Warm feet at last

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Since my clipless pedals developed a defect, I reverted back to the old Power Grips. I was able to
    adjust them to accept my lightweight waterproof hunting boots which have (I think) 200 grams of
    Thinsulate insulation. Three hours of triking at 24 degree temps with a 15 mph wind left my toes in
    much better shape than they were when riding with clipless sandals, two pairs of socks and a
    neoprene bootie. The boots are heavier, of course, but still got the job done. I think from now on
    I'll use Power Grips for cold weather riding.

    Tags:

  2. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    John, Nice pictures. I use motor cross googles to protect eyes and face in cold.
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ "John" <[email protected]>
    > Since my clipless pedals developed a defect, I reverted back to the old Power Grips. I was able to
    > adjust them to accept my lightweight waterproof hunting boots which have (I think) 200 grams of
    > Thinsulate insulation. Three hours of triking at 24 degree temps with a 15 mph wind left my toes
    > in much better shape than they were when riding with clipless sandals, two pairs of socks and a
    > neoprene bootie. The boots are heavier, of course, but still got the job done. I think from now on
    > I'll use Power Grips for cold weather riding.

  3. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    [email protected] (John) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Since my clipless pedals developed a defect, I reverted back to the old Power Grips. I was able to
    > adjust them to accept my lightweight waterproof hunting boots which have (I think) 200 grams of
    > Thinsulate insulation. Three hours of triking at 24 degree temps with a 15 mph wind left my toes
    > in much better shape than they were when riding with clipless sandals, two pairs of socks and a
    > neoprene bootie. The boots are heavier, of course, but still got the job done. I think from now on
    > I'll use Power Grips for cold weather riding.

    I put my platform pedals back on. They formerly had toe cages and straps. I just omitted the toe
    cages so they would more easily accommodate bulkier footwear. It has been nice to wear anything that
    I want, warmer to be sure. I will revert to SPD's and sandals next summer.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

  4. Mike O'Brien

    Mike O'Brien Guest

    Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote
    | John,
    |Nice pictures. I use motor cross googles to protect eyes and face in
    | cold.

    er...what pictures?

    Regards,

    Mike O'Brien

    Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

  5. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    Power Grips don't get the respect they deserve. I use PGs and Frogs, and in my opinion the PGs are
    90% as efficient and a lot safer.

  6. Chere

    Chere Guest

    "Power Grips don't get the respect they deserve. I use PGs and Frogs, and in my opinion the PGs are
    90% as efficient and a lot safer."

    I agree... after too many "Artie Johnson" falls using Egg Beaters, I too went back to flat pedals
    with the toe cage only (no straps)..works fine on my GRR for keeping feet on the pedals but allows a
    speedier reaction when a quick foot down is needed.

    Chere

  7. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    "chere" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Power Grips don't get the respect they deserve. I use PGs and Frogs, and in my opinion the PGs
    > are 90% as efficient and a lot safer."
    >
    > I agree... after too many "Artie Johnson" falls using Egg Beaters, I too went back to flat pedals
    > with the toe cage only (no straps)..

    I had PG's for a while. I never felt safe with them, and never was able to crank my feet in tight
    enough to keep from slipping out. But I *did* manage to cut off the circulation to my toes.

    Then I got Frogs. I'd never had clipless pedals before. I had one minor "Artie Johnson" when I was
    still figuring out how they worked, but since then I've never had a bit of trouble. My feet stay
    clipped in when I want them to, and they come out instantly and effortlessly when they should. I'd
    never go back to PG's. I feel safe and comfortable with my Frogs.

    Gary

  8. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    I think that for PGs to work at their best you need shoes that mesh with them. There are probaly
    some shoes that just aren't compatible. I think I got lucky there. I did fuss with them for a while
    but eventually got to a point where they felt 'right'. For me, that point was where the strap ended
    up very slightly behind the widest point of the outside edge of shoe.

    > I had PG's for a while. I never felt safe with them, and never was able
    > crank my feet in tight enough to keep from slipping out. But I *did* manage to cut off the
    > circulation to my toes.

  9. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    I have never had an Arte Johnson because of the Frogs, only my own stupidity. I recommend them to
    anyone riding a bent, and wouldn't use any other pedal. Chas

  10. YMMV. I hated Frogs. I found them "slippery" and they disconnected me without warning. I happily use
    Eggbeaters and previously Shimano 959s and
    545s.

    --
    news:p[email protected]...