Wanting to become serious about cycling

harobikes333

Sep 25, 2007
Hi, my name's Mark, I'm 18 and I want to get back into biking.

I haven't rode for quite a while. I used to ride a kmart mt. bike( lol i know...) day after day after work and got up to the point where I could put on 35 miles a day on it. (probably pretty weak but oh well)

I'm looking to spend around 800 dollars on a new bike. I'd like to be able to both mountain bike with it(trial ride, since North Dakota doesn't have mountains^ ^ ) and be a road bike.

I'm 5' "7 and 133lbs.

Any suggestions, help, etc. are greatly appreciated!!!

harobikes333 said:
Hi, my name's Mark, I'm 18 and I want to get back into biking.

I haven't rode for quite a while. I used to ride a kmart mt. bike( lol i know...) day after day after work and got up to the point where I could put on 35 miles a day on it. (probably pretty weak but oh well)

I'm looking to spend around 800 dollars on a new bike. I'd like to be able to both mountain bike with it(trial ride, since North Dakota doesn't have mountains^ ^ ) and be a road bike.

I'm 5' "7 and 133lbs.

Any suggestions, help, etc. are greatly appreciated!!!
Do you mean $800 dollars for a bicycle + a bunch of the extras; or do you mean walk into a bike shop with 800 dollars and walk out ready to ride?

My first bicycle was $850, but I bought a helemt, pump, shoes, pedals, bag, hand-pump, tire repair ****, little computer, etc, etc. With tax and everything else, it was $1200 dollars. I had no idea that extra stuff would be so pricey!

Edudbor said:
Do you mean $800 dollars for a bicycle + a bunch of the extras; or do you mean walk into a bike shop with 800 dollars and walk out ready to ride?

My first bicycle was $850, but I bought a helemt, pump, shoes, pedals, bag, hand-pump, tire repair ****, little computer, etc, etc. With tax and everything else, it was $1200 dollars. I had no idea that extra stuff would be so pricey!
I have a helmet, though it's not a biking helmet....
I'd have to get pedals or w/e
tire repair...?
little computer....:?????
I have a 3L Camelbak

I need some advice on biking clothing... lol

also what are those pouches in the back of all those biking jerseys?? :eek:
I'm willing to spend around 1000 total. trying to keep it to that about. but I suppose. its a one time investment i could go a tad over..

harobikes333 said:
When you say "road bike" what exactly do you mean? You can certainly ride a mountain bike on the road, but it won't be at all like riding a road bike on the road. The key is to get a good frame.

I would go with a recognized bike builder. Of course of those groups of companies, the "volume producers" like Specialized are going to be less expensive. Get a hardtail and get the lower end of a Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc. and you can stay in your budget.

Go to a cycle shop! They will be glad to help you out. They might even have a last year's model to get you up and going without to much cash.

Seeing that it's winter time basically I've heard the bikes go down in price... true??

When I said 800 I was saying that since most people recommend stuff that's always a bit more than what you say so I'm actually planning on spending 1k on the bike, equipment, etc. TOTAL.

I live in ND so we have a lot of open road but also quite a bit of off road stuff you can go on if u feel like it. ( no mountains tho :(

Please buy good company branded bicycle with reasonable price. You must obey the traffic rules.

The only reason I haven't done that is because I live in ND and the closes decent bike shop is pretty darn far away so I haven't gotten a chance to do so. :\