Wanted - titanium shim for slightly ovalized headtube

Anyone know where I can get a small 7 inch strip of titanium, w/ a
width of 3/16" , and .05mm thickness, to help solve an ovalized
headset problem?

TI frame, so I'm hoping for a ti shim.

[email protected] wrote:

> Anyone know where I can get a small 7 inch strip of titanium, w/ a
> width of 3/16" , and .05mm thickness, to help solve an ovalized
> headset problem?
>
> TI frame, so I'm hoping for a ti shim.

Are you fitting a Ti headset? If so, are you sure you are in
possession of the appropriate Ti ball bearings?

Before you proceed, consider that a carbon fiber shim is lighter,
faster, and smoother-riding.

Chalo

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get a small 7 inch strip of titanium, w/ a
> width of 3/16" , and .05mm thickness, to help solve an ovalized
> headset problem?
>
> TI frame, so I'm hoping for a ti shim.

Ovalized headtube? No shim is going to be a long term fix..only getting
a new headtube BUT how on earth did a ti headtube get ovalized? Or did
it come like that?

On 20 Dec 2006 00:28:17 -0800, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Anyone know where I can get a small 7 inch strip of titanium, w/ a
>width of 3/16" , and .05mm thickness, to help solve an ovalized
>headset problem?
>
>TI frame, so I'm hoping for a ti shim.

By any chance, is this a head tube with a zero-stack headset?

> Anyone know where I can get a small 7 inch strip of titanium, w/ a
> width of 3/16" , and .05mm thickness, to help solve an ovalized
> headset problem?
>
> TI frame, so I'm hoping for a ti shim.

I don't think I've ever seen any metals supplier list Titanium shim
stock.... McMaster-Carr (online) sells small precut pieces of it in
various metals, but not anything in Ti.

I would go with the stainless but tin snips may not cut it well
(stainless can be damn tough stuff). A Dremel-style moto-tool with a
thin cutting wheel will rip right through it easily and pretty cleanly
if your hand is stable.
~

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 04:56:25 -0600, DougC <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Anyone know where I can get a small 7 inch strip of titanium, w/ a
>> width of 3/16" , and .05mm thickness, to help solve an ovalized
>> headset problem?
>>
>> TI frame, so I'm hoping for a ti shim.
>>

>I don't think I've ever seen any metals supplier list Titanium shim
>stock.... McMaster-Carr (online) sells small precut pieces of it in
>various metals, but not anything in Ti.
>
>I would go with the stainless but tin snips may not cut it well
>(stainless can be damn tough stuff). A Dremel-style moto-tool with a
>thin cutting wheel will rip right through it easily and pretty cleanly
>if your hand is stable.
>~

I don't know of a source of Ti shim stock, but you probably
would want something much softer, such as brass, for shimming an
"ovalized", loose fitting cylindrical part.

However, better still:

Loctite #680 Cylindrical Mounting Liquid (Excellent for your type of
problem..fills gaps up to .015" 4000lb shear, yada yada yada etc.)
Uses acetone primer.
http://loctite.com Search for #680 under "Retaining Compounds"

I have used this product on ovalized heads and enlarged suspension
mounting holes with great success.

Also,Devcon makes a Titanium Putty product if you must have a product
with Ti in it.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611574457

Bottom line recomendation for large gaps.. JB Weld from the local ACE
store.
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Any of these products will work better than a hard shim as they tend
to flow into the irregular voids and also provide some bonding action
as well.

Hope this helps..
Let us know how you make out!

Bob F.