Wanted: Tandem rear wheel or hub

Tom Jackson

Guest
I need a rear wheel or a rear hub for a tandem. OLN is 140mm (Dawes Galaxy, 97 vintage)

I'd prefer an 8 speed hub, shimano compatible, on a 40 hole rim but would consider other options in
a 140 width.

Please drop me an email or post a reply if you've got anything suitable for sale.

thanks,

tom.

"Tom Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I need a rear wheel or a rear hub for a tandem. OLN is 140mm (Dawes
Galaxy,
> 97 vintage)
>
> I'd prefer an 8 speed hub, shimano compatible, on a 40 hole rim but would consider other options
> in a 140 width.

It's a steel frame, so spreading it to 145 and using the standard shimano XT tandem hub would be
my choice.

cheers, clive

> "Tom Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I need a rear wheel or a rear hub for a tandem. OLN is 140mm (Dawes
> Galaxy,
> > 97 vintage)
> >
> > I'd prefer an 8 speed hub, shimano compatible, on a 40 hole rim but would consider other options
> > in a 140 width.
>
> It's a steel frame, so spreading it to 145 and using the standard shimano XT tandem hub would be
> my choice.

Respacing the XT hub to 140mm would also work fine.

James

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Tom Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I need a rear wheel or a rear hub for a tandem. OLN is 140mm (Dawes
> > Galaxy,
> > > 97 vintage)
> > >
> > > I'd prefer an 8 speed hub, shimano compatible, on a 40 hole rim but
would
> > > consider other options in a 140 width.
> >
> > It's a steel frame, so spreading it to 145 and using the standard
shimano XT
> > tandem hub would be my choice.
>
> Respacing the XT hub to 140mm would also work fine.

How much space is there on one of these hubs? If you lose 5mm from the non-drive side, will there
still be room for an arai? (which I guess the OP has, since the galaxy had one).

cheers, clive

> How much space is there on one of these hubs? If you lose 5mm from the non-drive side, will there
> still be room for an arai? (which I guess the OP has, since the galaxy had one).

I know it is sometimes asserted on T@H that it is not possible, but I have an arai on my 140mm
cannondale + XT hub, no special modification necessary. There's not a whole lot of extra space,
but enough. Of course that doesn't guarantee it will fit on a galaxy, but I personally would
expect it to.

James

[email protected] schreef ...
> I need a rear wheel or a rear hub for a tandem. OLN is 140mm (Dawes Galaxy, 97 vintage)
>
> I'd prefer an 8 speed hub, shimano compatible, on a 40 hole rim but would consider other options
> in a 140 width.
>
> Please drop me an email or post a reply if you've got anything suitable for sale.
>
> thanks,
>
> tom.

Should you want the last hub you'll ever buy, go for a Chris King. A tad pricey but undestructible
(www.chrisking.com). Otherwise, go for a Shimano (LX or XT tandem).

--
Mvg, Marten

Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Should you want the last hub you'll ever buy, go for a Chris King. A tad pricey but undestructible
> (www.chrisking.com).

And far enough away on a tandem (if you're the captain) to not annoy too much with its " bag of
angry bees" buzzing sound.

If you want the best tandem hub Phil Wood is the job.

Tony

> Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Should you want the last hub you'll ever buy, go for a Chris King. A tad pricey but
> > undestructible (www.chrisking.com).
>
> And far enough away on a tandem (if you're the captain) to not annoy too much with its " bag of
> angry bees" buzzing sound.
>
> If you want the best tandem hub Phil Wood is the job.

Well, apparently the CK is better for at least some things, eg PW doesn't have decent seals
(deliberately).

cheers, clive

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Should you want the last hub you'll ever buy, go for a Chris King. A tad pricey but
> > > undestructible (www.chrisking.com).
> >
> > And far enough away on a tandem (if you're the captain) to not annoy too much with its " bag of
> > angry bees" buzzing sound.
> >
> > If you want the best tandem hub Phil Wood is the job.
>
> Well, apparently the CK is better for at least some things, ...

At least for our off-roading. We destroyed a Hügi and then twice snapped a WTB New Paradigm. I must
say however that WTB openly doubted the ability of their tandem hub to withstand off-roading and
they rebuilt the hub twice for free. Now it's in our touring rear wheel, the CK is in the
off-road/loaded touring wheel.

> ... eg PW doesn't have decent seals (deliberately).

Sensible chaps. The main reason we bought the CK several years ago is that CK answered our e-mail
promptly and PW took a long time ;-) Otherwise it might just as well have been a PW.

--
Mvg, Marten