Wanted, Cups & Cones for Ultegra 8 Speed Hub.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gclark8, Oct 19, 2005.

1. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I recently bought a "spare" 650c wheel, FH-6402 hub, Velocity Deep-V rim, Conti Ultra Gator Skin Tyre for the value of just the tyre. I found the hub to be rather noisy and on inspection needs both cups and cones replacing.

Shimano Aust. no longer have the parts and the local "have everything" shops, no cups.

Can anyone help? A new hub would be overkill.

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

OK, plan "B". Has anyone fitted sealed bearings to one of these hubs?? If so, any part numbers please.

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Found this: http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/c...r.0008.Schematic.0006.File.tmp/fh_6500_ev.pdf
    It seems we are not ment to remove the cups, replace the hub is the answer.

A few options here:

1. A cheap Formula Hub in the existing wheel, about $40.

2. A new Wheel using a FH-6500 Ultegra hub and a new Velocity Deep-V Rim, about $150 for the hub, $32 for the spokes, yet to price the rim. Looks like a lot for a training wheel.

3. Just use the wheel as is for the indoor trainer and put up with noisy bearings. Turn up the music, no charge.. :)

4. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

George, why don't you lubricate the hub and ride it into the ground, and then consider either throwing the wheel away, or rebuilding the rim onto another (cheap) hub?

5. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Shimano doesn't consider the cups to be replaceable, so it's time to get creative. I've removed the cups from an old XT hub once, that was a 30-sec job. The inner diameter of the cup was smaller than the diameter of the central cavity of the hub. A big screwdriver inserted from the other side and some light tapping with a mallet was all that it took to pop that one out.
    I've tried the same on an old road hub, but that was worse. Without a protruding lip to bang against I ended up cutting the aluminum body in two to free the cup.

I've also tried retrofitting a cartidge bearing on an old hub, which took some doing. Cup o.d. was something like 29.6 mm while standard bearing o.d. is 30 mm. It's doable by sticking the hub in a lathe and enlarging the hole. Maybe someone with a steady hand could do it freehand with a Dremel?

If you go for a cartridge bearing do remember that you need either to add a central core to protect the inner race from axial loads, or to use a combined axial/radial bearing. Running a cartridge bearing with axial loads will cut down life length considerably.

6. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Thanks for the most informative response. It would be a good project for someone retired with a lathe to collect old DA and Ultegra hubs and convert them to cartridge bearings. I can see it is beyond my ability.

Good news today, Shimano will have some cones next week, and the local bearing shop has 23 balls for the minimum change of $5! This will mean a total of about $35.

I will keep looking for a cheap hub if the wheel is too noisy. I can get a sealed bearing hub for about $75, but would set that up with a new rim and spokes. (=new wheel)

Thanks again for the response, I am glad someone has had a go at these hubs.

7. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

go for a 105 hub , it´s a lot cheaper and identical bearings ( according to the local bike shop ) and almost the same weight .

8. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

More good news, Shimano have sent me an exploded view of the FH-6402 and have now found me a freehub body with cup. Life is much easier when you have the correct part numbers. :cool: I should have the cones next week. Got the balls from SKF, 25 for $5.

9. John M

John M New Member

Doesn't solve your original cup problem though--or was it just the freehub cup that was bad?

10. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

The drive side cup is badly pitted, however 3 out of 4 aint bad, it should make things a little smoother and quieter. I would not consider the removal of the non drive side cup without a genuine new replacement in my hands. As its only the spare wheel, lets see how it goes.

11. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

George, how much are you paying for the freehub body?

12. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Won't have the "consumer" price until next week, however thay said it would be about the same price as a Sora body. My LBS has been quite good with passing on discounted prices, for example, Ultegra (3x9) rear derailleur for $125.