Wanted: Info on rides near Steens in S. Oregon

mamba

Guest
Heading down to the Steens for several days - do some wildlife
watching, hiking and biking. So far all the info we see on rides are
fire roads or pavement. Wondering if there are any legal singletrack
rides in the area?

Tnx
Gary

"mamba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Heading down to the Steens for several days - do some wildlife
> watching, hiking and biking. So far all the info we see on rides are
> fire roads or pavement. Wondering if there are any legal singletrack
> rides in the area?
>
> Tnx
> Gary

Heh, Steens, that's not a well traveled area, so here's what I do when I'm
headed out on the road less traveled.
check a hiking guide for ideas - any easy to moderate hike is usually
bikeable, and then cross check with BLM/USFS travel info. Or call and ask to
talk to a recreation ranger. Many times each district puts out a little
trail guide that's stuff typed up and photocopied.

ps

Bring a fishing pole and fish the Malheur. Watch out for rattlesnakes.
Juntura has some cow tracks around that can be ridden. Check with the Burns
office on the Forrest service. There is a whole lot of nothing there.
Enjoy it while you can. It is one of the areas of the country that has less
around it than Green River, UT.

TJ