Wanted: quill stem

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, May 28, 2003.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    We've just got hold of a new (to us) bike for Anne (my wife). A Raleigh topaz of indeterminate age,
    but with stuff like Maillard hubs and a climb the wall bottom gear.

    One problem - the stem has too great a reach. Easy I thought, just pop down the LBS and get a new
    one. All the LBS could do a range of threadless stems but very little in the way of quill stems, and
    those they had had the same reach as the one fitted.

    So, has anyone got in their box of bits a 1 inch quill stem (22.2mm) with zero or very little reach?

    Tim
    --
    I understand very little of what's being discussed but for some reason it's fascinating.

    (Jon Thompson, urs)

    Tags:

  2. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    Tim Hall [email protected] said:

    >So, has anyone got in their box of bits a 1 inch quill stem (22.2mm) with zero or very
    >little reach?

    No, but I bought a couple some time ago from Bikefix in London. 020 7405 1218, www.bikefix.co.uk: if
    no-one else can help, I'm sure they'd be happy to.

    Can't remember the manufacturer, and they weren't especially well finished, but they were about 1"
    reach. Very long quill though: I had to cut one down to fit the headtube on a 19" frame.

    John

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    If you're anywhere near Southampton, The Halfords in Hedge End has on in its bargain bucket.

    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We've just got hold of a new (to us) bike for Anne (my wife). A Raleigh topaz of indeterminate
    > age, but with stuff like Maillard hubs and a climb the wall bottom gear.
    >
    > One problem - the stem has too great a reach. Easy I thought, just pop down the LBS and get a new
    > one. All the LBS could do a range of threadless stems but very little in the way of quill stems,
    > and those they had had the same reach as the one fitted.
    >
    > So, has anyone got in their box of bits a 1 inch quill stem (22.2mm) with zero or very
    > little reach?
    >

    > Tim
    > --
    > I understand very little of what's being discussed but for some reason it's fascinating.
    >
    > (Jon Thompson, urs)

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > If you're anywhere near Southampton, The Halfords in Hedge End has on in its bargain bucket.

    I noticed one of those in my local Halfords as well, labelled "Touring Stem", but it's the crudest
    stem I've ever seen - heavy steel, sharp edges, hex nuts instead of allen key sockets that would
    round off easily.

    Better options would be one of the stumpies from http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

    .....or Kalloy adjustable from : http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop (£12 post free)

    note. Need to make sure bar-clamp diameter is appropriate.

    ~PB

  5. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 02:58:46 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Simon wrote:
    >> If you're anywhere near Southampton, The Halfords in Hedge End has on in its bargain bucket.
    >
    >I noticed one of those in my local Halfords as well, labelled "Touring Stem", but it's the crudest
    >stem I've ever seen - heavy steel, sharp edges, hex nuts instead of allen key sockets that would
    >round off easily.
    >
    >Better options would be one of the stumpies from http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
    >
    >.....or Kalloy adjustable from : http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop (£12 post free)
    >
    >note. Need to make sure bar-clamp diameter is appropriate.

    Thanks for all these suggestions. Found a suitable stem at my LBS for 8 notes.

    Tim
    --
    I understand very little of what's being discussed but for some reason it's fascinating.

    (Jon Thompson, urs)

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest