WARNING! Black Ice is about!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    As i discovered on my a*se this morning LOL.

    Luckily it wasnt a nasty fall, more of a controlled slide & fall - no injury but I now realise that
    black ice isnt a nice thing to ride over!

    Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice - i THINK my slide may have happened
    because I braked or turned - i presume the same rules apply for if i was driving a car - try and
    avoid it?!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com>

    > Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice

    I think the Ians will agree: two wheels bad, three wheels good :)

    I have a two-wheeleed darksider of course, and I find that on the occasions when ice causes it to
    vanish from under me my arse has not thus far hit the ground. You feel the bike go and stand up. But
    if you do come a cropper on the dark side there's not so far to fall :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  3. "Lee" <[email protected]com>

    > Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice

    Don't ride over it. Avoid any part of the road where the surface looks shiny and black (this applies
    also for avoiding diesel spills!). One of the good things about cycling is that you can get a good
    view of the road surface so use the opportunity!

    - i THINK my
    > slide may have happened because I braked or turned - i presume the same rules apply for if i was
    > driving a car - try and avoid it?!

    Exactly.

    Rich

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> writes:

    > As i discovered on my a*se this morning LOL.
    >
    > Luckily it wasnt a nasty fall, more of a controlled slide & fall - no injury but I now realise
    > that black ice isnt a nice thing to ride over!
    >
    > Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice - i THINK my slide may have happened
    > because I braked or turned - i presume the same rules apply for if i was driving a car - try and
    > avoid it?!

    I don't think you can stay upright indefinitely on ice on a normal bike. But you can stay upright
    for many tens of yards if you minimise control input. Once you try to pedal or brake or steer you
    are definitely in trouble and probably going down. Unclip your SPDs!

    ;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    > I think the Ians will agree: two wheels bad, three wheels good :)
    >
    > I have a two-wheeleed darksider of course, and I find that on the
    occasions
    > when ice causes it to vanish from under me my arse has not thus far hit
    the
    > ground. You feel the bike go and stand up. But if you do come a cropper
    on
    > the dark side there's not so far to fall :)
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===
    >
    > WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    > http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    GAH! ye dark siders!

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > I have a two-wheeleed darksider of course, and I find that on the
    occasions
    > when ice causes it to vanish from under me my arse has not thus far hit
    the
    > ground. You feel the bike go and stand up. But if you do come a cropper
    on
    > the dark side there's not so far to fall :)

    Should we introduce a prize -- a sort of 'goal of the month' competition for the most innovative and
    downright implausible reason to promote the dark-side to good, upstanding citizens?

    If so, I nominate this for the December Prize. Clearly ranks as Complete Bollox[tm].

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    > "Lee" <[email protected]com>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    >> Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice

    Nokian studded tyres. Work an absolute treat. I have ridden up a 1:10 pulling the trailer on ice I
    couldn't walk up without crampons.

    They're not cheap at about 25 quid each but if you like the sound of dog nails on a parquet floor as
    you cycle they are the business.

    ..d

  8. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Tony W scribed with passion and wit:

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> I have a two-wheeleed darksider of course, and I find that on the
    > occasions
    >> when ice causes it to vanish from under me my arse has not thus far hit
    > the
    >> ground. You feel the bike go and stand up. But if you do come a cropper
    > on
    >> the dark side there's not so far to fall :)
    >
    > Should we introduce a prize -- a sort of 'goal of the month' competition for the most innovative
    > and downright implausible reason to promote the dark-side to good, upstanding citizens?
    >
    > If so, I nominate this for the December Prize. Clearly ranks as Complete Bollox[tm].

    Ride a trike, then you go looking for ice, not trying to avoid it.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com>
    > As i discovered on my a*se this morning LOL.
    >
    > Luckily it wasnt a nasty fall, more of a controlled slide & fall - no
    injury
    > but I now realise that black ice isnt a nice thing to ride over!
    >
    > Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice - i THINK my slide may have happened
    > because I braked or turned - i presume the same rules apply for if i was driving a car - try and
    > avoid it?!

    we got black ice. 2 many nig nogs skating on lake

  10. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:05:30 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a two-wheeleed darksider of course, and I find that on the occasions when ice causes it to
    >vanish from under me my arse has not thus far hit the ground. You feel the bike go and stand up.

    Do you use clipless Guy? Whenever I've had a bike disappear from under me it's been a pretty much
    instantaneous happening. There has usually been enough time only to realise I'm in the sh*t and then
    the bike has either spat me off or found some grip. It's not often I even have time to modify my
    steering/braking/whatever let alone unclip from my pedals.
    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spamtrapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  11. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Lee"
    <[email protected]com>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > As i discovered on my a*se this morning LOL.
    > >
    > > Luckily it wasnt a nasty fall, more of a controlled slide & fall - no
    > injury
    > > but I now realise that black ice isnt a nice thing to ride over!
    > >
    > > Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice - i THINK my slide may have happened
    > > because I braked or turned - i presume the same rules apply for if i was driving a car - try and
    > > avoid it?!
    > >
    > we got black ice. 2 many nig nogs skating on lake

    Which lake would that be?

  12. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Do you use clipless Guy? Whenever I've had a bike disappear from under me it's been a pretty much
    > instantaneous happening.

    Yes, I use SPD on the 'bent. Tonight I will of course come off and slide down the road on my arse,
    but it hasn't happened yet.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  13. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Call me Bob wrote:

    > Whenever I've had a bike disappear from under me it's been a pretty much instantaneous happening.
    > There has usually been enough time only to realise I'm in the sh*t and then the bike has either
    > spat me off or found some grip. It's not often I even have time to modify my
    > steering/braking/whatever let alone unclip from my pedals.

    On a bent spds are almost essential. On a bent trike it would be extreme folly not to use them. It
    can be pretty nasty for your feet to drop off the pedals as your legs will get pulled under the
    cross beam with disastrous results - like snapped bones.

    But then on a trike you aint gonna fall off anyway, just slide slide slide... whoopeeeeeeee e e e
    e e e e e e

    Can't wait 'til the snow ;-)

    John B

  14. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "David Martin" wrote ...
    > > "Lee" wrote...
    Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice

    > Nokian studded tyres. Work an absolute treat. I have ridden up a 1:10 pulling the trailer on ice I
    > couldn't walk up without crampons.
    >
    > They're not cheap at about 25 quid each but if you like the sound of dog nails on a parquet floor
    > as you cycle they are the business.
    >
    > ..d

    Second the recommendation. Nokian Hakkapeliitas are an excellent studded tire for commuting. Mine
    have been very durable, no flats and good tread wear. The tread itself is quite good for snow, too.

    Be aware that they are very heavy and slow, but that's not such a bad thing on ice. Traction on dry
    pavement is also quite reduced, I find it disconcertingly easy to lock the front wheel on dry roads.
    --
    mark
    Hakkapeliitas on my bike *and* my car

  15. Lee

    Lee Guest

    news:[email protected]... much instantaneous happening.

    > Yes, I use SPD on the 'bent. Tonight I will of course come off and slide down the road on my arse,
    > but it hasn't happened yet.
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===
    >
    > WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    > http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    Im not looking forward to it! The thing about black ice is, its black... the thing about the night
    is... its black - so how are you supposed to see it then!!!?

    I can guarentee that Ill fall off again! just hope its as slow as it was this morning!!!

  16. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 10/12/03 3:16 pm, in article
    [email protected], "mark"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "David Martin" wrote ...
    >>> "Lee" wrote...
    > Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice

    >> Nokian studded tyres. Work an absolute treat. I have ridden up a 1:10 pulling the trailer on ice
    >> I couldn't walk up without crampons.

    >> They're not cheap at about 25 quid each but if you like the sound of dog nails on a parquet floor
    >> as you cycle they are the business.

    > Second the recommendation. Nokian Hakkapeliitas are an excellent studded tire for commuting.
    > Mine have been very durable, no flats and good tread wear. The tread itself is quite good for
    > snow, too.

    > Be aware that they are very heavy and slow, but that's not such a bad thing on ice. Traction on
    > dry pavement is also quite reduced, I find it disconcertingly easy to lock the front wheel on
    > dry roads.

    Heavy and slow, but you stay upright.

    Mine now just hang in the garage as Dundee isn't reknowned for its arctic winters.. The A10 are very
    good and come in both 559 and 622 sizes. I have the W102 which have a more tractor like tread and
    seem to be better for deeper snow as well as sheet ice.

    Seriously good kit.

    ..d

  17. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On a bent spds are almost essential. On a bent trike it would be extreme folly not to use them. It
    > can be pretty nasty for your feet to drop off the pedals as your legs will get pulled under the
    > cross beam with disastrous results - like snapped bones.

    The technical term for this is "leg suck". I've never actually met anyone who has experienced it,
    but I agree it's definitely to be avoided.

    The other reason I use SPDs on the trike is that it saves energy that would otherwise be used to
    hold my legs in position - I once rode my GTO for a couple of miles without the spuds and it left my
    legs much more tired and uncomfortable than if I'd been clipped in...

    > But then on a trike you aint gonna fall off anyway, just slide slide slide... whoopeeeeeeee e e e
    > e e e e e e

    Quite so :)

    It is *possible* to fall off a 'bent trike of course, but by gum, you have to work at it :)

    --
    Carol Hague "...it's not normal if you don't like cake..." - Sean Yates

  18. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com>

    > Im not looking forward to it! The thing about black ice is, its black... the thing about the night
    > is... its black - so how are you supposed to see it then!!!?
    >
    > I can guarentee that Ill fall off again! just hope its as slow as it was this morning!!!

    My cycling style has adjusted quite a lot. I'm keeping well away from manhole covers, and off the
    yellow/white lines. Also, not leaning into corners. In fact, it's boring. The fog was nice last
    night. Makes it spooky cycling along the towpath :)

    Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to the job?

  19. "Lee" <[email protected]com>

    > Im not looking forward to it! The thing about black ice is, its black... the thing about the night
    > is... its black - so how are you supposed to see it then!!!?

    It might be black but it isn't necessarily entirely invisible, at least where there is adequate
    street lighting, if you are looking out for it. Black ice tends to have a sheen to it, which is
    distinct from the duller grey of the normal road surface unless the whole road surface is like that,
    which it might be in conditions of rain or drizzle or fog. In cold weather stay off anything that
    looks 'wet' if you can. You might find there are particular places where you are more likely to
    encounter icy conditions on your commute, for example on corners where water just tends to lie, or
    on residential roads where there is less motor traffic, which are also less likely to be gritted.
    Note that even a heavy frost on the road surface can have you off. Take a route and a line that
    avoids the most likely hazard spots.

    Rich

  20. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... much instantaneous happening.
    >
    >>Yes, I use SPD on the 'bent. Tonight I will of course come off and slide down the road on my arse,
    >>but it hasn't happened yet.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Guy
    >>===
    >>
    >>WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    >>http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
    >>

    > Im not looking forward to it! The thing about black ice is, its black... the thing about the night
    > is... its black - so how are you supposed to see it then!!!?

    if you can see 'cyclists' at night without lights, in dark clothes you should be able to see
    black ice !!!!

    --
    Pete

    interchange 12 for 21 to reply