Wanted advice on getting from Geneva to Alpe d'Huez

Mike M

Guest
I will be in Geneva the weekend of the 12-13th with a rental car. What is the best route to Alpe
d'Huez on the 13th? How early to leave, where to park, how much walking, how bad is it trying to get
back to Geneva that night etc.?

>I will be in Geneva the weekend of the 12-13th with a rental car. What is the best route to Alpe
>d'Huez on the 13th? How early to leave, where to park, how much walking, how bad is it trying to
>get back to Geneva that night etc.?

If you leave from Geneva on the 13th, you'll get to the Alpe d'Huez too late.... rather... you won't
get there.... unless you leave prior to 4 in the AM (or thereabout) You would need to leave on the
12th and try to find a room (good luck), or simply camp in the car. On the 13th, you would need to
go around through Grenoble as the Col du Galibier will lekely be closed. If you cant leave early
enough the Galibier would be nearer and a "decent" alternative.

Getting back will be hell until Grenoble as everyone will be doing the same; once the race has gone
by, you could actually try to go up the galibier to cut across; most people will be traveling
east-west and perhaps south ; not too many heading North. It gets dark around 10:00PM and you should
make it to Geneva by then (maybe....)

- Chris - http://www.customgetaways.com Sport Vacations (Multisport, Cycling,
Marathons, etc...)

The road from the village (Le Bourg d'Oisans) at the base of the Alpe d'Huez climb to the top of
Alpe d'Huez will be closed at 10:00
a.m. on the day of the race. People drive and park along the route until all hours of the night
(errrr... and morning!). I drove from Orange and ended my drive at the top of Alpe d'Huez at
3:00 a.m. I slept in my car as there were no rooms available. All the rooms at the top have
been booked for months. Here are your directions.

Start: Depart Geneva, Genève, Switzerland on Rue de Chantepoulet (East) 0.1
1: Bear RIGHT (South-East) onto Rue du Mont-Blanc < 0.1
2: Road name changes to Place Kléberg [Rue du Mont-Blanc] < 0.1
3: Road name changes to Rue du Mont-Blanc 0.1
4: Road name changes to Pont du Mont-Blanc 0.2
5: Bear LEFT (East) onto Quai du Général-Guisan 0.1
6: Road name changes to Place des Florentines [Quai du Général-Guisan] < 0.1
7: Road name changes to Quai du Général-Guisan 0.1
8: Road name changes to Local road(s) < 0.1
9: Road name changes to Rue François-Versonnex 0.1
10: Turn RIGHT (South) onto Boulevard Helvétique 0.2
11: Turn LEFT (South-East) onto Rue Ferdinand-Hodler 0.2
12: Road name changes to Place Émile Guyénot < 0.1
13: Road name changes to Route de Malagnou 1.8
14: Road name changes to Route Blanche 0.6
15: Entering France
16: Road name changes to A411 1.3
17: *Toll road* Road name changes to A40 [E25] 6.6
18: Keep RIGHT onto Échangeur de Scientrier towards A41 / E712 / La Roche S/ Fon / Annecy / Grenoble
/ Lyon 0.2
19: Road name changes to A41 [E712] 0.4
20: *Toll road* Stay on A41 [E712] (South-West) 47.2
21: Keep RIGHT onto Échangeur de Turin Grenoble Chambéry towards E70 / A43 / Chambéry / Aéroport /
Albertville / Grenoble / Turin .4
22: Keep STRAIGHT onto Ramp 0.7
23: Road name changes to E70 [N201] 3.7
24: At E70 Exit 19, road name changes to A43 [E70] 2.0
25: *Toll road* Stay on A43 [E70] (South) 4.3
26: *Toll road* Keep LEFT onto A41 [E712] towards A41 / E712 / Pontcharra / Grenoble 23.9
27: Keep STRAIGHT onto Échangeur de Meylan Est towards N87 / Rocade Sud / Toutes Directions / Gières
/ Domaine Universitaire 0.4
28: Road name changes to N87 3.9
29: At N87 Exit 5, keep RIGHT onto Ramp towards Eybens / Grenoble-Centre / Bresson 0.1
30: Turn LEFT (South) onto D5 [Avenue Jean Jaurès] 2.3
31: At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto D5 4.7
32: Turn RIGHT (North) onto Local road(s) < 0.1
33: Turn RIGHT (West) onto D5 [Avenue Maurice Thorez] 0.3
34: Bear LEFT (South) onto N85 0.3
35: Keep STRAIGHT onto N91 4.3
36: Road name changes to D591 1.2
37: Bear RIGHT (East) onto N91 14.8
38: Turn RIGHT (South-East) onto Local road(s) 0.1 End: Arrive Le Bourg-d'Oisans, Isère,
Rhône-Alpes, France

Now you're at the base of the climb up to Alpe d'Huez!

Good luck.

EP wrote:

> Start: Depart Geneva, Genève, Switzerland on Rue de Chantepoulet (East) 0.1

Where is the Rue de Chantepoulet, please?

Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> EP wrote:

> > Start: Depart Geneva, Genève, Switzerland on Rue de Chantepoulet (East) 0.1

> Where is the Rue de Chantepoulet, please?

you can't miss it, just look for the singing chickens.

-ben spent a week in france once, which makes me half fluent

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>EP wrote:
>

>>>Start: Depart Geneva, Genève, Switzerland on Rue de Chantepoulet (East) 0.1
>

>>Where is the Rue de Chantepoulet, please?
>

> you can't miss it, just look for the singing chickens.

Geneva? Switerland? Maybe? nah it's in New York, I'm sure of it.

> -ben spent a week in france once, which makes me half fluent

Practice, practice, practice :)