wanted: Weber seat for trailer

Some old-timers will recognize me. I was a regular here until 3.5 years
ago when my first child (daughter Ellen) was born, and my recreational
computer time went through the floor. I'm still cycling, though more
commuting than anything else.

Anyway, about 1.5 months ago we had another baby, a boy this time
(Luke). When Ellen was 2 months old we strapped a car safety sear into
our Burley Solo trailer and started riding aroud with her. We wanted to
take both kids around by trailer after the new one came. Ellen is very
little for her age (about the size of a typical 2 year old) so we
thought that this would be the best approch for the winter -- keep them
both warm and dry in the trailer. So we got a 2-child trailer, a Burley
D'Lite. But a car safety seat won't fit in there along with Ellen. The
solution seems to be a styrofoam baby-holder made by Weber. We got the
trailer from Kevin of D.Tek, and we thought we'd get the Weber seat
from him, but he has none in stock and the distributers don't have any
either, and they don't know whe they will get some in.

So, does anyone here have one that their baby has outgrown? I'd love to
buy it.

Or does anyone have any alternativr ideas? Remember, the solution has
to be small enough to allow Ellen to sit next to Luke in his seat.

Thanks a bunch!

[email protected] wrote:
> Some old-timers will recognize me. I was a regular here until 3.5 years
> ago when my first child (daughter Ellen) was born, and my recreational
> computer time went through the floor. I'm still cycling, though more
> commuting than anything else.
>
> Anyway, about 1.5 months ago we had another baby, a boy this time
> (Luke). When Ellen was 2 months old we strapped a car safety sear into
> our Burley Solo trailer and started riding aroud with her. We wanted to
> take both kids around by trailer after the new one came. Ellen is very
> little for her age (about the size of a typical 2 year old) so we
> thought that this would be the best approch for the winter -- keep them
> both warm and dry in the trailer. So we got a 2-child trailer, a Burley
> D'Lite. But a car safety seat won't fit in there along with Ellen. The
> solution seems to be a styrofoam baby-holder made by Weber. We got the
> trailer from Kevin of D.Tek, and we thought we'd get the Weber seat
> from him, but he has none in stock and the distributers don't have any
> either, and they don't know whe they will get some in.
>
> So, does anyone here have one that their baby has outgrown? I'd love to
> buy it.
>
> Or does anyone have any alternativr ideas? Remember, the solution has
> to be small enough to allow Ellen to sit next to Luke in his seat.

Hi Myra,
long time no see!

What I did was to find a plastic child seat (one of the old style) that
could be trimmed down to an appropriate size. I basically chopped
everything off except what was needed to support the child. As the
child seat is originally engineered to cope with the demands of a high
speed collision in a car, there is plenty of overengineering that can
safely be dispensed with for a bike trailer. This took about 4-6 inches
off the width (including the carry handle), making it narrow enough to
fit both children (at the time) into my Winther Dolphin.

It did have the advantage that the Dolphin trailer has a solid base so
attatching it was a case of drill and bolt (through a couple of layers
of carrymat to provide some vibration damping).

Don't be afraid to modify something to suit.

...d

[email protected] wrote:

> Or does anyone have any alternativr ideas? Remember, the solution has
> to be small enough to allow Ellen to sit next to Luke in his seat.

The Weber seat worked well, at least from 3months, although I did use
additional foam to cushion it (as well as running half-flat tyres).

But sorry, mine is back in use again. I got it from 1+1 in Cologne,
but it's also available mail-order from
http://www.raddiscount.de/P03011.html (I bought my trailer from here -
service is good although they ain't the cheapest).

Also available from: http://www.spoke.co.uk/cycle_trailers.htm,
although I know nothing about this company.

sothach wrote:
> The Weber seat worked well, at least from 3months, although I did use
> additional foam to cushion it (as well as running half-flat tyres).
>
> Also available from: http://www.spoke.co.uk/cycle_trailers.htm,
> although I know nothing about this company.

Thanks for that info! That was the web address for Walton St Cycles in
Oxford. I phoned them up and they said that they didn't have any in
stock, but a new shipment was on its way. It arrived last Friday and as
they sounded professional enough on the phone I've ordered a Weber seat
from them, along with an insert, like the head-restraining collars you
get in car seats for babies, that should make it work well for my now 7
week old Luke.

So soon I will be back on wheels, at least for short shopping and child
transportation runs.

[email protected] wrote:

> So soon I will be back on wheels, at least for short shopping and child
> transportation runs.

Excellent.. How long before you introduce Luke to Bog Snorkelling?

I must get a scanner to get electronic copies of the pics of the home
made baby seat..

...d