Wanted: bike shop recommendation in Chicago for tune up.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Nicholso, May 15, 2003.

  1. Well my Merlin is on it's way to me and as it's not been in use for quite sometime I'd liike to have
    it overhauled and I might need them to take care of some corrosion that was once on the steerer tube
    of the Time Vectran fork. Caused by adhesive residue from a sticker that was on it once. A few years
    ago it was treated but I've not inspected it for a while as it's been on a different continent.

    It's not really a tune up since the bike has been in a Tricosports Ironcase so it needs everything
    lubed and adjusted before it's road worthy and I don't have a bike stand at the moment to do all of
    this myself.

    Can anybody recommend a good bike shop that can take care of this Record 99 equiped bike?

    Is Cycle Smithy reliable? I live near Michigan and Ontario so something that's close is best. That
    shop is the only one I've seen carrying high end kit.

    Where's the best place to get wheels built in Chicago?

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well my Merlin is on it's way to me and as it's not been in use for quite sometime I'd liike to
    > have it overhauled and I might need them to take care of some corrosion that was once on the
    > steerer tube of the Time Vectran fork. Caused by adhesive residue from a sticker that was on it
    > once. A few years ago it was treated but I've not inspected it for a while as it's been on a
    > different continent.
    >
    > It's not really a tune up since the bike has been in a Tricosports Ironcase so it needs everything
    > lubed and adjusted before it's road worthy and I don't have a bike stand at the moment to do all
    > of this myself.
    >
    > Can anybody recommend a good bike shop that can take care of this Record 99 equiped bike?
    >
    > Is Cycle Smithy reliable? I live near Michigan and Ontario so something that's close is best. That
    > shop is the only one I've seen carrying high end kit.
    >
    > Where's the best place to get wheels built in Chicago?

    Pony Shop - in Evanston. Worth the El ride. Ask for Lou.

    -a

  3. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    is Turin still located in Navy Pier? if so, then they are quality work that is close to you

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. In article <[email protected]>, "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > is Turin still located in Navy Pier? if so, then they are quality work that is close to you

    North Pier Turin has been gone for 5-6 years.

    I second the Pony Shop recommendation.

  5. Urbancyclist

    Urbancyclist Guest

    I true wheels. I have references too. Ask Mark Lebowitz. I think he's on USENET frequently. I will
    pick up, true and deliver. Email me first. I will beat their prices.

    Bob V.M.

    On 15 May 2003 20:13:42 -0700, [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote:

    >Well my Merlin is on it's way to me and as it's not been in use for quite sometime I'd liike to
    >have it overhauled and I might need them to take care of some corrosion that was once on the
    >steerer tube of the Time Vectran fork. Caused by adhesive residue from a sticker that was on it
    >once. A few years ago it was treated but I've not inspected it for a while as it's been on a
    >different continent.
    >
    >It's not really a tune up since the bike has been in a Tricosports Ironcase so it needs everything
    >lubed and adjusted before it's road worthy and I don't have a bike stand at the moment to do all of
    >this myself.
    >
    >Can anybody recommend a good bike shop that can take care of this Record 99 equiped bike?
    >
    >Is Cycle Smithy reliable? I live near Michigan and Ontario so something that's close is best. That
    >shop is the only one I've seen carrying high end kit.
    >
    >Where's the best place to get wheels built in Chicago?

  6. Turin have a store out in Evaston.

    [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "xzzy"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > is Turin still located in Navy Pier? if so, then they are quality work that is close to you
    >
    > North Pier Turin has been gone for 5-6 years.
    >
    > I second the Pony Shop recommendation.

  7. [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Turin have a store out in Evaston.
    >
    > [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "xzzy" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > is Turin still located in Navy Pier? if so, then they are quality work that is close to you
    > >
    > > North Pier Turin has been gone for 5-6 years.
    > >
    > > I second the Pony Shop recommendation.

    Yes, but the poster was looking for a recommendation. I personally would have a hard time
    recommending Turin. If you want a Service oriented shop, not one that caters to doctors riding
    Merlins, go see Lou.

    -a