wanted: spare lungs.

> Hackshirley, I 'tickled' it - we'd just been reading a novel at school, about a man and his son,
> where the father (owner of a petrol station, and part-time poacher) is showing the son how to
> tickle trout. I saw the
trout,
> and gave it a go - worked like a charm, first time ',;~}
>
> Shaun aRe

I'll be darned. Never heard of such a thing.

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:

>>Hackshirley, I 'tickled' it - we'd just been reading a novel at school, about a man and his son,
>>where the father (owner of a petrol station, and part-time poacher) is showing the son how to
>>tickle trout. I saw the
>
> trout,
>
>>and gave it a go - worked like a charm, first time ',;~}
>
> I'll be darned. Never heard of such a thing.

I read that book (was it Roald Dahl - Danny the Champion of the World?) and it was a great story.
And it was just that, a story. I'm thinking the Shaun version smells of mucho BS.

> Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > It was a derogatory slang for Americans, that I first heard used by a Canadian.
> > >

> > I figured it would be something like dat...
>
> You say that after the fact.

Just deal with it.

> > > No, but feigned ignorance makes effective bait.
> > >

> > You've never fished for trout, have you? (The long rod excluded)
>
> I caught my first trout (3 1/2 lb) when I was 9, using one hand, and no tools. And you?

Pulled that off once, with a Chum. But I didn't 'tickle' him, just casually slipped my hand into the
water and grabbed him in front of the tail.

--
Cameron

Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Just deal with it.

I 'just' did ',;~}

> > I caught my first trout (3 1/2 lb) when I was 9, using one hand, and no tools. And you?
>
> Pulled that off once, with a Chum. But I didn't 'tickle' him, just
casually
> slipped my hand into the water and grabbed him in front of the tail.

LOLROTF! FFS I hope your bathtime chum didn't mind being grabbed in front of the tail and getting
pulled off!

Heheheheheheh, oh my god, that laughter nearly finished me for the day, sheeeeeit man...... ',;~}

Shaun aRe - That's gotta be up there as one of the best feed lines I ever seen, heheheheh.......

> Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> > Just deal with it.
>
> I 'just' did ',;~}

Didn't notice.

> > > I caught my first trout (3 1/2 lb) when I was 9, using one hand, and
no
> > > tools. And you?
> >
> > Pulled that off once, with a Chum. But I didn't 'tickle' him, just
> casually
> > slipped my hand into the water and grabbed him in front of the tail.
>
> LOLROTF! FFS I hope your bathtime chum didn't mind being grabbed in front
of
> the tail and getting pulled off!
>
> Heheheheheheh, oh my god, that laughter nearly finished me for the day, sheeeeeit man...... ',;~}

Chum salmon, dummy. Nice way to misinterpret my words, though.

--
Cameron

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Hackshirley, I 'tickled' it - we'd just been reading a novel at school, about a man and his son,
> > where the father (owner of a petrol station,
and
> > part-time poacher) is showing the son how to tickle trout. I saw the
> trout,
> > and gave it a go - worked like a charm, first time ',;~}
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> I'll be darned. Never heard of such a thing.

When trout bask, they are usually near the edge of the water, and only a few inches below. If you
ease your hand into the water, palm up, underneath them, they tend not to notice. You then stoke
thier bellies, front to back, slowly and very gently. This sorta shuts them down, trances them out,
and they gradually roll onto their sides. At this point, you throw them onto the banking and beat
the life out of 'em. Poachers have been doing this since before history.

Shaun aRe - HTH ',;~}

Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Just deal with it.
> >
> > I 'just' did ',;~}
>
> Didn't notice.

> no
> > >
> > > Pulled that off once, with a Chum. But I didn't 'tickle' him, just
> > casually
> > > slipped my hand into the water and grabbed him in front of the tail.
> >
> > LOLROTF! FFS I hope your bathtime chum didn't mind being grabbed in
front
> of
> > the tail and getting pulled off!
> >
> > Heheheheheheh, oh my god, that laughter nearly finished me for the day, sheeeeeit
> > man...... ',;~}
>
> Chum salmon, dummy.

Heheheheh - I knew what you meant.

> Nice way to misinterpret my words, though.

Cheers - fookane irrisistable, that one was ',;~}

Shaun aRe

Jonathan Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Michael Dart wrote:
>
> >>Hackshirley, I 'tickled' it - we'd just been reading a novel at school, about a man and his son,
> >>where the father (owner of a petrol station,
and
> >>part-time poacher) is showing the son how to tickle trout. I saw the
> >
> > trout,
> >
> >>and gave it a go - worked like a charm, first time ',;~}
> >
> > I'll be darned. Never heard of such a thing.
>
> I read that book (was it Roald Dahl - Danny the Champion of the World?) and it was a great story.

That's the one! Excellent book indeed.

> And it was just that, a story. I'm thinking the Shaun version smells of mucho BS.

You are _dead wrong JH. Trout tickling, is an 'actual factual' working practice. Check into it if
you so desire.

Shaun aRe

> Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Hackshirley, I 'tickled' it - we'd just been reading a novel at
school,
> > > about a man and his son, where the father (owner of a petrol station,
> and
> > > part-time poacher) is showing the son how to tickle trout. I saw the
> > trout,
> > > and gave it a go - worked like a charm, first time ',;~}
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe
> > >

> > I'll be darned. Never heard of such a thing.
>
> When trout bask, they are usually near the edge of the water, and only a
few
> inches below. If you ease your hand into the water, palm up, underneath them, they tend not to
> notice. You then stoke thier bellies, front to
back,
> slowly and very gently. This sorta shuts them down, trances them out, and they gradually roll onto
> their sides. At this point, you throw them onto
the
> banking and beat the life out of 'em. Poachers have been doing this since before history.

There is another method decribed by the late Sheridan Anderson in his book, "Curtis Creek
Manifesto".

--
Cameron

Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > When trout bask, they are usually near the edge of the water, and only a
> few
> > inches below. If you ease your hand into the water, palm up, underneath them, they tend not to
> > notice. You then stoke thier bellies, front to
> back,
> > slowly and very gently. This sorta shuts them down, trances them out,
and
> > they gradually roll onto their sides. At this point, you throw them onto
> the
> > banking and beat the life out of 'em. Poachers have been doing this
since
> > before history.
> >

> There is another method decribed by the late Sheridan Anderson in his
book,
> "Curtis Creek Manifesto".

Which is?

Shaun aRe

> Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > > When trout bask, they are usually near the edge of the water, and only
> > few
> > > inches below. If you ease your hand into the water, palm up,
underneath
> > > them, they tend not to notice. You then stoke thier bellies, front to
> > back,
> > > slowly and very gently. This sorta shuts them down, trances them out,
> and
> > > they gradually roll onto their sides. At this point, you throw them
onto
> > the
> > > banking and beat the life out of 'em. Poachers have been doing this
> since
> > > before history.
> > >

> > There is another method decribed by the late Sheridan Anderson in his
> book,
> > "Curtis Creek Manifesto".

Ayla does it in all the Clan of the Cave Bear books too.

penny

> Cameron <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > > When trout bask, they are usually near the edge of the water, and only
> > few
> > > inches below. If you ease your hand into the water, palm up,
underneath
> > > them, they tend not to notice. You then stoke thier bellies, front to
> > back,
> > > slowly and very gently. This sorta shuts them down, trances them out,
> and
> > > they gradually roll onto their sides. At this point, you throw them
onto
> > the
> > > banking and beat the life out of 'em. Poachers have been doing this
> since
> > > before history.
> > >

> > There is another method decribed by the late Sheridan Anderson in his
> book,
> > "Curtis Creek Manifesto".
>
> Which is?

Err, it had something to do with cooling your hands in the water, then slowly moving them from
behind, bring them along both sides of the fishy, and gently grab the little darlin'. Works best if
the fishy is in a lie that blocks it's upward view. Or something like that.

--
Cameron