Wanted: bike shop recommendation in Chicago for tune up.

Robert Nicholso

Guest
Well my Merlin is on it's way to me and as it's not been in use for quite sometime I'd liike to have
it overhauled and I might need them to take care of some corrosion that was once on the steerer tube
of the Time Vectran fork. Caused by adhesive residue from a sticker that was on it once. A few years
ago it was treated but I've not inspected it for a while as it's been on a different continent.

It's not really a tune up since the bike has been in a Tricosports Ironcase so it needs everything
lubed and adjusted before it's road worthy and I don't have a bike stand at the moment to do all of
this myself.

Can anybody recommend a good bike shop that can take care of this Record 99 equiped bike?

Is Cycle Smithy reliable? I live near Michigan and Ontario so something that's close is best. That
shop is the only one I've seen carrying high end kit.

Where's the best place to get wheels built in Chicago?

[email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well my Merlin is on it's way to me and as it's not been in use for quite sometime I'd liike to
> have it overhauled and I might need them to take care of some corrosion that was once on the
> steerer tube of the Time Vectran fork. Caused by adhesive residue from a sticker that was on it
> once. A few years ago it was treated but I've not inspected it for a while as it's been on a
> different continent.
>
> It's not really a tune up since the bike has been in a Tricosports Ironcase so it needs everything
> lubed and adjusted before it's road worthy and I don't have a bike stand at the moment to do all
> of this myself.
>
> Can anybody recommend a good bike shop that can take care of this Record 99 equiped bike?
>
> Is Cycle Smithy reliable? I live near Michigan and Ontario so something that's close is best. That
> shop is the only one I've seen carrying high end kit.
>
> Where's the best place to get wheels built in Chicago?

Pony Shop - in Evanston. Worth the El ride. Ask for Lou.

-a

is Turin still located in Navy Pier? if so, then they are quality work that is close to you

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> is Turin still located in Navy Pier? if so, then they are quality work that is close to you

North Pier Turin has been gone for 5-6 years.

I second the Pony Shop recommendation.

I true wheels. I have references too. Ask Mark Lebowitz. I think he's on USENET frequently. I will
pick up, true and deliver. Email me first. I will beat their prices.

Bob V.M.

On 15 May 2003 20:13:42 -0700, [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote:

>Well my Merlin is on it's way to me and as it's not been in use for quite sometime I'd liike to
>have it overhauled and I might need them to take care of some corrosion that was once on the
>steerer tube of the Time Vectran fork. Caused by adhesive residue from a sticker that was on it
>once. A few years ago it was treated but I've not inspected it for a while as it's been on a
>different continent.
>
>It's not really a tune up since the bike has been in a Tricosports Ironcase so it needs everything
>lubed and adjusted before it's road worthy and I don't have a bike stand at the moment to do all of
>this myself.
>
>Can anybody recommend a good bike shop that can take care of this Record 99 equiped bike?
>
>Is Cycle Smithy reliable? I live near Michigan and Ontario so something that's close is best. That
>shop is the only one I've seen carrying high end kit.
>
>Where's the best place to get wheels built in Chicago?

[email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Turin have a store out in Evaston.
>
> [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "xzzy" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > is Turin still located in Navy Pier? if so, then they are quality work that is close to you
> >
> > North Pier Turin has been gone for 5-6 years.
> >
> > I second the Pony Shop recommendation.

Yes, but the poster was looking for a recommendation. I personally would have a hard time
recommending Turin. If you want a Service oriented shop, not one that caters to doctors riding
Merlins, go see Lou.

-a