wanted: loop day road rides in CO, UT, WY

Kelling

Guest
Greetings,

My wife and I are headed west for a spell, and would love to see some of the scenery from our road
bikes. I'd love your suggested rides or pointers to websites for, say, 30 to 60 mile loop road
rides with less than 5000 vertical feet of climbing in or near (say within 30 miles of) the
following areas:

Colorado: Rocky Mountain National Park Black Canyon of the Gunnison Grand Junction Any great ideas
between those places in CO

Utah: Arches National Park Canyonlands National Park Bryce Canyon National Park Zion National Park
Any great ideas between those places in UT

Wyoming: Grand Teton National Park Yellowstone National Park

And, anything that seems to be on the way between the 3 states.

Thanks so much,

David

(Kelling) writes:

>My wife and I are headed west for a spell, and would love to see some of the scenery from our road
>bikes. I'd love your suggested rides or pointers to websites for, say, 30 to 60 mile loop road
>rides with less than 5000 vertical feet of climbing in or near (say within 30 miles of) the
>following areas:
>
>Colorado: Rocky Mountain National Park Black Canyon of the Gunnison Grand Junction Any great ideas
>between those places in CO

I'm afraid that there aren't many loops out here of that distance. If you will settle for some "out
and back" rides there are plenty. Riding from Gunnison up to Almont or even Crested Butte and back
would give you some great scenery (and it would be downhill on the way back). From Gunnison out to
the Black Canyon and back would also fill the bill.

There are some nice day rides in the Colorado Springs area. From the springs up into the Air Force
Academy and back is 30-40 miles. Once in the AFA the riding conditions are sort of like a bicycling
theme park. But you will have to have a government issued photo ID to get in. Once at the north end
of the AFA you can catch a paved bicycle paith to the north taking you on up almost to Monument.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]