WANTED: Old Stronglight Crank Puller

Brian Plaugher

Guest
You know what I'm talking about. Sell me your old, outdated,
non-standard crank puller so I can remove some Stronglight cranks.
Brian Plaugher
[email protected]ork, minus the work.

On 5 Oct 2004 15:31:20 -0700, [email protected] (Brian
Plaugher) wrote:

>You know what I'm talking about. Sell me your old, outdated,
>non-standard crank puller so I can remove some Stronglight cranks.
>Brian Plaugher
>[email protected], minus the work.

Dear Brian,

I take it that you want the $49.95 puller for 1982 and older
Stronglight cranks, not the modern $14.95 model?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/bottombracket.html

"14.95 Crank puller and 14 mm socket wrench for modern 22
mm thread cranks."

"$49.95 J.A. Stein Crank puller for old 23.15 mm thread
Stronglight cranks. (1982 and earlier.) This is the only
tool currently available to fit these older cranks. Handmade
in U.S.A."

If so, I hope that this prevents you from being deluged by
offers of useless modern stuff.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> You know what I'm talking about. Sell me your old, outdated,
> non-standard crank puller so I can remove some Stronglight cranks.
> Brian Plaugher

Where are you geographically? I don't have a puller for sale, but if
you're in the Seattle/Tacoma area, I have one you could borrow. I
imagine there are other owners of obsolete French parts elsewhere who
would also have the tool available to borrow. Who knows, they might even
have some other old French-threaded parts you need...

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Current standard = 22 mm

Old standards
23 mm (some TA)
23.15 (stronglight0
23.5 (very special TA's)

I decided to bite the turkey and good cold bullet and got a stein
puller ($50) and the VAR #393 shop-wrench puller (23 mm AND 22 mm)
which is a bargain at $25.95, both from harris cyclery:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/bottombracket.html

I have two stronglight 93 cranks, both were cheap, plus lots of cheap
rings (as low as $3 a ring), and a TA professional crankset, and this
is the price to pay for using vintage componentry and keeping it in
good working order. Be thankful that J. A. Stein is still making
these things, and get yours today.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

[email protected] (Brian Plaugher) writes:

>You know what I'm talking about. Sell me your old, outdated,
>non-standard crank puller so I can remove some Stronglight cranks.

Current standard = 22 mm

Old standards
23 mm (some TA)
23.15 (stronglight0
23.5 (very special TA's)

I decided to bite the turkey and go cold bullet and got a stein
puller ($50) and the VAR #393 shop-wrench puller (23 mm AND 22 mm)
which is a bargain at $25.95, both from harris cyclery:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/bottombracket.html

I have two stronglight 93 cranks, both were cheap, plus lots of cheap
rings (as low as $3 a ring), and a TA professional crankset, and this
is the price you might pay for using vintage componentry and keeping
it in good working order. The real stronglight puller product is
enormous and uses a "Tommy bar" which imho you don't want to lug
around, not even in your toolbox. See the completed auctions from
hilarystone on ebay for pictures if you don't believe me.

Be thankful that J. A. Stein is making a product that is superior to
the original stronglight product. get yours today, patronize harris
cyclery.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You know what I'm talking about. Sell me your old, outdated,
> non-standard crank puller so I can remove some Stronglight

cranks.
> Brian Plaugher
> [email protected]ork, minus the work.

Which model crank. I have a puller that I would sell that I used
on a '69 or '70 model 93. I have a sentimental attachment to the
puller, so expect to pay dearly ($10 including shipping?). -- Jay
Beattie.