Wanting to take the plunge...

tilemyroof

Sep 2, 2009
Hey all,

I am pretty sure I am going to go and buy a bike and start cycling. Used to do it a lot as a kid. Looking to cycle mainly for fitness/fun (sitting in the gym for an hour is boring me to death)

I am after some advice though. I have decided what would be best for what I want/price range would be a giant crx4. However, I am worried about not staying with it, so I am wondering if anyone could recommend me some other good models? ones that might feature in second hand shop a lot :)

Also, I am no way confident at riding on the roads as many people are. I was planning on sticking to the paths (I am near eastlink path in Melbourne) just wondering if anyone has experience here? if it gets boring riding paths all the time or anything...

Any other advice or anything would be great :)

tilemyroof said:
Hey all,

I am pretty sure I am going to go and buy a bike and start cycling. Used to do it a lot as a kid. Looking to cycle mainly for fitness/fun (sitting in the gym for an hour is boring me to death)

I am after some advice though. I have decided what would be best for what I want/price range would be a giant crx4. However, I am worried about not staying with it, so I am wondering if anyone could recommend me some other good models? ones that might feature in second hand shop a lot :)
Visit a few bike shops, talk to the staff and take a few test rides. The best bike is one you're comfortable on.

tilemyroof said:
Also, I am no way confident at riding on the roads as many people are. I was planning on sticking to the paths (I am near eastlink path in Melbourne) just wondering if anyone has experience here? if it gets boring riding paths all the time or anything...

Dedicated cycle paths are good, but rare. Shared paths have pedestrians doing dumb things and require care and commonsense. Riding on footpaths is illegal in most states, because it's dangerous. Riding on the road is the safest way to get around, provided you do it properly. Join your local BUG - you'll learn how to ride safely, and you'll learn the best local routes and make some friends into the bargain.

Thanks mate. First off. What is a BUG?

Will shared paths do for fitness riding? At least in the early short term while I get used to things?

tilemyroof said:

Will shared paths do for fitness riding? At least in the early short term while I get used to things?

EDIT: Can anyone recommend me good places to buy a second hand bike in melb? I'm not having much luck with bike exchange/trading post/ebay

tilemyroof said:

BUG = Bicycle User Group. Most of them do social rides, catering to all abilities and speeds. You can usually find contacts from your state's cycling organisation. You said you're in Melbourne - try here: Club or Bicycle User Group — Bicycle Victoria

Sure, they're fine as long as you're not going too fast. Just watch out for pedestrians - ring your bell or call out if you're going to overtake them from behind.

Have fun!

I got my bike yesterday! first ride today. I was super excited. Was awesome, though I got rained on a bit.

There are indeed a few things to worry about on the shared paths. Was ok though. I am not used to handling of a road bike yet (I feel like im going to fall off uphill when I stand up) but it was great! Thanks for the info, hopefully get into it soon when im a bit more fit.

Are there any younger people BUGs? Most of them seem older... which is ok but I am young. :)

tilemyroof said:
I got my bike yesterday! first ride today. I was super excited. Was awesome, though I got rained on a bit.

There are indeed a few things to worry about on the shared paths. Was ok though. I am not used to handling of a road bike yet (I feel like im going to fall off uphill when I stand up) but it was great! Thanks for the info, hopefully get into it soon when im a bit more fit.

Are there any younger people BUGs? Most of them seem older... which is ok but I am young. :)
Have you signed up to the Bicycles Victoria forums?

Bicycle Victoria Forums - Index

Wide range of ages and abilities on there and a lot of helpful people.

tilemyroof said:

Fun, isn't it? :)

The best way to get fit is to keep riding!

Most BUGs do have a wide mixture of ages. There are all sorts of riding groups, but a BUG is a good starting place to get advice, learn skills and gain fitness. You may find that other groups suit you better, particularly as you gain experience.