WANTING A NEW BIKE THAT DOES TRACK AND ROAD

Bigtjw

Aug 12, 2011
I am a big fella 6'6 and no stick insect although losing weight fast. Ive been looking at upgrading from my old specialized cross roads competition which cost me about £800 back in the day. I want to spend about £1K and Im doing a long cycle down the west coast of the USA in May to June (approx 1600 miles) I do like off roading but generally on tracks and red shale but also like the roads . I want seat suspension but am open to lock off forks. I need a strong frame as at best Im going to be 18 stone plus tent and accessories.
I also need a large frame . I want a balance between thin tyres and off road tyres but dont want to be busting spokes all the time.
I have done lots of rides to date but this will be my biggest yet.
I have looked at CUBE ORANGE TREK GIANT but there are that many can anyone help me with :-
1) What to buy
and
2) Where to buy it.

Cheers Big TJW

Like myself, many folks here will misintrepret this thread title. Track, bikes generally refer to track / velodrome racing which is quite different than your needs.

If I were you, I would look into a touring or cyclecross bike. You can add a thudbuster or similar seat to that if you really need it.

Another option would be to get a 29'er and use road friendly slick tires.

For some odd reason I am drawing a blank here except for Surly Long Haul Trucker.

I would recomend a Cannondale SL4 29er. I have one and the frame itself is quite robust and it has a 1.5" steerer tube which also is very robust. I have mounted a pair of 700X38 Kenda Kwest tires which roll rather nicely on the paved roads. The frame has mounting lugs to add a rack and fenders if you so desire. The suspension fork can be locked out. The bike itself is no light weight but it will stand up to your 18 stone and the riding you are planning on doing.
Check it out.