Wanted : US Made Hybrid for Under $1000

litespeedguy

Sep 13, 2003
Can anyone recommend a good hybrid bike that's US made and under $1000 ? Cannondale supposedly makes their bikes in the US and they offer a hybrid called the "Bad Boy" for under $1000.

But are their any other makers out there ???

I've always had a rode bike but now want to get into biking on (1) hard sand (2) secondary gravel roads and (3) other surfaces not friendly to rode bikes.

But I don't want a heavy weight knobby tired off-road bike.

On the other hand if anyone knows of a solid foreign maker I'd be interested in knowing - for example, I've heard that Trek has a factory in China that produces bikes under a $1000 and the quality controls are very good.

I just bought the specialized expedition. So far no problem with it comfy ride. i tested it out in the potholes seemed to handle well. The wheels on it are pretty good too. You might want to look into other models from specialized its a good make

litespeedguy said:
Can anyone recommend a good hybrid bike that's US made and under $1000 ? Cannondale supposedly makes their bikes in the US and they offer a hybrid called the "Bad Boy" for under $1000.

I've always had a rode bike but now want to get into biking on (1) hard sand (2) secondary gravel roads and (3) other surfaces not friendly to rode bikes.

On the other hand if anyone knows of a solid foreign maker I'd be interested in knowing - for example, I've heard that Trek has a factory in China that produces bikes under a $1000 and the quality controls are very good.
I've had a Trek 7300 for a few years and highly recommend it. It has a nice stiff frame and the suspension seatpost and fork makes the ride nice and cushy while still being able to go like a bat out of hell.

Also consider the Trek 7300FX or 7500FX. Better than the Multitracks because they do not have the front suspension, the fork has rack mounting points, stronger wheels and better drivetrain. You can have one for under $500. They can be had for $399 and $599 respectively (or less).

wrench said:
I've had a Trek 7300 for a few years and highly recommend it. It has a nice stiff frame and the suspension seatpost and fork makes the ride nice and cushy while still being able to go like a bat out of hell.
I wish I had that kind of coin when I was bike shopping :(

Hybrids? - Yuck! Sorry, but I had to say that. Get a used cyclocross bike instead. Most hybrids are slow and heavy and are a horrible compromise. In fact, most of them are now called comfort bikes and are marketed towards people who are new to biking and are afraid that bikes aren't as comfortable as couches. Cannondale has 2 cyclocross bikes (no idea if they are actually made in the USA). My favorite is the Surly Crosscheck because of its versatility (room for up to 700x45 tires, can use either road or mountain rear hubs, can be made into a single-speed or fixed gear) but it is made in Taiwan. The only drawback to cyclocross bikes is that most them have pretty limited gearing range. The Bianchi Volpe is one exception and is under $1000 but is not made in the USA. The USA requirement is pretty hard to meet for any bike - lots of bikes say "designed in the USA" and other sneaky wording. Some companies (like Yeti mountain bikes for instance) build some bikes in the USA and others overseas. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cannondale and Trek actually make their cheaper bikes elsewhere.

By the way, bikes like the Cannondale Bad Boy and the Scott Sub are often categorized as "urban" bikes.

Who cares if it's made in the US or not? The basic laws of economic teach us that you should buy the best product at the best price to push the market towards the specs. consumers prefer. Unfortunately, the market is often pushed towards the cheapest....not the best at the best price...because casual consumers don't know or care about quality.

All low end Treks are made in either Taiwan or China. I have assembled hundreds of their bikes over the past few years and can tell you the bikes from Taiwan GENERALLY come better built than the stuff coming out of Waterloo.

Urban bikes are a subclass of hybrids. There are many kinds of hybrids and not all are inappropriate for touring. You cited Trek...ok...Trek makes three different lines of "hybrid" bikes....an urban (FX), a pathway bike (Multitrack) and a comfort (Navigator). The FX is an excellent budget touring bike if you don't mind the AL frameset.

The Cannondales are good bikes but not what I would choose for an epic journey to lesser-developed nations. The thinwall AL tubing is problematic under extreme load and stress.

But that's only my opinion based upon experience. The beauty of touring is that there are a thousand ways to "do it the right way".

"It's the rider...not the bike."

Capt'n W

I have the bad boy and it is great!! Took it to Baltimore and Boston and handled like a champ, not one flat, one problem. I adjusted slightly by changing the tires and adding some more fancy toys but still the basic bike. I carry a couple panniers on the back and it can go forever!!

I would take it anywhere for a tour!! The hybrid has a bad rep for some but if you want comfort, it is the way to go. When I ride for 10 hours a day, I want comfort...you may not be in the 20 mile per hour club but 15 is ok by me when carrying an extra 20lbs or so...

Never had a spill in terrible conditions, ride it here in NYC during the winter!!

-jfs

litespeedguy said: