WARNING! Black Ice is about!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Carol Hague wrote:
    > The technical term for this is "leg suck". I've never actually met anyone who has experienced it,
    > but I agree it's definitely to be avoided.

    I'm pretty sure I'd have experienced it by now if I hadn't read about it before getting bent and
    hence taken care to avoid it. I'm in the habit of dismounting while the bike is still moving, which
    puts me at definite risk of leg suck.

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to
    the
    > job?

    Quite possibly - but they dont point down enough!!!

  3. Ian

    Ian Guest

    elyob scribed with passion and wit:

    > My cycling style has adjusted quite a lot. I'm keeping well away from manhole covers, and off the
    > yellow/white lines. Also, not leaning into corners. In fact, it's boring. The fog was nice last
    > night. Makes it spooky cycling along the towpath :)
    >
    > Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to the job?

    Just as an aside, Stelvios are crap on ice, as I found this morning, time for the
    Marathons methinks.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  4. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Im not looking forward to it! The thing about black ice is, its black... the thing about the night
    >>is... its black - so how are you supposed to see it then!!!?
    >>
    >>I can guarentee that Ill fall off again! just hope its as slow as it was this morning!!!
    >>

    > My cycling style has adjusted quite a lot. I'm keeping well away from manhole covers, and off the
    > yellow/white lines. Also, not leaning into corners. In fact, it's boring. The fog was nice last
    > night. Makes it spooky cycling along the towpath :)
    >
    > Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to the job?

    the really really powerful bike lights melt the ice in front of you as you ride (with a 10MW dynamo
    on the back wheel(

    --
    Pete

    interchange 12 for 21 to reply

  5. On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:33:06 GMT, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Im not looking forward to it! The thing about black ice is, its black...

    Well, technically it is transparent. Black ice is a thin layer of transparent ice on a road surface.

    >> the thing about the night is... its black - so how are you supposed to see it then!!!?

    > Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to the job?

    It will depend on the road surface and the way in which the ice crystallised.

    Colin
    --

  6. On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:36:05 +0000 (UTC), Pete Whelan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > elyob wrote:

    >> Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to the job?
    >
    > the really really powerful bike lights melt the ice in front of you as you ride (with a 10MW
    > dynamo on the back wheel(

    You need to get yourself an auto-sweeping laser. It's the accessory de jour.

    Colin
    --

  7. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:36:05 +0000 (UTC), Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > elyob wrote:
    >
    > >> Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to the job?
    > >
    > > the really really powerful bike lights melt the ice in front of you as you ride (with a 10MW
    > > dynamo on the back wheel(
    >
    > You need to get yourself an auto-sweeping laser. It's the accessory de jour.

    Light sabres are pretty good too ;-)

    John B

  8. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    JohnB wrote:
    > Light sabres are pretty good too ;-)

    http://www.firebox.com has a good one for 50 quid. I noticed the other day that my local Woolworths
    had the same one reduced to 15 quid. I was sorely tempted, and would have bought one if they'd had
    it in red.

    I ain't paying 15 quid for a blue lightsabre though. Maybe a fiver.

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

  9. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > JohnB wrote:
    > > Light sabres are pretty good too ;-)
    >
    > http://www.firebox.com has a good one for 50 quid. I noticed the other day that my local
    > Woolworths had the same one reduced to 15 quid. I was sorely tempted, and would have bought one if
    > they'd had it in red.
    >
    > I ain't paying 15 quid for a blue lightsabre though. Maybe a fiver.

    I can feel a suggestion for a tournament coming on. Perhaps at the York Rally or somewhere.

    John B

  10. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:44:02 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague)
    wrote:

    >The technical term for this is "leg suck". I've never actually met anyone who has experienced it,
    >but I agree it's definitely to be avoided.

    Leg suck eh? I agree, it does sound nasty.

    Didn't The Duchess of York get caught out by something similar once? Very unfortunate incident....
    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spamtrapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  11. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote:
    > As i discovered on my a*se this morning LOL.

    Where are you? Here (southwest England) it warmed up hugely yesterday (about 15 degrees difference)
    and there's no question of ice. And the rest of the country usually gets our weather later on ...

    --
    Finally, someone takes a stand against Humbug. Three cheers for Austrian shop workers!

  12. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:44:02 +0000, [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:
    >
    > >The technical term for this is "leg suck". I've never actually met anyone who has experienced it,
    > >but I agree it's definitely to be avoided.
    >
    > Leg suck eh? I agree, it does sound nasty.
    >
    > Didn't The Duchess of York get caught out by something similar once? Very unfortunate incident....

    You silly twisted boy! :)

    Have a gorilla!

    --
    Carol Hague "If tin whistles are made of tin, what do they make fog horns out of?"
    - Lonnie Donegan

  13. JamJar

    JamJar Guest

    > In fact, it's boring. The fog was nice last night. Makes it spooky
    > cycling along the towpath :)

    Heh, until you get wet going under one of those bridges

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JohnB wrote:
    > > Light sabres are pretty good too ;-)
    >
    > http://www.firebox.com has a good one for 50 quid. I noticed the other day that my local
    > Woolworths had the same one reduced to 15 quid. I was sorely tempted, and would have bought one if
    > they'd had it in red.

    I see you've left your request on the site too. :)

    --
    Dave...

  15. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:50:45 -0000, Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > if you do come a cropper on the dark side there's not so far to fall :)
    >
    > Should we introduce a prize -- a sort of 'goal of the month' competition for the most innovative
    > and downright implausible reason to promote the dark-side to good, upstanding citizens?
    >
    > If so, I nominate this for the December Prize. Clearly ranks as Complete Bollox[tm].

    Dunno. I have come off my low recumbent trike on ice, though I admit it was while practising my
    handbrake turns. The leading wheel caught something and the trike flipped up and over at somewhere
    between 20 and 30mph (towards the upper end I think, but the speedo doesn't work when you're going
    sideways).

    Compared to when I've come off an upright at above 20mph, I was very happy. I think not having far
    to go, and going straight into a sideways roll (it's hard to go over the front of a recumbent, I
    should think) does make landings easier.

    On the other hand, beware of leg suck.

    And as Ian says - top tip for riding on ice is get a decent number of wheels, and then go
    looking for it.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  16. Jake

    Jake Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > text.cableinet.net...
    > >

    > > Doesn't black ice have a distinctive sheen to it? Are your lights up to
    > the
    > > job?
    > >

    > Quite possibly - but they dont point down enough!!!

    I run a pair of Lumi's with the flood pointing down at the road and the spot pointing ahead which
    has seemed to avoid wet leaves & drain covers so far in fog, rain etc.. Still invisible to white van
    man though...

    Jake

  17. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > > > Anyone have any tips for spotting or riding over black ice - i THINK
    my
    > > > slide may have happened because I braked or turned - i presume the
    same
    > > > rules apply for if i was driving a car - try and avoid it?!
    > > >
    > > we got black ice. 2 many nig nogs skating on lake
    > >

    > Which lake would that be?

    a black one ;-)

  18. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > my
    > same
    > > > >
    > > > we got black ice. 2 many nig nogs skating on lake
    > > >

    > > Which lake would that be?
    >
    > a black one ;-)

    Not a funny one then ...