War On Liberal America

Colorado Ryder said:
You obviously resent the concept of personal responsibility.
No, I resent the concept of a double standard. You, & zap, it would seem, see no difference in the fact that different people are brought up w/ different priveledges or lack thereof. Instead of adressing the root causation & possibly remedying it, you attack the end result. What you are saying is that these people are predetermined to become criminals. Am I correct in that assumption :confused:

Colorado Ryder said:
Slavery is one of the stains on conservatism!
Republicans now represent Southern voters!
That's a cheap summation of thread chatter from different sources, and not an accurate reference to anything I've ever posted.

And for the record, I'm not insinuating--I'm insisting that the legacy of bigotry is well-connected to the history of conservativism in America. By the same token, I would never (and never have) indicated that, as you put it, "conservatives are racist" in a general sense. That's ludicrous and not something I believe.

davidmc said:
No, I resent the concept of a double standard. You, & zap, it would seem, see no difference in the fact that different people are brought up w/ different priveledges or lack thereof. Instead of adressing the root causation & possibly remedying it, you attack the end result. What you are saying is that these people are predetermined to become criminals. Am I correct in that assumption :confused:
No. These people have their own minds. They have the ability to do the right thing or the wrong thing. The choice is theirs to make. Being poor or abused as children are not valid excuses to commit crimes.

Colorado Ryder said:
I resent yours and Lokstahs insinuations that conservatives are racist.
Their voting base is in the "old confederacy". IF racism exist's, which we know it does, where is it in preponderance :confused: The "old confederacy". I'm not saying every person down there is racist but, a great many inre to the North. As an aside, every Republican "get-together" photo I see is, for the most part, bereft of black faces. That says alot right there. It is the party of the "Have's" as opposed to the "Have-not's".

Colorado Ryder said:
No. These people have their own minds. They have the ability to do the right thing or the wrong thing. The choice is theirs to make. Being poor or abused as children are not valid excuses to commit crimes.
So, you are saying that "rigging" the system to benefit the upper-class is O.K. in your book. Someone from the South Bronx is on a level playing feild, all other things being unequal errr...I mean equal, as someone from Park Avenue :confused: Surely you jest.

lokstah said:
That's a cheap summation of thread chatter from different sources, and not an accurate reference to anything I've ever posted.

And for the record, I'm not insinuating--I'm insisting that the legacy of bigotry is well-connected to the history of conservativism in America. By the same token, I would never (and never have) indicated that, as you put it, "conservatives are racist" in a general sense. That's ludicrous and not something I believe.
How is bigotry connected to conservatism?

And just a side note. When JitteringJR mentioned something about race you quickly called him on it. However, when David equates Republicans to trying to stop Civil rights, with a very clear insinuation of racism, you said nothing.

Colorado Ryder said:
Being poor or abused as children are not valid excuses to commit crimes.
Personally, I believe the best model has to rely on both approaches: it's absolutely necessary to hold individuals responsible for their own fate, and at the same time, society should be obligated to acknowledge, study and address the context behind social problems. All too often, arguments are made which dismiss one or the other, and that's silly.

davidmc said:
So, you are saying that "rigging" the system to benefit the upper-class is O.K. in your book. Someone from the South Bronx is on a level playing feild, all other things being unequal errr...I mean equal, as someone from Park Avenue :confused: Surely you jest.
So what you are saying is that people don't have to responsible for their own actions. They can always blame someone or something else. Surely you jest.

Colorado Ryder said:
How is bigotry connected to conservatism?

And just a side note. When JitteringJR mentioned something about race you quickly called him on it. However, when David equates Republicans to trying to stop Civil rights, with a very clear insinuation of racism, you said nothing.
I didn't equate it, I said it. Did you see my post on Strom Thurmond's 24 hr. fillibuster of civil right's & my mention of the lack of black faces in Republican get-together's. They are primarily white, christian, men for the most part. Christianity itself equates blacks to being punished (Hammites). Thats one, of many reasons, I'm not a Christian. The south is the red state monopoly right now.

Colorado Ryder said:
So what you are saying is that people don't have to responsible for their own actions. They can always blame someone or something else. Surely you jest.
What I'm saying is that we have endemic, structural, barriers to the advancement of lower income individuals & you seem to be of the mind set that someone from Harlem is on par w/ someone from Park Place.

lokstah said:
Personally, I believe the best model has to rely on both approaches: it's absolutely necessary to hold individuals responsible for their own fate, and at the same time, society should be obligated to acknowledge, study and address the context behind social problems. All too often, arguments are made which dismiss one or the other, and that's silly.
Kind of like we're doing right now?

davidmc said:
I didn't equate it, I said it. Did you see my post on Strom Thurmond's 24 hr. fillibuster of civil right's & my mention of the lack of black faces in Republican get-together's. They are primarily white, christian, men for the most part. Christianity itself equates blacks to being punished (Hammites). Thats one, of many reasons, I'm not a Christian. The south is the red state monopoly right now.
Still waiting to hear about Byrd and Wallace!

davidmc said:
What I'm saying is that we have endemic, structural, barriers to the advancement of lower income individuals & you seem to be of the mind set that someone from Harlem is on par w/ someone from Park Place.
No. I'm of the mind that people know what is right or wrong. Apparently you believe lower income individuals are too stupid to make this basic decision.

Colorado Ryder said:
No. I'm of the mind that people know what is right or wrong. Apparently you believe lower income individuals are too stupid to make this basic decision.
You didn't address my issue of endemic, structural barriers :confused:

Colorado Ryder said:
But that solution would mean we'd have nothing to post about.
What's wrong w/ addressing the cause of their dissatisfaction (see my graph outlining the obscene wage disparities present today) I'm wasting my time.

davidmc said:
What's wrong w/ addressing the cause of their dissatisfaction (see my graph outlining the obscene wage disparities present today) I'm wasting my time.
What's wrong with not giving someone an excuse for committing a crime?
Oh I see....someone is dissatified with where they are in life....its ok to commit crimes.