Wanted: BB cup jam nuts (Attn: LBS retail sales)

Exclamation Point Jones wrote:
> Jones... who once, as a kid, tried to sniff Elmer's glue. (heard it
> was "kicks", but I got it all over me face!)

If you like getting white sticky stuff from a bull, these people have a
job for you: <http://absglobal.com/>.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:26:31 +0200, in rec.bicycles.tech "James
Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've read that there was a time when the Italians bought their lathes from
>the British.

English engineering has always favored the aesthetic over the
functional design. Consider the Spitfire: IMO, the prettiest piece of
art ever to be lifted by the hand of God... no match for the ME109 in
combat, of course, unless the latter was out of fuel, but, by gwad, it
*looked* better.

So, then we had the English Standard thread, which wasn't really a
metric system at all, but a cryptographic message from space aliens.

Jones

Exclamation Point Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:26:31 +0200, in rec.bicycles.tech "James
> Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I've read that there was a time when the Italians bought their lathes from
>> the British.

> English engineering has always favored the aesthetic over the
> functional design. Consider the Spitfire: IMO, the prettiest piece of
> art ever to be lifted by the hand of God...

I passed a Spitfire on the way home today in my Honda. Oh, wait, that
was a Triumph Spitfire.

Not being pulled by a two-truck is good performance for a vintage
English car. :(

!Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:21:19 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech SMS
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Is this what you're looking for:
>> "http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&ID=2294"?
>> or is it the wrong threading?

> Yeah, that's half of what I had in mind. The other half had a left
> thread... but, I'm convinced that it doesn't exist in our normal frame
> of reference; therefore, I have cut a pair out of T6. All they do for
> me is to hide the exposed threads, so... whatever that damn 'A' word
> is, it works for me. "All-you-min-ee-yum" or something like that.

Did you actually have a tap to cut the threads on what you cut out? I
have a tap and die set, but nothing that large.

!Jones wrote:
> English engineering has always favored the aesthetic over the
> functional design. Consider the Spitfire: IMO, the prettiest piece of
> art ever to be lifted by the hand of God... no match for the ME109 in
> combat, of course, unless the latter was out of fuel, but, by gwad, it
> *looked* better.
>
> So, then we had the English Standard thread, which wasn't really a
> metric system at all, but a cryptographic message from space aliens.

Not metric at all, Whitworth; designed by Joseph Whitworth, the first
broadly accepted thread standard. All else is revisionist!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Oct 3, 6:40 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> !Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:21:19 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech SMS
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Is this what you're looking for:
> >> "http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&ID=2294"?
> >> or is it the wrong threading?

> > Yeah, that's half of what I had in mind. The other half had a left
> > thread... but, I'm convinced that it doesn't exist in our normal frame
> > of reference; therefore, I have cut a pair out of T6. All they do for
> > me is to hide the exposed threads, so... whatever that damn 'A' word
> > is, it works for me. "All-you-min-ee-yum" or something like that.

> Did you actually have a tap to cut the threads on what you cut out? I
> have a tap and die set, but nothing that large.

A machinist's first instinct would be to cut that type
of large, fine pitch lockring thread on a lathe, rather than
with a tap. At least, that's what I think, but I'm not really
a machinist, I only talk to them. Since the threads in
question are the same as BB shell threads, cutters do
exist in that size, in Campy tool chests. But you can
chuck a lockring blank in a lathe much easier than you
can chuck a frame, so the need for a cutter is obviated.

BTW, Jones, people such as LBSes would have more
of a clue about what you wanted if you called them BB
lockrings, not jam nuts. However, although the non-drive-side
item is common (RH thread, adjustable cup), the
drive-side item (LH thread for English BB) is very unusual
as the vast majority of traditional BBs used a fixed cup
and no lockring.

Ben

A Muzi wrote:

> Note the cold purposeful logic of
> Swiss thread format. Abandoned by our industry of course.

Purposeful logic is the kind that says, "why the %@*% would you put
threads on an axle?"

Chalo

Chalo wrote:
> Purposeful logic is the kind that says, "why the %@*% would you put
> threads on an axle?"

I'm not sure I follow. It's an RH-reversed metric BB shell with matching
cups, m35x1G.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:40:39 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech SMS
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Did you actually have a tap to cut the threads on what you cut out? I
>have a tap and die set, but nothing that large.

Naa... you gotta do it on a lathe. It's like playing an old celluloid
record. You dial in what you want and take several passes.

Jones

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 03:51:52 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech

>BTW, Jones, people such as LBSes would have more
>of a clue about what you wanted if you called them BB
>lockrings, not jam nuts.

OK, I'll do that. One man's jam nut is another man's lock ring.

Jones