WANTED: Shimano Sante headset/170 cranks &...

CJ Smith

Sep 11, 2006
This is CJ from Palm Harbor, FL. I am a newbie here that is really enjoying the site so far.

I'm a merchant mariner by trade by a pro cyclist in my mind like so many of us out here, LOL! I have to get Phil, Bob, Al & Paul to stop announcing my name as I ride, especially since I am the only one that can hear it!

39 y.o., male on the verge of 40 in December (yep now you have to send me a card dang-nabbit!). New Jersey by birth, Floridian by Lat./Lon. Wannabe personal trainer. Lover of hiking: Completer of 37 of the 50 state high points & all of the Catskill 3500 Club requirements. I dig National Parks, sunsets, friendly animals and a decent cup of peppermint tea. I am free of caffiene, chocolate, alcohol, drugs & red meat.

On the serious side (which I seldom am), I am also enjoying a rebuild project. My current one is a 1989 Kestrel 4000 (Gray Graphics). My restoration goal is to have the completed bike EXACTLY as it was when it rolled out of B&L BIke & Sport in Kailua Kona Hawaii on May 9, 1989.

HELP!!! I am struggling to find several items.
170 mm Shimano Sante Cranks
1" Shimano Sante Headset
1 Mavic Open 4 CD rim - 36 hole
Hoshi Spokes (I have been told that the length I need is 280mm)

The pedals: What was originally on the bike was a pair of LOOK pedals, but I need help here with the model # or name. They were white with a red "hinge (White lettering on the hinge)" & plastic end cap... Oh! I think they were called P166. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

:eek: ALL Items sought need to be MINT (or very near MINT), N.O.S. :eek:

Well that should tell you what type of person I am, but why would I want to build this bike?

It was built by B&L Bike & Sport owner & Ironman Bike Director and good friend, Nick Rott. Nick was killed while on a training ride on the Big Island of Hawaii in August of 1994, unfortunately I didn't find out until November because I had moved back to the east coast. Needless to say I was devistated. When I found out about his death I immediately retired my Kestrel 4000 bike. There isn't a day that goes by that somehow I don't think about him or use something that he sold me. From Bike Cases to Wheel Safes to nearly ALL of my shop tools to just seeing my medals and trophies. Nick sold me my first Kestrel and since then I have owned two more. Even some of my back up bikes were from his shop.

Now, I am rebuilding that Kestrel 4000... Actually for the past 8 years I have been rebuilding it. Thanks to Ebay and Vecchio's Bicicletteria of Boulder, CO things have really begun to take shape. Perhaps someone out there could help me out a bit more. I have a complete parts list (with both what I have and what I need) that I can send out if interested. Let me know. Be Safe! -

Thanks for taking the time to read my posting.
CJ :cool:

March 15, 2007

CJ Here...

I have attained all the tough to find New Old Stock parts (Sante 170 Cranks, Hoshi Spokes, Mavic Open 4CD Rims, Selle Italia Turbo Steel Rails in White...), but I still need the Shimano Sante headset.

There has to be a collector out there that has one that hasn't been used and the collector knows it probably be won't be used. Come on and contact me.

If you want to get technical, I could probably reuse my old headset, I have had it looked at by a local shop and they said it is still in excellent shape. The only problem with it is the part with the "Sante" logo in it is no longer a circular ring, it was broken (don't ask, because I have no idea how that could happen) and is now a "C" shape. I would be willing to purchase just that part as long as it is in good shape (heck anything is better than what I have now). WACKY NOTE: I did buy one (just the "Trim Ring") off ebay a few months ago for about $14.00 (U.S. $) [+ shipping], but it never showed up and I was refunded. Two things I have to say about that whole incident. If it was a seller just seeing if he could scam me then shame on him/her... If the seller thinks I am just a nut that collects Shimano Sante "Trim Rings" shame on him/her again (LOL!)! Truth is... once I attain a part I stop looking for it and my posts here reflect that I have been successful (yeah, I brag, lol, plus it just feels great to get something you have been looking for).

Well, after nine plus years (ten this summer), my rebuild project is finally feeling like it is nearing completion.

I still need a few easy to find parts...
Headset bearings, Handlebars (original item was never specified by brand; only that it had to be anatomic), Stem (might have been an a TTT or a Nitto... through photos and talking with Specialized I have been able to eliminate the Specialized stem I found - It came on my Allez Epic Carbon [alum. lug]), bar tape in White (it wasn't cork), cables & housing and lastly a carbon fork...

All the above mentioned are items that I can walk into any bike shop (or log onto Ebay for about a week) and nab. So no worries there...

If you are a regular here on the forum, you may have already read my posts on my tribute Kestrel 4000 rebuild project. It is easy enough to search and has a great story attached to it. It's not quite "Brian's Song" or "Something For Joey"... But it is truly from the heart... Read it, you'll see... (KEYWORDS: "Kestrel 4000 Rebuild")

In closing I will state that I really would like some help with locating a Shimano Sante 1" headset.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Thanks,
CJ
Oldsmar, FL