 23 (though I've not tried the latest versions), or
    Schwalbe Blizzard Kevlar 25 for a tougher winter tyre.

    ~PB

  4. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > I took delivery of a brand spanking new pir of Protons last night and very
    > nice they are too. Only thing is I spent about an _hour_ fitting my
    > Continental GP 3000s on them!! Damn, they are a tight fit! Any suggestions
    > for tyres with a 'looser' bead than GP 3000s? I'm afraid I won't be able to
    > get the Contis off now without destroying them -- or myself for that matter.
    > Also, any recommendations for a hefty pair of tyre levers?
    >
    > Thanks.

    soapy water?
    --
    ---
    Marten

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Chris Gerhard wrote:
    > Simonb wrote:
    >
    >> I took delivery of a brand spanking new pir of Protons last night and
    >> very
    >> nice they are too. Only thing is I spent about an _hour_ fitting my
    >> Continental GP 3000s on them!! Damn, they are a tight fit! Any
    >> suggestions
    >> for tyres with a 'looser' bead than GP 3000s? I'm afraid I won't be
    >> able to
    >> get the Contis off now without destroying them -- or myself for that
    >> matter.
    >> Also, any recommendations for a hefty pair of tyre levers?

    > What you want is one of these, the var tyre lever:
    >
    > http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/chrisg/20041004#product_of_the_day
    >
    > Which is thankfully still available at:
    >
    > http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/
    >
    > with whom my only connection is as a happy customer.
    >
    > Makes fitting tight tyres easy.
    >
    > --chris

    I'll second that, I was introduced to the VAR525 by a helpful soul who
    stopped to help me a few years ago. He used his tool to help me repair
    my puncture. I now have such a tool myself but one of the hooks has
    snapped off.

  6. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > I'll second that, I was introduced to the VAR525 by a helpful
    > soul who stopped to help me a few years ago. He used his tool
    > to help me repair my puncture. I now have such a tool myself but
    > one of the hooks has snapped off.

    The Crank Brothers tyre lever, which you can buy in Halfords, can be
    quite useful with tight tyres. It's a neat gadget but not perfect. You
    can skin your knuckles with it if you're not careful as it tends to
    move quite suddenly. It also tends to lose a hook when it wears out or
    if you're too brutal with it.

    --
    Dave...

  7. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    m-gineering wrote:

    > soapy water?

    It helps, but they are incredibly tight. and soapy water is hard to come by
    on the road!

    Thanks all for your responses: very helpful as always. I've invested in the
    tyre levers recommended by Chris and will go for the Vittorias when the
    Contis wear out.

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > I've invested in the
    > tyre levers recommended by Chris and will go for the Vittorias when the
    > Contis wear out.

    ......or get a puncture ;-)

    Tony

  9. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Simonb wrote:
    >

    >> I've invested in the
    >> tyre levers recommended by Chris and will go for the Vittorias when
    >> the Contis wear out.
    >>

    > .....or get a puncture ;-)

    With the VAR levers, I hope the task will not be as demanding even with the
    Contis.

  10. Simonb wrote:

    > I took delivery of a brand spanking new pir of Protons last night and very
    > nice they are too. Only thing is I spent about an _hour_ fitting my
    > Continental GP 3000s on them!! Damn, they are a tight fit! Any suggestions
    > for tyres with a 'looser' bead than GP 3000s? I'm afraid I won't be able to
    > get the Contis off now without destroying them -- or myself for that matter.
    > Also, any recommendations for a hefty pair of tyre levers?

    Panaracer Stradius are a looser fit than most. But first try fitting
    them with lots of talc on the inner tube. It does help.

    Halfords sell metal tyre levers. They will mark black rims, but that
    serves you right for being a fashion victim ;-)

  11. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Halfords sell metal tyre levers. They will mark black rims

    Ohhh. No! Can't have that!

  12. "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote:

    | I took delivery of a brand spanking new pir of Protons last night and very
    | nice they are too. Only thing is I spent about an _hour_ fitting my
    | Continental GP 3000s on them!! Damn, they are a tight fit! Any suggestions
    | for tyres with a 'looser' bead than GP 3000s? I'm afraid I won't be able to
    | get the Contis off now without destroying them -- or myself for that matter.

    I know this is a bit of a duh yeah but did you make sure the bead
    that's already the right side of the rim wall gets into the well in
    the middle, assuming there is a well in the middle? I've wrestled with
    kevlar beads before now, spotted the possibility of reducing the
    diameter a few mm and it made all the difference. I didn't need any
    lever after that, for getting the tyre on anyway.

    --
    Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html