[wanted] Gun, petrol, Lighthouse Family

Mark Thompson

Guest
Hack bike and the old road bike, awaiting repair, were nicked from the back
garden.

What's particularly annoying is the bikes couldn't be seen from other
property or the street so some oik has obviously been giving the house a
once-over. Guess we're quite lucky they didn't try the house. Off to get
razor wire and DIY minefield to make their job a little harder next time.
Anyone know of any official advice into how far garden fortifications can
go? I presume bamboo spikes to catch their footsies when they hop over the
fence are out?

On the bright side, the nice bike is safe and sound indoors and the lock
broke their bold cutters.

If anyone around Manchester sees a battered green Peugeot Prologue with
white handlebar tape and 7 speed RSX shifters, or a battered black Raleigh
Pursuit with 5 speed downtube shifters, new black bar tape and Shimano
Exage brake levers with 105 calipers ... you know what to do ...

--
Mark.

> Anyone know of any official advice into how far garden fortifications can
> go? I presume bamboo spikes to catch their footsies when they hop over the
> fence are out?

Plant a Pyrocanthus ("Fire thorn") bush where the tossers hopped over
your fence - they are vicious to the point of being better than razor
wire and have nice orange berries in the Spring to boot - they are a
bar-steward to prune mind you :)

Mark Thompson twisted the electrons to say:
> I presume bamboo spikes to catch their footsies when they hop over the
> fence are out?

Depending on the height & strength of your fence, then maybe something
like the following across the top would be useful? "Strictly for pest
control officier" ... http://tinyurl.com/ldjgo

"Alistair Gunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mark Thompson twisted the electrons to say:
>> I presume bamboo spikes to catch their footsies when they hop over the
>> fence are out?

> Depending on the height & strength of your fence, then maybe something
> like the following across the top would be useful? "Strictly for pest
> control officier" ... http://tinyurl.com/ldjgo

They are perfectly legal - the spikes have the point slightly smoothed off
and thus are merely uncomfortable to put hands/paws on rather than being
sharp or dangerous.

I have them on the fence at our house in Reading and have never got any
trouble for having them. They were put there to deter a half-Siamese tom-cat
which fought with our own cat and penced in the front garden.

They work to an extent (it could no longer climb up on the walls) but the
cat would sometimes just swing in from a tree overhanging the front garden,
and then stare at you.

In the end I had to stare at the cat myself and yowl back at it like a
jungle cat which seemed to discourage it (as it had to run back up the fence
and over the "sharp" cones, and did not look at all happy about this
situation.)

Didn't do the cat any lasting harm but it would always give me a
/particularly/ dirty look whenever I saw it (and my own cat started hanging
around with his sister afterwards ;) )

I reckon they would be more effective at deterring humans who are less agile
and would not be able to get hand-holds on the tops of fences...

Alex

--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom