Wanted fold away bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pete, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Wanted fold away bike (suitable for taking on train)

    Anyone out there with one to well?

    Thanks

    Pete

    Tags:

  2. Kaputnik

    Kaputnik Guest

    As far as news groups go, you might have more luck with rec.bicycles.marketplace.

    Always plenty of stuff on Ebay.

    If you want a new folder that won't cost too much, consider a Dahon, http://www.dahon.com/index.htm
    A lot of their dealers aren't too good about keeping them in stock, but they'll always order one for
    you. I have a Boardwalk D6, which is no where near as good as my Bike Friday, but it's fine for
    casual riding and short commutes. Folds up pretty fast, too.

    "pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Wanted fold away bike (suitable for taking on train)
    >
    > Anyone out there with one to well?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pete

  3. On 3 Mar 2004 08:08:55 -0800, [email protected] (Kaputnik)
    wrote:

    >As far as news groups go, you might have more luck with rec.bicycles.marketplace.
    >
    >Always plenty of stuff on Ebay.
    >
    >If you want a new folder that won't cost too much, consider a Dahon, http://www.dahon.com/index.htm
    >A lot of their dealers aren't too good about keeping them in stock, but they'll always order one
    >for you. I have a Boardwalk D6, which is no where near as good as my Bike Friday, but it's fine for
    >casual riding and short commutes. Folds up pretty fast, too.

    There's always the gold standard for folding commuter bicycles, the mighty Brompton:

    http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

    there are loads of these all over London. Fold down almost as fast as a copy of the Evening
    Standard, and very nearly as small. Very cool. Pricey, but generally regarded as *the* thing for multi-
    modal commuting.

    -Luigi

  4. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

  5. On 03 Mar 2004 08:50:25 -0800, Jym Dyer <[email protected]> wrote:

    >=v= That may be the gold standard for folding, but the gold standard for riding is Bike Friday:
    >
    >http://www.bikefriday.com/

    I own a Bike Friday Metro for commuting and my wife owns a Breezer. The Metro is NOT the most
    elegant folder when folding, although timewise it can't be more than a 5-10 second difference, even
    with standard pedals and fenders. If it is elegance, I think the Breezer, though heavier, has the
    better assembly and folding, not to mention the 7spd internal hub.

    Still, prefer the Metro, OTOH, she prefers the Breezer, so I guess it all works out. Next year is
    the year for two folding recumbents...

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

  6. On 03 Mar 2004 08:50:25 -0800, Jym Dyer <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> There's always the gold standard for folding commuter bicycles, the mighty Brompton:
    >> http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/
    >
    >=v= That may be the gold standard for folding, but the gold standard for riding is Bike Friday:
    >
    >http://www.bikefriday.com/

    The Bike Friday is more of a transportable bicycle than a real commuter folder like the Brompton--
    and the OP was looking for something he could fold and take on his rail commute.

    -Luigi

  7. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:37:38 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Bike Friday is more of a transportable bicycle than a real commuter folder like the Brompton--
    >and the OP was looking for something he could fold and take on his rail commute.
    >
    >-Luigi

    The Bike Friday Metro folds in about 45 seconds to a package a bit larger than the wheels
    (although technically the handlebar and stem doesn't fold). If you don't have fenders and rack, it
    is lighter than most other folders. With rack and fenders, it is still very foldable and easily
    carried with one hand.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

  8. Mp

    Mp Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:18:18 -0500, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote: (snip)
    >There's always the gold standard for folding commuter bicycles, the mighty Brompton:
    >
    >http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/
    >
    >there are loads of these all over London. Fold down almost as fast as a copy of the Evening
    >Standard, and very nearly as small. Very cool. Pricey, but generally regarded as *the* thing for
    >multi-modal commuting.
    >
    >-Luigi

    These do have a good reputation. OTOH, last I checked, the absolute bottom of the line 3 speed no
    frills Brompton cost $650 in the U.S. It doesn't take a lot of extras to bring them over $1000.
    Cheaper in the UK of course.

    You can get several decent Dahon models in the $250 to $400 dollar range. 3 speeds, or 6 or 8 speed
    derailleur models.

  9. Mp

    Mp Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:01:15 -0500, MP <[email protected]> wrote: SNIP

    >These do have a good reputation. OTOH, last I checked, the absolute bottom of the line 3 speed no
    >frills Brompton cost $650 in the U.S. It doesn't take a lot of extras to bring them over $1000.
    >Cheaper in the UK of course.

    And, equally of course, only now do I notice that the OP is posting from the UK. So he may be able
    to find a used Brompton at a reasonable price.

  10. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    <[email protected]>:

    >You can get several decent Dahon models in the $250 to $400 dollar range. 3 speeds, or 6 or 8 speed
    >derailleur models.

    True. But the Brompton will outlast the Dahon. The Brompton is just amazing - and I am saving
    up for one!

    --
    Guy
    ===

  11. Cunobelin

    Cunobelin New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2004
    If you have large feet, catching your heel on bags on the Brompton rack is a proble, as with earlier Birdy racks. Hence I had to choose a bicycle which had a higher rack.

    During trying out the options I came to the conclusion that there are some superb machines around, each with its strong and weak points.

    I must dispute the claim for Bike Friday as the Gold Standard though- The definitive ride for a folding bike has to be the Airnimal Chameleon (www.airnimal.com) it may not be the quickest fold, but it's VERY fast and comfortable,

    =v= That may be the gold standard for folding, but the gold standard for riding is Bike Friday:

    http://www.bikefriday.com/

    <_Jym_ [/B][/QUOTE]

  12. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > The Bike Friday is more of a transportable bicycle than a real commuter folder like the
    > Brompton ...

    =v= I've used it for a daily commute as well. It folds up easily (and quickly, once you get the hang
    of it), though of course not as small as the Brompton.

    =v= If the rail line insists on a certain size -- e.g. "must fit under the seat or in the overhead
    luggage rack" -- then the Brompton may indeed be the one to go with. I've not been turned away from
    any rail or bus service with my folded Friday, though.* <_Jym_>

    * There was one obstreperous driver who tried to kick my girlfriend and her Bike Friday off his bus,
    but we called the transit company and had them explain to him that she was, in fact, allowed on.

  13. On 04 Mar 2004 09:43:30 -0800, Jym Dyer <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> The Bike Friday is more of a transportable bicycle than a real commuter folder like the
    >> Brompton ...
    >
    >=v= I've used it for a daily commute as well. It folds up easily (and quickly, once you get the
    >hang of it), though of course not as small as the Brompton.
    >
    >=v= If the rail line insists on a certain size -- e.g. "must fit under the seat or in the overhead
    >luggage rack" -- then the Brompton may indeed be the one to go with. I've not been turned away from
    >any rail or bus service with my folded Friday, though.*

    The regulations on the commuter railways that feed London are too varied for me to remember. I seem
    to recall that many of the services during peak hours are off-limits to cyclists of *any* stripe.
    Trains are standing-room only all the way from Cambridge to London Kings' Cross (the bit of the
    network I'm most familiar with), so regulations or no regulations, there's precious little space to
    fit even a folded bicycle on a crowded carriage.

    English trains are also a *lot* smaller than American ones, I find, as well. You might not have any
    problems on big American commuter-rail coaches--but British trains are very narrow & cramped by
    comparison. There's still loads of old-fashioned "slam-door" rolling stock plying the rails between
    London and Southampton. I've seen bromptons on these, no sweat.

    -Luigi