Wanted: Fat clincher recommendations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff S., Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Jeff S.

    Jeff S. Guest

    We just received a bike with Continental Ultra Gatorskins with 700x28 tyres. Unfortunately, they
    measure more like a 25 - 26mm.

    Any other recommendations for high pressure (100ish psi) clinchers for rough road training and a
    230# body. This rules out the Conti Top Touring 2000, unfortunately. Panaracer Pasela Tourguard /
    Panaracer Rolly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy maybe? I looked at the Sheldon and Peter Jon White site for
    ideas, but didn't get too many other candidates.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Jeff S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >We just received a bike with Continental Ultra Gatorskins with 700x28 tyres. Unfortunately, they
    >measure more like a 25 - 26mm.
    >
    >Any other recommendations for high pressure (100ish psi) clinchers for rough road training and a
    >230# body. This rules out the Conti Top Touring 2000, unfortunately. Panaracer Pasela Tourguard /
    >Panaracer Rolly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy maybe? I looked at the Sheldon and Peter Jon White site for
    >ideas, but didn't get too many other candidates.

    The Pasela is a good general-purpose tire. The 700x32 is more like a 28. I have not tried the
    Rivendell tires but I suspect they are also fine. I hope your bike has adequate clearance. On my
    fancy bike I can clear the 700x32 Pasela in back but not in front; I use an Avocet 700x28 in the
    front instead. My "dirt" bike has normal-reach brakes and has no trouble clearing the 700x32 Pasela
    (or larger).

    --Paul

  3. Jeff S. wrote:
    > We just received a bike with Continental Ultra Gatorskins with 700x28 tyres. Unfortunately, they
    > measure more like a 25 - 26mm.
    >
    > Any other recommendations for high pressure (100ish psi) clinchers for rough road training and a
    > 230# body. This rules out the Conti Top Touring 2000, unfortunately.

    Huh? What's wrong with the Top Touring 2000? These come in lots of widths, and will handle any
    reasonable pressure with ease.

    Perhaps you've fallen into the trap of imagining that the pressure rating marked on the tire means
    something. It doesn't, and it is a mistake to pay any attention at all to this number

    I go into considerable detail on this topic in the "pressure" section of my "Tires/Tyres" article.
    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

    > Panaracer Pasela Tourguard / Panaracer (Rivendell) Rolly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy maybe? I looked at
    > the Sheldon and Peter Jon White site for ideas, but didn't find too many other candidates.

    Those are excellent tires, I run Roll-y Pol-ys on several of my own bikes.

    The Avocet Duro, 700 x 28 is also a great tire.

    A tire that I like a lot, that's a terrific bargain, is the Ritchey Tom Slick. These are an actual
    32, (marked both 30 and 32 in different places!) They are nice and round, good riding, and a bargain
    at $19.95. We sell lots of these for tandem use.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/622.html

    Sheldon "Tahrs" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts +------------------------------------+
    | Whenever people agree with me | I always feel I must be wrong. | -- Oscar Wilde |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:06:57 -0400, "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We just received a bike with Continental Ultra Gatorskins with 700x28 tyres. Unfortunately, they
    >measure more like a 25 - 26mm.
    >
    >Any other recommendations for high pressure (100ish psi) clinchers for rough road training and a
    >230# body. This rules out the Conti Top Touring 2000, unfortunately. Panaracer Pasela Tourguard /
    >Panaracer Rolly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy maybe? I looked at the Sheldon and Peter Jon White site for
    >ideas, but didn't get too many other candidates.

    I'm not sure how you measured. I measured the width of the tire while inflated from sidewall to
    sidewall with a caliper and thought that was accurated. Then one day, the size of a tire changed
    when I put it on a rim with a different bead width.

    I run 700x32 Paselas on my tandem with 340-350 lbs. of riders. They measure 700x29 and that is
    actully what Panaracer tells you on their website. I inflate them to 100 lbs in the front and 90 in
    the rear. People run them at higher pressures but I want a softer ride. The Specialized Nimbus runs
    a bit wider than the stated size. I don't like use belted tires because I like the tires to roll and
    the sidewalls to flex.

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We just received a bike with Continental Ultra Gatorskins with 700x28
    tyres.
    > Unfortunately, they measure more like a 25 - 26mm.
    >
    > Any other recommendations for high pressure (100ish psi) clinchers for
    rough
    > road training and a 230# body. This rules out the Conti Top Touring 2000, unfortunately. Panaracer
    > Pasela Tourguard / Panaracer Rolly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy maybe? I looked at the Sheldon and Peter
    > Jon White site for ideas, but didn't get too many other candidates.

    IRC Roadwinner 700-28 IRC Tandem 30 Panaracer Pasela 700-28 Panaracer Pasela 700-32

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > We just received a bike with Continental Ultra Gatorskins with 700x28 tyres. Unfortunately, they
    > measure more like a 25 - 26mm.
    >
    > Any other recommendations for high pressure (100ish psi) clinchers for rough road training and a
    > 230# body. This rules out the Conti Top Touring 2000, unfortunately. Panaracer Pasela Tourguard /
    > Panaracer Rolly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy maybe? I looked at the Sheldon and Peter Jon White site for
    > ideas, but didn't get too many other candidates.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    FWIW: I've had excellent experience with the Continental tires. I'm about 215 pounds nowadays, and I
    can't unweight the rear wheel (I've ridden recumbents for 12+ years).

    I had a 700 x 32 Pasela last about 1500 miles before suffering a fatal glass cut on a December night
    ride. A very nice tire- a smooth, almost squishy ride at 110psi. I've replaced it with an IRC Tandem
    EX 700 x 30C, which rides almost as nice and is more confidence-inspiring in fast corners.

    Jeff

  7. << Any other recommendations for high pressure (100ish psi) clinchers for rough road training and a
    230# body. This rules out the Conti Top Touring 2000, unfortunately.

    Why rule this really good tire out? Cuz it isn't 'high pressure'?

    It will still work well for you-

  8. TNEWSOME1

    TNEWSOME1 Guest

    Sheldon I don't know about the 700c version of the Ritchey Tom Slick but the 26" version didn't last
    long at all on my commuter bike, they wore out real fast! "Sheldon Brown"