Warm Cycling Jacket?

ElPerro

May 8, 2004
I'd like to try and use the road bike all through the winter this year, last year had to park it from late December until early March. Obviously snow and ice days are out of the question, but there were some decent days I could have gone out - it was just too cold here in NYC. I'm going to order a pair of the Assos Airblock Thermex tights, expensive but supposed to be very good. What would you guys recommend for a warm cycling jacket? I've heard some good things about the Pearl Izumi Barrier jacket and I guess that would be my default choice right now. As this is something that will be used year after year, I'm not really concerned about price. The temperature range I need to cover the 10 - 30 degree F area; probably most frequently in the mid-teens and low twenties.

Thanks...

ElPerro said:
I'd like to try and use the road bike all through the winter this year, last year had to park it from late December until early March. Obviously snow and ice days are out of the question, but there were some decent days I could have gone out - it was just too cold here in NYC. I'm going to order a pair of the Assos Airblock Thermex tights, expensive but supposed to be very good. What would you guys recommend for a warm cycling jacket? I've heard some good things about the Pearl Izumi Barrier jacket and I guess that would be my default choice right now. As this is something that will be used year after year, I'm not really concerned about price. The temperature range I need to cover the 10 - 30 degree F area; probably most frequently in the mid-teens and low twenties.

Thanks...

winter gear actually i wear my ski gear for winter riding i have a very thin goretex coat that i wear on the outside and then i have a pair of goretex pants that i also use. sometimes a bit exopensive but i think its worth it. i try to get it on sale after the ski season.

ElPerro said:

Thanks...

Why not put your bike away (or use an indoor trainer) and go out and do some running - I reckon you can get just as much aerobic beneift from a 30 - 45 minute run as a 3-4 hour bike ride. Your bike wont get covered in salty corrosive muck from the roads and it would benefit your cycling when the weather gets better. I hate the cold !! Good Luck

Cheers

I don't think there's enough cross-over between running and cycling, always assuming your goals are performance rather than just staying fit and healthy.

We`re wearing long tights (and another 3/4 length spandex over them if it`s colder) and windstopper jacket (we put on other clothes under it, depends of temperature), but we`re not riding if it`s less than 3 degrees C (37,5 F)!

Whole winter in NYC? Hm..I think you`ll need wormer jacket and long underware too..

The same here! From 15+ to 10- in last, rainy weekend! After several months in short bibs and jersey I`m not accustomed to wearing all that! But I`ll have to accustome..:rolleyes:

yer! the trouble is my bike will get dirty! lol, plus i get cold :eek:

i wish it was all year summer! lol now that would be great...........

ElPerro said:
I've heard some good things about the Pearl Izumi Barrier jacket and I guess that would be my default choice right now. As this is something that will be used year after year, I'm not really concerned about price. The temperature range I need to cover the 10 - 30 degree F area; probably most frequently in the mid-teens and low twenties.

Thanks...

I live in NJ and have been cycling here the last three winters. The weather here varies considerably from freezing cold to just moderately cold during the winter months. I don't cycle at temperatures below 20° because I find that even with a face mask and sufficent body clothing layers, my feet and hands start to become too cold after awhile even with two pair of socks and a glove liner.

At 20-30° I have a Gore XCR jacket with under zips for the coldest, and/or wetest weather. It is unlined, so I wear a jersey or two underneath, as required. I have heavy Boure fleece pants, and thermal lined gloves. For my feet I have neoprene booties.

For 30-45°, I have just purchased a Gore Windstopper Function Jacket with removeable sleeves. This is also an unlined jacket so that I can select layering as required. I also purchased the Gore Windstopper Bib with adjustable suspenders and front zip for pit stops.

There are quite a few rolling hills around here, but it still takes me at least five miles to warm up. The idea is to go out somewhat on the cold side, as I will be looking to loose some clothing after a while. I have a velcro strap in my underseat bag that I use for attaching no longer wanted clothing to the bottom of the bag.

Hope this helps!

do the gore bibs have chamois? i just bought the pearl escalation bibs but the windproof laminate is only up to the knees so i may exchange them for the gore ones.

vkhalsa said:
do the gore bibs have chamois? i just bought the pearl escalation bibs but the windproof laminate is only up to the knees so i may exchange them for the gore ones.

No, there is no chamois. I prefer winter bibs without a chamois as this way the bib does not require washing after each ride, just the shorts underneath with chamois. The windstopper fabric is on the entire front of the fabric, and the interior is a warm Roubaix like material. Another plus for the Gore Bike Wear Bibs is that the adjustable suspenders can be opened completely for a pit stop. There is a velcro tab that can release the suspender. The knees are articulated for easier pedaling. The legs are not skin tight, which I prefer on a winter bib, and are quite comfortable. Performancebike is offering a free pair of Windstopper gloves with the Gore Windstopper Bib.

There a coupon at
CouponMountain.com for 20% on a $50 Performancebike purchase that you can try.

Whew, just reading all your posts makes me freeze! Not as cold here in Cali as it is there in the east. I wear just a fleece jacket and tights, booties on my shoes and that's it! I can last the whole day riding! Good luck!

tanggoman said:
Whew, just reading all your posts makes me freeze! Not as cold here in Cali as it is there in the east. I wear just a fleece jacket and tights, booties on my shoes and that's it! I can last the whole day riding! Good luck!

We regularly have family members moving back to New Jersey from California with some romantic nonsense regarding snowy winters. The romance fades after the first winter. http://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif I've cycled through the past three winters, and as it gets darker and colder here I can barely wait for Springs arrival.

vkhalsa said:
Yeah I am debating getting the getting a pair of the Escalations for myself. I think that they will be good enough for all but the very worst days. I wish they made the AMFIB bibs with the 3D chamois (I've gotten hooked on them in my micrsosensor bib shorts); though I have been thinking that with something that heavy I may do just as well with a liner layer.

serenaslu said:
Yeah I am debating getting the getting a pair of the Escalations for myself. I think that they will be good enough for all but the very worst days. I wish they made the AMFIB bibs with the 3D chamois (I've gotten hooked on them in my micrsosensor bib shorts); though I have been thinking that with something that heavy I may do just as well with a liner layer.
I've also gotten so I don't like to wear anything but the 3D chamois - as in my Microsensor bibs. I finally just purchased some PI ThermaFleece flash tights and wear them over my bibs - quite comfortable actually. They don't slip down (as I feared they might) while you ride and during a recent chilly ride (in the low 40s and breezy) they were very much warm enough.

You could also wear the AmFIBs over your Microsensors. As for a warm jacket, I also just got PI's Barrier jacket. VERY comfortable and warm - with good moisture transfer. I did sweat quite a bit on this ride and never felt clammy or wet...

my wifes boss tells me i can order studded snow tires for the winter. anybody tried them?