Wanted: lightweight touring bike for 9-year old

Clyde Ingram

Guest
Any recommendations, please?

My son's experience's with many 2nd-hand bikes (from Raleigh, Apollo) suggest that the only
sensible option is to import, say, from Denmark, Holland, or Germany. Does anyone have any useful
links, please?

Regards, Clyde

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:17:45 +0100, "Clyde Ingram"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Any recommendations, please?

Not easily found in the UK. In the end we settled for a Dawes Kokomo 24" MTB (last year, on his 8th
b'day) and now we ride a triplet, little brother in seat 3. I'v resigned myself top Michael not
having a proper lightweight bike until secondary school, when he'll fit a small adult bike. Or more
likely a succession of adult bikes in rapidly increasing sizes, which is probably the heart of the
reason why they aren't available in kids' sizes :)

The plus side is we can ride much further and faster on the triplet than Michael can on his solo
(although he did do nearly 50 miles one Sunday last year). He's nine today, and more interested in
his new Hornby Flying Scotsman than his bike right now :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:17:45 +0100, "Clyde Ingram"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Any recommendations, please?
>
> Not easily found in the UK. In the end we settled for a Dawes Kokomo 24" MTB (last year, on his
> 8th b'day) and now we ride a triplet, little brother in seat 3. I'v resigned myself top Michael
> not having a proper lightweight bike until secondary school, when he'll fit a small adult bike. Or
> more likely a succession of adult bikes in rapidly increasing sizes, which is probably the heart
> of the reason why they aren't available in kids' sizes :)

Slightly sideways suggestion which will allow more adjustment as they grow - small wheeled quality
cycle. eg. Moulton (affordable Pashley variants!) or perhaps Brompton.

A friend of mine's 7 year old daughter rides his Brompton and gets on much better than on a child's
cycle. She also thinks its much better to be able to ride an adult bicycle.

NC