Wanted: Tips for time trialist

Undercover Elep

Guest
Hi

As the start of the time trialling season is upon us, I thought it might be a good idea to take it
more seriously this year.

Main quiery is training (for 10 milers). How much and what sort of training produces the best
results? (in general, I know everyone's different).

Also, what is the best stuff to eat and does anyone use any kind of supliments?

Sorry about all the questions, please forgive the novice!

Max

This will be interestin...........

would ppl who give advice add there own little facts

times for

10 25 50 100

what districts and courses

as for me

10..21.30
11..52.08
12..1.54.08
13...ohhhhhhhhhhh no ............. all on 'A' courses..Central district

trainin wise.. I have always riddedn hard with the lads throughout winter for the ' base ' ...
trained 20 hard miles twice weekly , rode evenin 10's on trainin bike... turbo train and have beer
and curry on a sunday evenin.....

"Undercover Elephant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> As the start of the time trialling season is upon us, I thought it might
be
> a good idea to take it more seriously this year.
>
> Main quiery is training (for 10 milers). How much and what sort of
training
> produces the best results? (in general, I know everyone's different).
>
> Also, what is the best stuff to eat and does anyone use any kind of supliments?
>
> Sorry about all the questions, please forgive the novice!
>
> Max

"Undercover Elephant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> As the start of the time trialling season is upon us, I thought it might
be
> a good idea to take it more seriously this year.
>
> Main quiery is training (for 10 milers). How much and what sort of
training
> produces the best results? (in general, I know everyone's different).
>
> Also, what is the best stuff to eat and does anyone use any kind of supliments?
>
> Sorry about all the questions, please forgive the novice!
>
> Max

I found cycling fast helpful. :)

Seriously, my last test was in 1993 so I may be a bit out of date. I always found that my times
would be best if I did a hard interval session (on the turbo) two days before an event and resting
the day before.

I used to hum "right to party" by the Beastie Boys in my head during an event. It helped me
maintain cadence.

Roll over hills in the saddle, don't change down unless you really have to. If you change down or
honk then you'll slow down and upset your rhythm (IMHO).

Get low but keep your head up.

Warm up properly and arrive at the start as late as you can (but be careful - I got loads of late
starts by getting my timing wrong).

Don't go beserk at the start. The pressure is on to look great in front of everyone else when
you start but you'll only punish yourself. Start reasonably fast but build up to your racing
speed sensibly.

Training - fast, quality miles. If you're only doing 10s and 25s then you don't need loads of miles,
just quality.

Get rid of your speedometer and use a HRM. Know your maximum HR and your ideal racing HR and use
that during the race. You're brain will tell you to slow down but you'll have plenty in your legs
and heart - the HRM will tell you this.

Give up beer. If you don't you'll go slower.

Eat pasta.

Pinch yourself just before the start to give yourself that little extra adrenaline boost.

Wear clean socks - I got told off once for wearing filthy socks. I also got told off for swearing by
the starter when I pulled my foot out of the straps (yes, that long ago!).

Pump your tyres up hard. Use tubs if you can, they're still hard to beat.

In a brief moment of lucidity Undercover Elephant scribbled:

> Hi
>
> As the start of the time trialling season is upon us, I thought it might be a good idea to take it
> more seriously this year.
>
> Main quiery is training (for 10 milers). How much and what sort of training produces the best
> results? (in general, I know everyone's different).
>
> Also, what is the best stuff to eat and does anyone use any kind of supliments?
>
> Sorry about all the questions, please forgive the novice!
>
> Max

Been a long time, but I used to do around 21 mins for a 10 miler and around 50 (ish) for a
25 miler ..

Ate normally, but at very regular times. Nothing excessive, no beer binges, decent carbo loads,
potatoes, pasta etc. Probably most important training for me was to rest the day before an event ..
I'd do at least a 10 mile steady ride every night with an occasional 100 every weekend. Once,
sometimes twice, a week do a heavy training session with interval training, hill-climbing, power
runs, speed runs, intermingled, but never done to exhaustion .. ;)

Occasionally I'd swap training totally, and play hockey locally so also do circuit training with the
team. Similarly I also did some swimming ocasionally to build up overall fitness .. ;)

--

Completed 1571 Seti work units in 11921 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

>Been a long time, but I used to do around 21 mins for a 10 miler and around 50 (ish) for a
>25 miler ..

If it's been a long time and you did 50 mins for a 25 you must have been one of the top testers -
who are you?

Stephen

"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Undercover Elephant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi
> >
> > As the start of the time trialling season is upon us, I thought it might
> be
> > a good idea to take it more seriously this year.
> >
> > Main quiery is training (for 10 milers). How much and what sort of
> training
> > produces the best results? (in general, I know everyone's different).
> >
> > Also, what is the best stuff to eat and does anyone use any kind of supliments?
> >
> > Sorry about all the questions, please forgive the novice!
> >
> > Max
>
> I found cycling fast helpful. :)
>
> Seriously, my last test was in 1993 so I may be a bit out of date. I
always
> found that my times would be best if I did a hard interval session (on the turbo) two days before
> an event and resting the day before.
>
> I used to hum "right to party" by the Beastie Boys in my head during an event. It helped me
> maintain cadence.
>
> Roll over hills in the saddle, don't change down unless you really have
to.
> If you change down or honk then you'll slow down and upset your rhythm (IMHO).
>
> Get low but keep your head up.
>
> Warm up properly and arrive at the start as late as you can (but be careful - I got loads of late
> starts by getting my timing wrong).
>
> Don't go beserk at the start. The pressure is on to look great in front
of
> everyone else when you start but you'll only punish yourself. Start reasonably fast but build up
> to your racing speed sensibly.
>
> Training - fast, quality miles. If you're only doing 10s and 25s then you don't need loads of
> miles, just quality.
>
> Get rid of your speedometer and use a HRM. Know your maximum HR and your ideal racing HR and use
> that during the race. You're brain will tell you
> slow down but you'll have plenty in your legs and heart - the HRM will
tell
> you this.
>
> Give up beer. If you don't you'll go slower.
>
> Eat pasta.
>
> Pinch yourself just before the start to give yourself that little extra adrenaline boost.
>
> Wear clean socks - I got told off once for wearing filthy socks. I also
got
> told off for swearing by the starter when I pulled my foot out of the
straps
> (yes, that long ago!).
>
> Pump your tyres up hard. Use tubs if you can, they're still hard to beat.

Oh my times. Hmmmm, not spectacular - 23 23 for a ten and 1 00 06 for a 25. I was gutted about
not getting under the hour for the 25. I waved at somebody on the course and I'm sure that cost
me the seconds.

>Been a long time, but I used to do around 21 mins for a 10 miler and around 50 (ish) for a
>25 miler ..

You must have been one of the top testers then.

Stephen

In a brief moment of lucidity Steve McGinty scribbled:

>> Been a long time, but I used to do around 21 mins for a 10 miler and around 50 (ish) for a 25
>> miler ..
>>
> You must have been one of the top testers then.
>

> Stephen

Can't find my scrapbook , I used to have a few pics in the press occasionally. I was sponsored
(Halfords) for a few years so was pretty reasonable. Can't remember the exact times I used to do ..
probably 21 / 22 and I think 52 / 53 something. I wouldn't have any idea what they are like now for
times .. I haven't ridden a 'proper' roadrace bike for maybe 18 years or so .. ;)

--

Completed 1571 Seti work units in 11921 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

> I used to hum "right to party" by the Beastie Boys in my head during an event. It helped me
> maintain cadence.

Brilliant advice (and a great track). Never cycled in a competitive manner, but have played alot of
rugby with "skater punk" music going through my head. Odd combination, but seemed to work for me.

> Give up beer. If you don't you'll go slower.

What ?? Is that some kind of joke. Ohhhh, you mean drink scotch instead. Fair enough.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>In a brief moment of lucidity Steve McGinty scribbled:
>
>>> Been a long time, but I used to do around 21 mins for a 10 miler and around 50 (ish) for a 25
>>> miler ..
>>>
>> You must have been one of the top testers then.
>>

>> Stephen
>
>Can't find my scrapbook , I used to have a few pics in the press occasionally. I was sponsored
>(Halfords) for a few years so was pretty reasonable. Can't remember the exact times I used to do ..
>probably 21 / 22 and I think 52 / 53 something. I wouldn't have any idea what they are like now for
>times .. I haven't ridden a 'proper' roadrace bike for maybe 18 years or so .. ;)

Stephen

In a brief moment of lucidity Steve McGinty scribbled:

> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In a brief moment of lucidity Steve McGinty scribbled:

>>> You must have been one of the top testers then.
>>>

>>> Stephen
>>
>> Can't find my scrapbook , I used to have a few pics in the press occasionally. I was sponsored
>> (Halfords) for a few years so was pretty reasonable. Can't remember the exact times I used to do
>> .. probably 21 / 22 and I think 52 / 53 something. I wouldn't have any idea what they are like
>> now for times .. I haven't ridden a 'proper' roadrace bike for maybe 18 years or so .. ;)
>

> Stephen

Nope, sorry .. ;)

--

Completed 1575 Seti work units in 11949 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:45:42 GMT, Undercover Elephant <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi
>
>As the start of the time trialling season is upon us, I thought it might be a good idea to take it
>more seriously this year.
>
>Main quiery is training (for 10 milers). How much and what sort of training produces the best
>results? (in general, I know everyone's different).
>
>Also, what is the best stuff to eat and does anyone use any kind of supliments?
>
>Sorry about all the questions, please forgive the novice!
>
>Max

This is my first year of time trialling as well. I did my first open 10 last weekend (29:12). I
think I have left it a bit late to be able to get down as low as 22 mins. My vets standard time is
26:06(43 yrs old) so I have some to make up. I have Joe Friels book "The Cyclist's Training Bible".
It's very good covering food, fitness, recovery, just in more detail than the help already gibven on
this thread. It divides the whole year up and helps to get the correct sort of training at the right
time of year.

ISBN 0 7136 5084 2

news:[email protected]...
> In a brief moment of lucidity Steve McGinty scribbled:
>

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> In a brief moment of lucidity Steve McGinty scribbled:

> >> Can't find my scrapbook , I used to have a few pics in the press occasionally. I was sponsored
> >> (Halfords) for a few years so was pretty reasonable. Can't remember the exact times I used to
> >> do .. probably 21 / 22 and I think 52 / 53 something. I wouldn't have any idea what they are
> >> like now for times .. I haven't ridden a 'proper' roadrace bike for maybe 18 years or so .. ;)
> >

> > Stephen
>
> Nope, sorry .. ;)
>
> --

> Completed 1575 Seti work units in 11949 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Daryl Webster?

In a brief moment of lucidity Smudger scribbled:

> news:[email protected]...

>>> Stephen
>>
>> Nope, sorry .. ;)
>>

> Daryl Webster?

Nope.

Does it matter ? Are those times still good then ? I know they were respectable when I used to
do them ..

--

Completed 1575 Seti work units in 11949 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

"Alan Oakley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This is my first year of time trialling as well. I did my first open 10 last weekend (29:12). I
> think I have left it a bit late to be able to get down as low as 22 mins.

Was that on the Flat? For fun I tired a timed 10 mile last year while on holiday in a flat part
of France, aiming at 30 minutes I was surprised how easy it was, just kept the speedo at a
steady 20 mph.

On my normal 20km ride I have to virtually kill my self to get an average speed of 17mph and
normally only manage 15mph, but it is hilly.

news:[email protected]...
> In a brief moment of lucidity Smudger scribbled:
>

> > news:[email protected]...
> >> In a brief moment of lucidity Steve McGinty scribbled:

> >> Nope, sorry .. ;)
> >>

> > Daryl Webster?
>
> Nope.
>
> Does it matter ? Are those times still good then ? I know they were respectable when I used to
> do them ..
>

> --

> Completed 1575 Seti work units in 11949 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

A 21 for a ten is pretty good and a 50 for a 25 is up there with the best still.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Alan Oakley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > This is my first year of time trialling as well. I did my first open 10 last weekend (29:12). I
> > think I have left it a bit late to be able to get down as low as 22 mins.
>
> Was that on the Flat? For fun I tired a timed 10 mile last year while on holiday in a flat part
> of France, aiming at 30 minutes I was surprised how easy it was, just kept the speedo at a
> steady 20 mph.
>
> On my normal 20km ride I have to virtually kill my self to get an average speed of 17mph and
> normally only manage 15mph, but it is hilly.

You would have done a much better time if you hadn't used your speedo!

"Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> You would have done a much better time if you hadn't used your speedo!

I'm pretty sure I could go faster than 30 maybe even 26 or 27 minutes, but I like the speedo if I
don't have it I tend to go to fast at the beginning and burn out.

Why do you think it is better without?

In a brief moment of lucidity Smudger scribbled:

> news:[email protected]...

>> Does it matter ? Are those times still good then ? I know they were respectable when I used to do
>> them ..
>>

> A 21 for a ten is pretty good and a 50 for a 25 is up there with the best still.

Heheheh, cool .. ;) I think the 50 was a 52 something, maybe 52.10 .. can't remember and don't have
anything to 'prove' it. Numerous house moves and changes of priority over the years .. My main hobby
now being Radio Control Car racing .. ;)

--

Completed 1575 Seti work units in 11949 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > You would have done a much better time if you hadn't used your speedo!
> >
> I'm pretty sure I could go faster than 30 maybe even 26 or 27 minutes, but
> like the speedo if I don't have it I tend to go to fast at the beginning
and
> burn out.
>
> Why do you think it is better without?

Because your brain will tell you to slow down before your body needs too. If you set a limit for
yourself using your speedo then you will only work up to that speed. Using an HRM you can manage
your effort to a level that you know you can maintain, which will be more than you realise, and keep
that level up. Your brain will complain and tell you to slow down but the HRM won't lie so you'll be
able to push harder. It's true, it works.