Warm feet at last

John

Guest
Since my clipless pedals developed a defect, I reverted back to the old Power Grips. I was able to
adjust them to accept my lightweight waterproof hunting boots which have (I think) 200 grams of
Thinsulate insulation. Three hours of triking at 24 degree temps with a 15 mph wind left my toes in
much better shape than they were when riding with clipless sandals, two pairs of socks and a
neoprene bootie. The boots are heavier, of course, but still got the job done. I think from now on
I'll use Power Grips for cold weather riding.

John, Nice pictures. I use motor cross googles to protect eyes and face in cold.
~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~ "John" <[email protected]>
> Since my clipless pedals developed a defect, I reverted back to the old Power Grips. I was able to
> adjust them to accept my lightweight waterproof hunting boots which have (I think) 200 grams of
> Thinsulate insulation. Three hours of triking at 24 degree temps with a 15 mph wind left my toes
> in much better shape than they were when riding with clipless sandals, two pairs of socks and a
> neoprene bootie. The boots are heavier, of course, but still got the job done. I think from now on
> I'll use Power Grips for cold weather riding.

[email protected] (John) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Since my clipless pedals developed a defect, I reverted back to the old Power Grips. I was able to
> adjust them to accept my lightweight waterproof hunting boots which have (I think) 200 grams of
> Thinsulate insulation. Three hours of triking at 24 degree temps with a 15 mph wind left my toes
> in much better shape than they were when riding with clipless sandals, two pairs of socks and a
> neoprene bootie. The boots are heavier, of course, but still got the job done. I think from now on
> I'll use Power Grips for cold weather riding.

I put my platform pedals back on. They formerly had toe cages and straps. I just omitted the toe
cages so they would more easily accommodate bulkier footwear. It has been nice to wear anything that
I want, warmer to be sure. I will revert to SPD's and sandals next summer.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote
| John,
|Nice pictures. I use motor cross googles to protect eyes and face in
| cold.

er...what pictures?

Regards,

Mike O'Brien

Trying to keep the barbarians from the gate, but they all have fake ID's

Power Grips don't get the respect they deserve. I use PGs and Frogs, and in my opinion the PGs are
90% as efficient and a lot safer.

"Power Grips don't get the respect they deserve. I use PGs and Frogs, and in my opinion the PGs are
90% as efficient and a lot safer."

I agree... after too many "Artie Johnson" falls using Egg Beaters, I too went back to flat pedals
with the toe cage only (no straps)..works fine on my GRR for keeping feet on the pedals but allows a
speedier reaction when a quick foot down is needed.

Chere

"chere" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Power Grips don't get the respect they deserve. I use PGs and Frogs, and in my opinion the PGs
> are 90% as efficient and a lot safer."
>
> I agree... after too many "Artie Johnson" falls using Egg Beaters, I too went back to flat pedals
> with the toe cage only (no straps)..

I had PG's for a while. I never felt safe with them, and never was able to crank my feet in tight
enough to keep from slipping out. But I *did* manage to cut off the circulation to my toes.

Then I got Frogs. I'd never had clipless pedals before. I had one minor "Artie Johnson" when I was
still figuring out how they worked, but since then I've never had a bit of trouble. My feet stay
clipped in when I want them to, and they come out instantly and effortlessly when they should. I'd
never go back to PG's. I feel safe and comfortable with my Frogs.

Gary

I think that for PGs to work at their best you need shoes that mesh with them. There are probaly
some shoes that just aren't compatible. I think I got lucky there. I did fuss with them for a while
but eventually got to a point where they felt 'right'. For me, that point was where the strap ended
up very slightly behind the widest point of the outside edge of shoe.

> I had PG's for a while. I never felt safe with them, and never was able
> crank my feet in tight enough to keep from slipping out. But I *did* manage to cut off the
> circulation to my toes.

I have never had an Arte Johnson because of the Frogs, only my own stupidity. I recommend them to
anyone riding a bent, and wouldn't use any other pedal. Chas

YMMV. I hated Frogs. I found them "slippery" and they disconnected me without warning. I happily use
Eggbeaters and previously Shimano 959s and
545s.

--
news:p[email protected]...