Warmed Stone Massage ???

"Michael Baugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:N%[email protected]...
> During a guided imagery session, a person can be directed
> to feel the 'warmth of the sun' at the spot I lay my hand,
> and the area, such as
medial
> to the shoulder blades, will turn red from the warmth at
> the spot.
>
> This is something that should not be able to happen,
> through conscious control. So there are other forces
> working here, and I suspect that the warmed stone is to
> facilitate the same effect, that of directing the client's
> efforts towards the spot.
>
> Yet another aspect of the true healer being the person
> recieving the massage, and it is our function to help
> direct the self-healing capacity that everyone has but not
> in their conscious control, such as in Bowen Therapy and
> general myofascial release techniques.
>
> Bet you didn't get that in massage school.

There is a lot one doesn't get in massage school I am
learning.

There seems to be so much controversy over energy in stones.
and therapists selling voodoo. I just re-read my brochure on
hot stone massage and there is no mention of energy in the
stones, only that the use of hot stones may improve energy
flow. I do believe that everything has an energy quality to
it though. That is my belief. If I didn't believe in energy,
I would be a shitty Shiatsu practitioner. lol

"Mj Hess" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> But Ben... at this very moment.. are you truly awake? Or
> are you still "sleeping"?
>
> If we weren't "dreamers".. if we didn't invent, create,
> pioneer and otherwise give birth to new ideas and ways of
> being and indeed, healing... where would we be today?
> Advancements in medicine (Every sort of
medicine..
> alternative, western, eastern, ayurvedic, tcm, etc.), have
> their place.. some methodologies, pharmaceuticals,
> techniques are accepted enough to
cross
> many different cultures and systems.. others are looked
> upon as voodoo/magic, etc...
>
> Your scenario about the people living away from access to
> "western" medicine.. only go to western as a last resort..
> then they are healed "if possible".. yet.. here in
> America.. I know several people.. who have been through
> pharmaceutical hell, radical surgeries.. and then.. after
> their bodies have been ravaged by western medicine.. as a
> "last resort" they go
> an "alternative practitioner"..
>
> I would submit to you that there are things in existence
> in this realm of physicality that we may not ever be able
> to "prove". But even attempting
> prove something of that nature.. would be very much like
> trying to prove that there are colors ranging from
> ultraviolet to infrared in a rainbow.. though our eyes
> cannot see the fringes thereof....
>
> Our attempts to prove or disprove a thing that cannot be
> perceived by our five senses is feeble. Not just because
> of the obvious.. but because of
the
> more sublime futility that we all must accept at some
> level: That is..... our individual minds are only an
> aspect of the whole.. it is not possible
> sit back and say.. this is the way.. or that is the way..
> or you're
right..
> and you're wrong about things of this nature. For our
> individual minds
can
> only absorb so much "reality".. and then we make a
> psychological shift in order to adapt to the changes..
> It's totally human nature to spin our own realities to
> ourselves.. this includes the tangibles and the intangible
> realities as well..
>
> I dont have the time this evening.. but I have actually
> read and seen documentation in video and text regarding
> such things as energetic changes in a room during "out
> of body" experiences, etc.. that's just a small thing..
> and is attempting to again prove something to the"nay
> sayers".. but.. why bother? The truth of the matter is
> that.. Truth in Medicine
will
> eventually evolve to where nobody needs proof.. we all
> know deep inside
what
> that is to us. We are more than a set of systems.. western
> medicine compartmentalizes the body.. into systems.. and
> we do it all with our minds.. seems to me that healing
> that involves the whole person.. body, mind, spirit..
> would be more complete and long lasting..
>
> And on a more personal note: My opinion of Western
> Medicine is it's great for acute situations that are life
> threatening.. resetting a bone, an emergency surgery, and
> yes at times.. chemotherapy and radiation for some
> cancers.. intervention when the body is apparently losing
> its battle with the imbalance...but to disregard possible
> benefits of things that are not harmful seems foolish to
> me.. and really.. in the beginning.. before the
> technology, before the "progress"... well.. I'm rambling..
> but look at the tv commercials for the latest greatest
> "medicine".. listen closely as the commercial wraps up..
> you can take a pill for heartburn to get long
lasting
> relief.. but be careful of the side effects w hich may
> include.. nausea, vomiting, dizziness, slight risk of
> stroke and or death.. lol (I'm exaggerating here.. but you
> get the idea)
>
> big subject.. no pat answer for it..
>
> mj

People will go to whichever form of medicine they know and
are comfortable with. Most people in the States are
comfortable with their Western medicine, it is all they
know. That is completely understandable. Whichever form of
medicine one choices, they must believe in it with all
their hearts. The thing is this generation is seeing
something wrong with being over medicated. We are studying
other forms of medicine and trying them. We have seen the
Western MD is only looking to make symptoms go away, hardly
ever looking at the root of the symptom. I would never tell
someone not to see their MD, as a matter of fact have told
clients to go to their doctor asap for various things. For
example, an older client who has high blood pressure comes
and tells me she stopped taking her high blood pressure
meds because she felt fine. I took her blood pressure, it
wasn't overly high but I don't know what is normal for her.
She went home, called the MD, who seen her immediately and
took care of her.

Clients ask me, do I go to the doctor? Which doctor? the
Witch Doctor? lol. Honestly, I have not been to an MD in
years. But I would never recommend one DOESN'T. It is my
choice, I only go to the MD as a last resort and by the
looks of how long its been since I have been there......
the first resorts work. I have a daughter who, outside a
annual physical that the school requires, hasn't seen a MD
either. We were able to bring a fever down with Essential
Oils and cupping. A persisting cough was alleviated with
guasha. That is just a few examples. My daughter is of an
age that she understands kind of what I do with her when I
am doing it but she is skeptical. She mumbles and groans.
She still heals.

I enjoy this topic of conversation and being able to
debate things.

You can believe in one thing, and have something else
actually doing the job. Thusly are borne myths and
religions. But I also believe there is an energy transfer,
and that there are energy parasites, and that over time we
tend to get an inkling about them, just from being nearby.

Tiffany <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
. I do believe that everything has an energy quality to
> it though. That is my belief. If I didn't believe in
> energy, I would be a shitty Shiatsu practitioner. lol

Yes I agree. I have a couple of clients that are like black
holes. To look at them, there are no outward signs. Clean,
healthy, pleasant, quiet and relaxed during the treatment.
About 40 minutes into the treatment though, I have become
completely exhausted, almost nauseous sometimes and wonder
how the heck I am going to have enough energy to get through
the rest of my work day. As soon as I break contact and wash
up, I am fine. At first I thought it was just me but it is
always the same couple of clients that affect me this way. A
real intangible but very real situation. It is something I
have discussed with other therapists that have had similar
experiences.

Tiffany wrote:

> There seems to be so much controversy over energy in
> stones. and therapists selling voodoo. I just re-read my
> brochure on hot stone massage and there is no mention of
> energy in the stones, only that the use of hot stones may
> improve energy flow. I do believe that everything has an
> energy quality to it though. That is my belief. If I
> didn't believe in energy, I would be a shitty Shiatsu
> practitioner. lol

That seems to be a reasonable statement on your brochure.
Tension in the body impedes energy flow - the relaxing
effect of the hot stones would help to improve the client's
own energy.

sue

"suzee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tiffany wrote:
>
> > There seems to be so much controversy over energy in
> > stones. and
therapists
> > selling voodoo. I just re-read my brochure on hot stone
> > massage and
there is
> > no mention of energy in the stones, only that the use of
> > hot stones may improve energy flow. I do believe that
> > everything has an energy quality
> > it though. That is my belief. If I didn't believe in
> > energy, I would be
> > shitty Shiatsu practitioner. lol
>
> That seems to be a reasonable statement on your brochure.
> Tension in the body impedes energy flow - the relaxing
> effect of the hot stones would help to improve the
> client's own energy.
>
> sue

Thanks.... I won't take credit for the brochure. I buy them.
:)

<Yes I agree. I have a couple of clients that are like black
holes. To look at them, there are no outward signs. Clean,
healthy, pleasant, quiet and relaxed during the treatment.
About 40 minutes into the treatment though, I have become
completely exhausted, almost nauseous sometimes and wonder
how the heck I am going to have enough energy to get through
the rest of my work day. As soon as I break contact and wash
up, I am fine. At first I thought it was just me but it is
always the same couple of clients that affect me this way. A
real intangible but very real situation. It is something I
have discussed with other therapists that have had similar
experiences.>

Drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially when
washing your hands between clients.

Don't eat sugar or white bread, etc., especially on
work days.

Do a mental image like picturing a light along your spine
that will pull in and hold your energy inside. Picture roots
growing out of the soles of your feet to the center of the
earth and a light beam from the top if your head, reaching
to the sun.

Do chakra energy enhancing imagery or acupuncture
meridian imagery.

When you expect energy vampires, play music with drumming or
other energizing sounds.

They usually do not know that they are taking energy so
don't resent them; try to help them keep their own.

Someone once told me she felt tentacle like things coming
from her client, sucking out her life force. She told her
client to do the energy light thing while she did it for
herself. When the therapist did this mental imagery, she
was able to preserve her own energy and the client felt
better, too.

I say prayers silently all day long, and especially when
seeing patients.

It isn't just people we touch, some people suck it out while
talking on the phone and they usually are not aware of it.
If we are too tired, worried or otherwise not alert, we are
more susceptible. Keep yourself aware and strong. LK

http://www.icdc.com/~drkelly/chiropractorphiladelphia803.htm
________________________

Know that it is not all just to live--not all just to be
good, but good for something; that ye may fulfill that
purpose for which ye have entered this experience.

Do you like the clients that you've mentioned? Be honest. I
know you describe them as "clean, healthy, pleasant, quiet,
and relaxed," but do you like them? Aren't you describing a
bad chemistry experience?

I don't like everybody I meet. And I know for a fact that
not everybody likes me. I am aware of quite a lot of tension
when I'm with clients that I don't like, but I can still
describe them as you have. Maybe don't like isn't exactly
the right phrase for first time encounters, but I meet
people everyday that I don't want to make friends with, or
with whom I don't want to make friends.

When it comes to repeat clients, how does a sensitive
caring considerate thoughtful Therapist tell the client
that you would rather not have them as a client when it
comes to clean, healthy, pleasant, ..." clients that are
like black holes?

Do you explain the energy phenomenon and give 'em a couple
of hot rocks on their way out the door?

Ben

mossrite wrote:
> Yes I agree. I have a couple of clients that are like
> black holes. To look at them, there are no outward signs.
> Clean, healthy, pleasant, quiet and relaxed during the
> treatment. About 40 minutes into the treatment though, I
> have become completely exhausted, almost nauseous
> sometimes and wonder how the heck I am going to have
> enough energy to get through the rest of my work day. As
> soon as I break contact and wash up, I am fine. At first I
> thought it was just me but it is always the same couple of
> clients that affect me this way. A real intangible but
> very real situation. It is something I have discussed with
> other therapists that have had similar experiences.

"Ben Dover" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you like the clients that you've mentioned? Be honest.
> I know you describe them as "clean, healthy, pleasant,
> quiet, and relaxed," but do you like them? Aren't you
> describing a bad chemistry experience?

Yes I like them just fine. We have a great rapport and many
things in common. It is not about personality or chemistry.
It is not that simple. I am talking about an ill feeling I
get after spending a certain amont of time "hands on" in
treatment. Maybe they have an underlying pathology but it is
not in my scope of practice to investigate issues outside of
those treated by massage therapy or unless there are "red
flags" that indicate referral on to the appropriate health
care provider.

> I don't like everybody I meet. And I know for a fact that
> not everybody likes me. I am aware of quite a lot of
> tension when I'm with clients that I don't like, but I can
> still describe them as you have.

Conversely I do have some clients who drive me right around
the bend when they come in and I can't wait to get them
into the treatment so I don't have to talk to them any more
than is necessary. I do not experience the same phenomena
with them.

> When it comes to repeat clients, how does a sensitive
> caring considerate thoughtful Therapist tell the client
> that you would rather not have them as a client when it
> comes to clean, healthy, pleasant, ..." clients that are
> like black holes?

I do not tell them. I cannot refuse treatment to any person
without a legitimate reason. I would loose my license.
> Do you explain the energy phenomenon and give 'em a couple
> of hot rocks on their way out the door?

My you are a cynical one aren't you! lol ..no I don't have
any hot rocks at all but let me see if I can borrow one so I
can hurl it at you! DUCK! lol

Don't know about others, but I don't avoid the ones like I
mentioned, but I do protect myself. The people I deal with
usually have fibromyalgia, and tend to have very little
psychic reserve. It's like they come in like empty buckets.
I am strong, I am capable of assisting them, but I'm not
there to be depleted. So I try to view myself as a conduit
rather than a reservoir. When I get a sense of foreboding, I
stand warned that they are in very real trouble, and
frequently the massage training session actually becomes an
opportunity to express pent-up distresses. Far as I'm
concerned, that's a big part of the relationship, and I
don't begrudge them anything. And my handwashing afterwards
tends to be more ritualistic than functional, since I rarely
use oil anyway.

Ben Dover <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you like the clients that you've mentioned? Be honest.
> I know you describe them as "clean, healthy, pleasant,
> quiet, and relaxed," but do you like them? Aren't you
> describing a bad chemistry experience?

Damn, it would be nice if other chiropractors were more
spiritual, less mechanistic. They would be more likely to be
espousing nonforce chiropractic. Even though I suspect that
your description is something of a misnomer, since the force
that's involved is, IMO, more powerful than physical
pressure or trapdoor tables.

L Kelly, DC <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially when
> washing your
hands
> between clients.
>
> Don't eat sugar or white bread, etc., especially on
> work days.
>
> Do a mental image like picturing a light along your spine
> that will pull
in
> and hold your energy inside. Picture roots growing out of
> the soles of
your
> feet to the center of the earth and a light beam from the
> top if your
head,
> reaching to the sun.
>
> Do chakra energy enhancing imagery or acupuncture meridian
> imagery.
>
> When you expect energy vampires, play music with drumming
> or other energizing sounds.
>
> They usually do not know that they are taking energy so
> don't resent them; try to help them keep their own.
>
> Someone once told me she felt tentacle like things coming
> from her client, sucking out her life force. She told her
> client to do the energy light thing while she did it for
> herself. When the therapist did this mental imagery, she
> was able to preserve her own energy and the client felt
better,
> too.
>
> I say prayers silently all day long, and especially when
> seeing patients.
>
> It isn't just people we touch, some people suck it out
> while talking on
the
> phone and they usually are not aware of it. If we are too
> tired, worried
or
> otherwise not alert, we are more susceptible. Keep
> yourself aware and strong. LK
>
> http://www.icdc.com/~drkelly/chiropractorphiladelphi-
> a803.htm
> ________________________
>
> Know that it is not all just to live--not all just to be
> good, but good
for
> something; that ye may fulfill that purpose for which ye
> have entered this experience.

"Ben Dover" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you like the clients that you've mentioned? Be honest.
> I know you describe them as "clean, healthy, pleasant,
> quiet, and relaxed," but do you like them? Aren't you
> describing a bad chemistry experience?
>
> I don't like everybody I meet. And I know for a fact that
> not everybody likes me. I am aware of quite a lot of
> tension when I'm with clients that I don't like, but I can
> still describe them as you have. Maybe don't like isn't
> exactly the right phrase for first time encounters, but I
> meet people everyday that I don't want to make friends
> with, or with whom I don't want to make friends.
>
> When it comes to repeat clients, how does a sensitive
> caring considerate thoughtful Therapist tell the client
> that you would rather not have them as a client when it
> comes to clean, healthy, pleasant, ..." clients that are
> like black holes?
>
> Do you explain the energy phenomenon and give 'em a couple
> of hot rocks on their way out the door?
>
> Ben

What? like stones to the head? lol You can't really say....
you have bad energy, you suck my energy, ect. How would THEY
feel then, even if they didn't believe in energy? Pretty
crappy I am sure. Never to get massage again from anyone?

Seriously...... it is hard to approach someone and end a
professional relationship. One just has to be some-what
honest and say that they don't feel they are the best
therapist for the job and refer them to another therapist.
IF someone is insistent on coming back then go ahead with
it. It can be a learning experience for the therapist. Look
inside and see what it might be that makes you not like that
client. It could be something you see in them that is
similar to self. Or you might just not click. When with the
client, let go of all previous emotions. For the energy
suckers..... you can do the imagery thing but mostly you
just have to say to yourself, I am NOT going to take on any
ones bad feeling (or energy, if you believe in that).

example: I had one client that I treated for one full year,
twice monthly. Every time he showed up for his massage he
would come in with a long face and say "today was one of the
worst days of my life". He was being treated for myofascila
pain in the shoulder girdle due to stress. Over the next 12
months he never, ever was compliant with any home care, no
stretches, remedial breathing, changing anything in his life
to help himself. He was like a big sponge that would flop on
my table and expect me to "fix it". After a ninety minute
massage, I would ask him how he felt and all he would share
was "somehat better I suppose". It got to the point where I
just could not stand the thought of treating him any more.
He is the only client in ten years of practice that I
eventually had to end the relationship with, referring him
on to another MT (who appreciated it I'm sure ..lol).

<When it comes to repeat clients, how does a sensitive
caring considerate thoughtful Therapist tell the client
that you would rather not have them as a client when it
comes to clean, healthy, pleasant, ..." clients that are
like black holes?>

No one gets into the healing arts because they are looking
for friends.

Every person and situation that crosses our paths are there
to teach us some type of lesson.

Black holes should be thought of as a challange but, if the
therapist isn't up to it, it's best to cancel out.

This also applies to mental health practitioners, dentists,
hairdressers, barbers, etc., anyone the public would rely on
for healing or discuss their problems with. Self control and
focus on the part of the practitioner are most important.

The healer should be whole first or everyone will lose. That
is a great aspect of Reiki, because they have "shares" where
everyone receives healing. Health therapists should exchange
treatments with others weekly, and not necessarily the same
modality. LK

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:14:12 -0400, Debra Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>In reality, I think you may be speaking about Newtonian
>Physics (the world is mechanical and can be explained
>logically) vs Quantum Physics (we don't understand the
>mechanism by which things interrelate -- i.e.: Are memories
>in the brain? We can detect them but is there an
>explanation for the energy pathways of the body
>(meridians)? can we share dreams? is there really a
>collective conscious that can be accessed? are we all
>really "one" after all? Why does the observer affect the
>outcome?). It is difficult to talk about energy and Quantum
>Physics because no one really totally understands Quantum
>Physics (certainly I don't)-- we just aren't there yet.
>There is a measurable energy force called the Zero Point
>Field (ZPF)-- that is, there is no such thing as a vacuum
>or nothingness. When temperatures are reduced to "absolute
>zero, the lowest possible energy state, where all matter
>has been removed and nothing is supposedly left to make
>motion," . . ." fluctuations are still measurable." (Lynne
>McTaggart -- "The Field") Scientists have known about ZPF
>for a long time but simply cancelled it out of their
>calculations as a nuisance. But we don't have the final
>word. Science has studied ZPF since the 80's and there are
>tremendous numbers of scientific studies (related in the
>book mentioned above with nearly 20 pages of
>bibliographies). Why do we "feel" people walk up behind us
>or "know" someone is watching us or have "hunches" that are
>right on the money or simply "know" certain things? Why did
>four remotely placed Random Event Generators (computers
>generating random zeros and ones at a billions/min. rate)
>"spike" at the reading of the OJ Simpson verdict? Is any of
>that "real"?
>
>I am a Board Certified Reflexologist -- not a massage
>therapist. I touch people for a living and find it
>interesting that people who are in the business of touch
>are still in doubt about the presence of "energy". I would
>hope that the touch modalities would be well trained in
>centeredness, the emotional, spiritual and psychological
>manifestations of touch -- haven't we seen clients "break
>down" in emotional/psycological release from the power of
>the healing session whatever form that may take? Couldn't
>we call that energy? Are we afraid that someone will think
>we are snake oil salesmen if we admit that we don't
>understand everything and allow their belief systems in
>tact? Do practitioner egos serve a pupose within a session
>focused on another's wellness? Do we even understand how
>touch therapies work or have we taken the most apparent
>easy answer?
>
>It is with a loving kindness that I ask these questions. I
>simply ask that we consider that there is more than we can
>understand. Maybe the rocks have an "energy" that only our
>client can feel -- then why not allow the concept to
>survive -- especially since we don't really know anyway?

Wow. Very interesting post, David/Debra. But if "the
observer affects the outcome", as you say, how can
anyone claim

"There is a measurable energy force called the Zero Point
Field (ZPF)-- that is, there is no such thing as a vacuum
or nothingness."

?

CB

Ben wrote:
> The jackal wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was very interested in your message below.
>>
>> I am a semi regular massage client and I have on two
>> occasions by different therapists been told that they
>> could feel energy when they placed hands at the start.
>> That I "vibrated" .... One even admitted to feeling quite
>> flushed by the end of the massage. I have always written
>> it off as "marketing" ..... Just as compliments to
>> encourage return business.
>>
>> I am a former semi professional athlete so I am pretty
>> tightly packed together and I have always written off
>> compliments during a massage as just "commercial
>> flirting".
>>
>> So is it really possible that people do give off an aura
>> or "suck the life out" of others??
>>
>> I am very interested in other people's experiences.
>>
>> ST
>

> Why would you consider being told that you vibrated to be
> a compliment? If you started becoming a semi regular at
> legitimate massage parlors

> your prostitutes a good flushing. Ben

You are a very strange person!

What is going on in your life that makes you so
antagonistic??

That's it for me if that's the intelligence level
around here.

Ben is not the indicator of the intelligence level here lol.

No one person is the indicator of any ng, imo.. they are
themselves, we are ourselves.. so on and so forth..

Don't have that be it for you.. your post was interesting.
And just another validation for those that need it re:
"the energy"..

take care!

mj "The jackal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ben wrote:
> > The jackal wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I was very interested in your message below.
> >>
> >> I am a semi regular massage client and I have on two
> >> occasions by different therapists been told that they
> >> could feel energy when they placed hands at the start.
> >> That I "vibrated" .... One even admitted to feeling
> >> quite flushed by the end of the massage. I have always
> >> written it off as "marketing" ..... Just as compliments
> >> to encourage return business.
> >>
> >> I am a former semi professional athlete so I am pretty
> >> tightly packed together and I have always written off
> >> compliments during a massage as just "commercial
> >> flirting".
> >>
> >> So is it really possible that people do give off an
> >> aura or "suck the life out" of others??
> >>
> >> I am very interested in other people's experiences.
> >>
> >> ST
> >

> > Why would you consider being told that you vibrated to
> > be a compliment? If you started becoming a semi regular
> > at legitimate massage parlors

> > your prostitutes a good flushing. Ben
> >
> You are a very strange person!
>
> What is going on in your life that makes you so
> antagonistic??
>
> That's it for me if that's the intelligence level
> around here.

He is a troll.. A troll is someone who posts provocative
comments, often insulting to the particular group of readers
the newsgroup appeals to. It is usually done as a joke to
inflame and invoke responses from other legitimate
contributors to the group. Your response is typical of the
one's they attempt to generate.