War On Liberal America

jaguar75 said:
By the way I love how blacks, who are supposedly not racist, are always making the issues about race... Its amazing how much these people are complaining about oppression.
I'm beggin you, please, let's not go here. For the sake of the Soapbox. Please.

lokstah said:
I'm beggin you, please, let's not go here. For the sake of the Soapbox. Please.

Ok...Call me stupid as I am relatively new to this site, but I will assume this is a sore subject?

I don't think I have said anything out of line, certainly not by the standards of stuff that I have seen posted previously.

jaguar75 said:
Ok...Call me stupid as I am relatively new to this site, but I will assume this is a sore subject?

I don't think I have said anything out of line, certainly not by the standards of stuff that I have seen posted previously.
It's just a hell of an angle, ok? Basic arguments over the fundamentals of racism in America are best avoided. None of us have the time to swim through that charged a can of nuclear worms. I'll admit it freely: I just don't have the energy.

Sorry.

None of us have the time to swim through that charged a can of nuclear worms.

Have you been elected to a position of leadership in this forum to speak for everyone? Did I miss that

How can you say that when all of us, including you, post stuff day and night The better question here is do you have enough time to work.

This is a petty and pathetic brush off and I am a bit surprised, Lokstah, that a debator such as yourself would have made such a dismissive comment and done so as if I was a 12 year old boy aggrevating you to go outside and play basketball.

I just don't have the energy.
hmmm....

Ali originally failed his intelligence test for the Vietnam war. Here is the question that screwed him up:
"A clerk divided a number by 3.5 when it should be multiplied by 4.5. His answer is 3. What is the correct answer:
(a)3.25 (b)10.50 (c) 13.75 (d) 47.25"
The beginning of Ali's woes started over this failure. Here was a guy who was smart enough to knock out Sonny Liston and physically superior to most others, yet he was excluded from the draft on a point of IQ, till political pressure built up to list him.
I don't really have much of an opinion on the Ali issue and there are various ways you can look at it. On the one hand you can argue Ali became a millionaire through boxing and should have done his service. On the other hand, you can argue his religion was a genuine factor.
The following is reproduced in a book I'm reading on the issue:

"In fact, during the war, 31 per cent of eligible black males were drafted but only 18 per cent of whites, who were more likely to receive student deferments, or be declared ineligible on a technicality."
"In 1967 only 35 per cent of blacks and less that twenty per cent of whites opposed the war. That was about to change but at the time Ali took his stand he didn't have a whole lot of sympathy from black soldiers."

This book was written by Howard Bingham and Max Wallace. Haven't heard of them before. Even so, I think it's interesting how wars usually start of with a lot of public support but this support subsides as the years roll by. In the U.K. there was some support at the start of the Iraq war but this has clearly died a death. I strongly suspect the same thing will happen in America too but only time will tell.
Just as you would be very unpopular to criticize the Vietnam war, so we see the same thing over Iraq. I read there has been some kind of boycot against Cheryl Crow's records as she was apparently vocal over the war issue. Madonna has also taken some stick as well and it's a tough decision to risk your record sales going down if you express an unpopular view.
And I hear Jane Fonda was the celebrity who angered the public even more than Ali did over Vietnam.

jaguar75 said:
Amen...I have worn a POW/MIA bracelet for the better have of a decade now. I recently retired my previos bracelt because it was so corroded. When I paid for and ordered my new bracelt I requested a random name and it turned out to be Capt. Larry F. Potts USMC...a black man...you can read about him and when he went missing and subsequently killed. He was a Capt. in the Marine Corps. Poor black trash he was not...he was an officer and to be an officer you have to have a college degree.

Several guys I graduated flight school with gave up their helicopter slots in the army to go infantry. Two of my good buddies, one is in an arty unit in the army and is a sargent and has a masters degree and comes from a middle class family, the other one has a masters degree from Paris University and speaks 3 different languages and is a corporal in the Army.

So as you can see from the responses that you are getting the bull **** that front line combatants are blacks and white trash is just down right ludacris and mis-information.

By the way I love how blacks, who are supposedly not racist, are always making the issues about race. How many books have you read about hispanic, American Indian...etc war heros? Medal of Honor Recipients? Its amazing how much these people are complaining about oppression.

Carrera said:
Ali originally failed his intelligence test for the Vietnam war. Here is the question that screwed him up:
"A clerk divided a number by 3.5 when it should be multiplied by 4.5. His answer is 3. What is the correct answer:
(a)3.25 (b)10.50 (c) 13.75 (d) 47.25"
The beginning of Ali's woes started over this failure. Here was a guy who was smart enough to knock out Sonny Liston and physically superior to most others, yet he was excluded from the draft on a point of IQ, till political pressure built up to list him.
I don't really have much of an opinion on the Ali issue and there are various ways you can look at it. On the one hand you can argue Ali became a millionaire through boxing and should have done his service. On the other hand, you can argue his religion was a genuine factor.
The following is reproduced in a book I'm reading on the issue:

"In fact, during the war, 31 per cent of eligible black males were drafted but only 18 per cent of whites, who were more likely to receive student deferments, or be declared ineligible on a technicality."
"In 1967 only 35 per cent of blacks and less that twenty per cent of whites opposed the war. That was about to change but at the time Ali took his stand he didn't have a whole lot of sympathy from black soldiers."

This book was written by Howard Bingham and Max Wallace. Haven't heard of them before. Even so, I think it's interesting how wars usually start of with a lot of public support but this support subsides as the years roll by. In the U.K. there was some support at the start of the Iraq war but this has clearly died a death. I strongly suspect the same thing will happen in America too but only time will tell.
Just as you would be very unpopular to criticize the Vietnam war, so we see the same thing over Iraq. I read there has been some kind of boycot against Cheryl Crow's records as she was apparently vocal over the war issue. Madonna has also taken some stick as well and it's a tough decision to risk your record sales going down if you express an unpopular view.
And I hear Jane Fonda was the celebrity who angered the public even more than Ali did over Vietnam.

I have seen that name Max Wallace before...I just can not place it. I find statistics to be a bunch of facinating ****...Though they do show a lot of information they are not always reflective of the underlying theme.

Just as you would be very unpopular to criticize the Vietnam war, so we see the same thing over Iraq.
That is not why clebrities are blasted...They are shunned because they say spiteful, hateful things against the soldiers and they go about expressing their views as if to shove it down your throat. A lot of folks, including I, think its stupid that celebrities parade on their media exposure to express their political views. Just like the Dixie Chics did when they blasted George W. People want to hear your mouth produce lyrics not spew forth your political sentiments. Their career all but ended until they all made a very sincere public apology.

Why don't you read Thomas Hauser's biography of Ali. That's the official book on the subject. How many cars have you got in the parking lot tonight? Have you taken all the newspapers out of the trashcans? Or should it be, have you taken all the trash newspapers out of the cans?

there is more than enough u.s. perpetrated criminal atrocity going on that wether this is true or not should not be the determining factor to incite outrage.

when crimes against humanity under false and illegall pretense are committed against humanity it should not matter to us if it is in our backyard or against those many times innocent but falsely villified because of their nationality, where they live, or their cultural beliefs.

if you are not outraged, you are not paying attention, and this war is as much on the people of america as anyone.

Carrera said:
The other week, the newspapers over here featured a story that left me totally shocked and lost for words. It concerned the humiliation of American prisoners within the U.S.A. Maybe some of the Americans on the forum will know more details of the incident but, in brief, it concerned a prison somewhere in the U.S.
The article featured some pics of American prisoners being paraded around the streets in their underwear while women guards smirked. Some of the prisoners were dressed in effeminate clothes they had been forced to wear (same as what took place in Iraq). There was also talk of reintroduction of chain gangs, even including children in the said state but I can't recall which one it was.
The article stated liberal Americans had been incensed by all of this so I thought I'd ask liberal Americans on this forum what they think of such situations. Other testimonies include accounts of prisoners being threatened by dogs or degraded and in schools, it was reported kids are disciplined with wooden paddles.
Is America turning back from respect for human rights and what can liberal Americans do to stop the process?

Carrera said:
The question here is whether the Iraqi abuse scandal is an extension of abuses already taking place in American prisons under the Bush Administration. Here is a report:

"President, Bush presides over a prison population topping 2 million people, giving America the dubious distinction of having a higher percentage of its citizens behind bars than any other country. When considering that the US has three times more prisoners per capita than Iran and seven times more than Germany, the nation looks more like a Gulag than the Land of the Free. Abu Ghraib has left administration officials falling over themselves with protestations of compassion, but it's worth remembering that the Bush White House has fought hard against the International Convention Against Torture.
In September 1996, for example, a videotaped raid on inmates at a county jail in Texas showed guards using stun guns and an attack dog on prisoners, who were later dragged face-down back to their cells. Funding of mental health programs during Bush's reign was so poor that Texan prisons had a sizeable number of mentally-impaired inmates; defying international human rights standards, these inmates ended up on death row. A prisoner named Emile Duhamel, for example, with severe psychological disabilities and an IQ of 56, died in his Texan death-row jail cell in July 1998. Authorities blamed "natural causes" but a lack of air conditioning in cells that topped 100 degrees Fahrenheit in a summer heat wave may have killed Duhamel instead. How many other Texan prisoners died of such neglect during Bush's governorship is unclear."

152 EXECUTIONS AS GOVERNOR OF TEXAS

Although he said he was anguished by the decision, in an interview in Talk magazine, writer Tucker Carlson described Bush mimicking the woman's final plea for her life. "'Please,' Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, 'don't kill me.'"
- Time Magazine
http://www.bushkills.com/

Carrera said:
The criticism levelled at the U.S. over human rights has some foundation. There are manifold cases of black people who have been bumped off by the State on very flimsy evidence and all white juries being involved in such cases. The idea that only violent psycopaths are death row and all of these individuals are guilty is a doubtful case to make. Why are so many of these folks black?
I'm not trying to argue that crime should be tolerated or excused but I'm pointing out that there are forces in the U.S. who want to kill off human rights and I guess the terrorists have helped them accomplish this.
The problem is Bush is very quick to criticize China or Russia but the Chinese are very much aware there are problems with human rights in the U.S.A. and Bush is in no position to other nations. His record is hardly a model for others to follow.
touché'. Although it is good buisiness for small communities, they built A "Supermax" prison in Virginia, warehousing as opposed to intervention is bankrupting us. You can see how alot of poster's here are saying lock em' up w/o ANY REGARD to prevention/schooling/parenting. Nice crowd :rolleyes:
During the 1990s, a new generation of super–maximum security or supermax prisons began to spread. These institutions were designed for the universal and permanent isolation of all their inhabitants. (Control units, by contrast, confine a subgroup within a larger institution.) By 2002,
according to Human Rights Watch, more than 20,000 prisoners, or nearly 2 percent of the U.S. prison population, were being held in long-term
solitary confinement. From the beginning, control units have relied on sensory deprivation. Prisoners are confined in tiny cells the size of a parking space for twenty-three or twenty-four hours a day, often in what they describe as an “eerie silence.” In some cases, constant unpleasant noise, or having the lights on twenty-four hours a day, creates a different form of sensory
assault, with similar effects. Letters from prisoners tell of living in a cage the size of a small bathroom (or considerably smaller in some instances), with tiers of other cages above, below, and to either side. Many of the cells have no windows. The cells are often soundproof and there is little interaction with anyone other than staff. Educational or therapeutic programming is nonexistent; even exercise is solitary. Visits, telephone calls, and mail from family and friends are severely restricted, and reading material is censored. When a prisoner leaves the cell, a strip search is conducted, often including a pointedly humiliating anal probe — even though the prisoner may have had no direct contact with another human being for months.

Carrera said:
What America could do I guess is look into those countries where crime is so much lower. A case in point was Japan. The Japanese used to take a very aggressive line against unemployment so if you didn't have a job, they'd create one for you. It was figured it cost less to keep a person in employment than have him sit in jail. So, the Japanese winded up with a tiny prison population and relatively low crime.
Crime in the U.K. is far far higher than in Europe. Why? Well, probably because the U.K. follows the American model of low social security and faster economic growth and this is what the dispute in Europe is about at present.
What I mean is, the economy of France enjoys less growth than that of the U.S.A. or the U.K. but you have to bear in mind the U.S. and U.K. are paying the price of faster economic growth through higher crime (which costs taxpayer money). So, the French figure they would rather have slower economic growth but less people in prison.
What economists don't tell you over here is that the unemployed Frenchman collects almost double our rate of social security and is allowed to work a bit on the side. So, in France, you can be unemployed statistically but not in such a position of poverty you're forced into crime (as some people are).
It depends whether you share my own view that poverty, low welfare, social deprivation and broken families are fertile ground for high crime.
Since it would be unfair to criticize the U.S. alone, the truth is crime over here is getting very high as well. The prisons are basically full and the simple truth is there's no more room to accommodate so many supposed criminals.
Now the big problem facing Europeans is how the heck do you continue with high welfare and social protection while trying to compete against a fast growing economy such as China? Do you reduce welfare and lessen worker rights to try and keep up or, as the French believe, is the drop in living standards just not worth it?
Sadly,you may be wasting your time w/ these blokes, m8.

lokstah said:
Without weighing in on pink boxers, tents, and other interesting quirks about this particular lockup, I'd just like to offer the observation that there's no weaker argument to be made here than "if you can't stand the ____, don't do the crime." The question isn't whether convicted criminals be punished, even punished severely for their crimes; the question is how standards for for appropriate punishment are determined, how regulated and standardized those expectations are, and how carefully abuses are prevented.

I might not have a problem with pink boxers or desert tents, but I get uneasy at the thought of great liberties being taken to devise new or interesting ways to get the job done--particularly when masterminded by a particular sheriff or warden with a lot of localized power. There have to be stops, oversights, and clear standards for prisoner treatment. "If you do the crime, you face (whatever)" simply isn't an adequate philosophy.
Agree, due to this:

Amendment VIII (to The Constitution)

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. Thats for all of the "hang em' high" poster's. http://www.archives.gov/national_archives_experience/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html
I'll go ahead & say it now-"Touché'" :)

lokstah said:
PETA is a little nutty, but I love seeing the ACLU boil conservative blood. This is a libertarian organization through and through, folks, down to the point of regularly sticking up for white supremacists and--yes--fundamentalist Christian groups. I suspect they only rile up conservatives so often because of the naked frequency with which individual rights need to be safegaurded from conservative efforts.
You are the voice of reason my freind, the voice of reason. Too bad these feller's ain't buyin what yer' sellin' (the truth). Bill of Right's man !!! Those naysayer's might want to bone-up on their civil-right's, protected by the Constitution I might add; unless the Patriot act eviscerated them. Maybe they are ONLY concerned when it comes to their right's, not other's right's :confused:

Read all of them, every single one including Norman Mailer and his take on the Rumble In The Jungle.. Also read Smokin Joe Frazier's account of his feud with Ali. Moreover I read every single write up on Ali by the people who fought him, such as George Chuvalo, Henry Cooper e.t.c.
This latest book I refer to was interesting as it covers the political background to Ali's stance over Vietnam.
Let's bear in mind, however, that Ali never blasted the people who did opt to fight in Vietnam so long as they did what they did, believeing it was O.K. for them. And he also condemned violent protests.
Why are you so interested in what job I do or who I am e.t.c. I'm afraid you'll have to remain in the dark on that score.

FredC said:
Why don't you read Thomas Hauser's biography of Ali. That's the official book on the subject. How many cars have you got in the parking lot tonight? Have you taken all the newspapers out of the trashcans? Or should it be, have you taken all the trash newspapers out of the cans?

Thanks heavens there are some liberals on the forum from the other side of the pond. I was beginning to feel like Rocky Balbao in the 14th round - Fred C yelling towards the opposite corner, "Go to the body! Finish him off!"
Just kidding.
I think that maybe I took some heat as my posts seemed to be being directed at American prisons while I didn't include accounts of problems that exist elsewhere. One of the worst I saw was a boot camp in Kazakhstan where young detainees were forced to walk on their haunches while priests heaped lavish praise on the institution. The Russian reporter who exposed the activity with a secret camera was later arrested.
I also saw a disturbing documentary on the treatment of young offenders world wide. Brazil was particularly bad and Southern States of the U.S.A. were criticized over a number of boot camps.
Again, my take on all of this is that much crime is connected with other social problems such as family breakdown, alcoholism, drugs, poverty e.t.c.
Only a minority of people who have been locked up are what might be described as evil people. And the idea, if it's true, of women and children being forced into chain gangs is truly shocking if there is even a remote possibility such a policy might be accepted.

davidmc said:
touché'. Although it is good buisiness for small communities, they built A "Supermax" prison in Virginia, warehousing as opposed to intervention is bankrupting us. You can see how alot of poster's here are saying lock em' up w/o ANY REGARD to prevention/schooling/parenting. Nice crowd :rolleyes:
During the 1990s, a new generation of super–maximum security or supermax prisons began to spread. These institutions were designed for the universal and permanent isolation of all their inhabitants. (Control units, by contrast, confine a subgroup within a larger institution.) By 2002,
according to Human Rights Watch, more than 20,000 prisoners, or nearly 2 percent of the U.S. prison population, were being held in long-term
solitary confinement. From the beginning, control units have relied on sensory deprivation. Prisoners are confined in tiny cells the size of a parking space for twenty-three or twenty-four hours a day, often in what they describe as an “eerie silence.” In some cases, constant unpleasant noise, or having the lights on twenty-four hours a day, creates a different form of sensory
assault, with similar effects. Letters from prisoners tell of living in a cage the size of a small bathroom (or considerably smaller in some instances), with tiers of other cages above, below, and to either side. Many of the cells have no windows. The cells are often soundproof and there is little interaction with anyone other than staff. Educational or therapeutic programming is nonexistent; even exercise is solitary. Visits, telephone calls, and mail from family and friends are severely restricted, and reading material is censored. When a prisoner leaves the cell, a strip search is conducted, often including a pointedly humiliating anal probe — even though the prisoner may have had no direct contact with another human being for months.

davidmc said:
152 EXECUTIONS AS GOVERNOR OF TEXAS

Although he said he was anguished by the decision, in an interview in Talk magazine, writer Tucker Carlson described Bush mimicking the woman's final plea for her life. "'Please,' Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, 'don't kill me.'"
- Time Magazine
http://www.bushkills.com/
I know you live in Virginia...another "smoke em if you got em" state...But really, Texas has led the nation in executions for years even though they stopped them for a while in the late 70's early 80's...

Just take a look at the list...Here is just one nugget of alpo for you.

"In 1984, Karla Tucker was convicted of the brutal murders of her ex-lover, Jerry Lynn Dean, and his companion, Deborah Thornton and sentenced to the death penalty. During her trial, Tucker admitted that on June 13, 1983, she and her boyfriend at the time, Daniel Ryan Garrett, took a pickax and hacked Dean and Thornton to death while they were sleeping."

Yes...outstanding citizens here..... :rolleyes:

As a side note, After letting a bunch of killers go in Ark. Clinton reversed his stance on capitol punishment and left the 1992 presidential campaign to fly home for the execution of Rickey Ray Rector, a retarded murderer...Although he deserved to die, your hero took great pride in watching him die. So, although your little tabloid enriched site was very entertaining and your headline may get a little attention. When you get to the bottom of the **** hole that you lefties thrive in, there is no point....So, Bush killed people who killed innocent Texas citizens...I suppose you would rather he put them in pink undies??? or pick undies as sudo porsche calls them...Make up you mind will ya?

Carrera said:
Thanks heavens there are some liberals on the forum from the other side of the pond. I was beginning to feel like Rocky Balbao in the 14th round
Who is Rocky "Balbao"? Is he Chachi's brother?

I attached a few pics for you...Now tell me do you prefer the "blue dress" or the Pick shorts?

It's interesting how much attitudes have changed in this country since the sixties. We used to have these borstal institutions where juvenile offenders were treated like in boot camps. They called it a short, sharp shock. I know a girl in my area who was paid compensation for having been left practically naked in solitary confinement. Even at school, I personally witnessed genuine violence - something that would be unthinkable today. I mean, I saw a teacher hurl someone across the room and then kick and stamp on him. That was in the seventies, I think.
Now we have gone from one extreme to another and have changed from becoming over repressive to over liberal. What's needed is a sensible balance.
My own view is that folks who commit moderate crime should be assessed and evaluated by qualified people. You need to find out if there's some history of family abuse, alcoholism in a family or some destabilising factor. You need to have the person understand that a crime is a crime and is socially unacceptable to others but this isn't accomplished by marching the individual about in chains or dressing them up in pink "pick-shorts".
What's up with sports programs like those Schwarzennegger favours, together with counselling?
Again I'm not talking about serial killers or Nazi war criminals, simply folks who come from a deprived background or a broken family and never had the same chances as your average white collar, middle class person.

davidmc said:

Carrera said:
Thanks heavens there are some liberals on the forum from the other side of the pond. I was beginning to feel like Rocky Balbao in the 14th round - Fred C yelling towards the opposite corner, "Go to the body! Finish him off!"
Just kidding.
I think that maybe I took some heat as my posts seemed to be being directed at American prisons while I didn't include accounts of problems that exist elsewhere. One of the worst I saw was a boot camp in Kazakhstan where young detainees were forced to walk on their haunches while priests heaped lavish praise on the institution. The Russian reporter who exposed the activity with a secret camera was later arrested.
I also saw a disturbing documentary on the treatment of young offenders world wide. Brazil was particularly bad and Southern States of the U.S.A. were criticized over a number of boot camps.
Again, my take on all of this is that much crime is connected with other social problems such as family breakdown, alcoholism, drugs, poverty e.t.c.
Only a minority of people who have been locked up are what might be described as evil people. And the idea, if it's true, of women and children being forced into chain gangs is truly shocking if there is even a remote possibility such a policy might be accepted.
So blame everyone else but the criminal?